Bike Resurrecting Guru

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Came across this guy's YouTube channel and he's really into resurrecting and restoring Kawasaki Z1900s and others. Videos are kind of long, but you can skip through parts if bored. Pretty amazing on how some of these leave compared to how they arrived.

I wonder how much money some of these guys put into their basket case to get them back on the road in relatively decent shape.

Here's just one ... you can go to his channel and see all the bikes he's brought back to life.

Thanks for the video. Amazing how they can identify the year of all those old parts just by glancing at them. I would give up my Harley for my old 1975 900 Z1 in a heart beat!

I have an old Honda XL100 and the amount of work that thing is taking is stunning. Restoring old bikes is not a simple or cheap matter.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Thanks for the video. Amazing how they can identify the year of all those old parts just by glancing at them. I would give up my Harley for my old 1975 900 Z1 in a heart beat!

You can buy a brand new and far better version of that old classic, right now.

Z900RS

Originally Posted by 02SE

Z900RS

I remember when the Z1900 came out ... I was a punk kid working summers at a Kawasaki cycle shop and was in awe of that bike. Guys would buy it and put on a 4 into 1 exhaust system and cruise around looking all bad.

It's pretty cool that Kawasaki brought that bike back ... looks pretty nice. I bet those guys who had their 70s 900 rebuilt/restored probably spent enough to buy a new one, but their old bike probably had some kind of sentimental value from the stories they tell about them.

What year did Kawasaki bring back the 900? I see they show 2019 models. The 2019 looks like the same color scheme as the original.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Z900RS

I remember when the Z1900 came out ... I was a punk kid working summers at a Kawasaki cycle shop and was in awe of that bike. Guys would buy it and put on a 4 into 1 exhaust system and cruise around looking all bad.

Most likely a Kerker pipe. It would be a few years before I started riding dirtbikes.

It's pretty cool that Kawasaki brought that bike back ... looks pretty nice. I bet those guys who had their 70s 900 rebuilt/restored probably spent enough to buy a new one, but their old bike probably had some kind of sentimental value from the stories they tell about them.

What year did Kawasaki bring back the 900? I see they show 2019 models. The 2019 looks like the same color scheme as the original.

I believe it was released in '18. I'm not sure, as I'm more into the pure performance bikes. If I were more nostalgic about the original Z1, I'd buy this new version in a heartbeat. Approx. 50 more hp than the original, and just a much better bike all around

[Linked Image]

Tucked into a fetal ball on Waldo's Ocelot faired Z1 was my first crack at 100mph San Bernardino...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I wonder how much money some of these guys put into their basket case to get them back on the road in relatively decent shape.

Far more than any *SANE* person would consider.... this is a labor of love. PERIOD.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I have an old Honda XL100 and the amount of work that thing is taking is stunning. Restoring old bikes is not a simple or cheap matter.

1000% TRUTH. They are the epitome of being "nickel-and-dimed to death" !!

Z900RS

These look cool.

They say that they have "authentic retro styling." I wonder what "inauthentic retro styling" would be?

Finding the correct as it left the factory parts, is what makes it worth more to a collector. Or when entered into a show. The same thing apply's to cars, trucks , boats or what have you. You can always cobble a vehicle together with the wrong parts, or from different year vehicles. Attention to detail when restoring the vehicle correctly isn't always easy, but will pay off in the end.,,,

That guy is local to me and a good source for Z1 parts but don't think you will be getting a deal. He tried to purchase my 73 H2 750 from me when I rode into his shop with a friend looking to purchase a Z1 for himself.

Originally Posted by 1foxracing
That guy is local to me and a good source for Z1 parts but don't think you will be getting a deal. He tried to purchase my 73 H2 750 from me when I rode into his shop with a friend looking to purchase a Z1 for himself.

Ive watched quite a few of his videos, and while I understand he has an interest in zedbikes, he cant afford to be giving that stuff away.
some of those resto's would be in the 15 to twenty grand range, easily.

I have a 71 yamaha 650 SX1B that I bought in 71 with 2000 miles on it,, still sits in my garage now with 73K on it. I wonder if anyone would be interested in it?.

I had an XS1B for 15 years - I sold it in 2004, and there was a bit of a bidding war for it. It was about then I noticed XS650's were becoming the new trend. I wish I still had it, as my project frame was built for an XS1, not the '82 engine I have for it....I've had to shave off the starter mounts.

Of all the motorcycles have owned my 1971 Kawasaki Mach III was my favorite bike. Not the best in any way other the engine was so fun.

Back