Shield 9mm Unique powder

I carry a shield 9mm and realized I only had couple mags worth of hp loads. So I loaded up some xtp 124's with 4 gr. of Unique at 1.055. Hornady manual start load is 4 gr at 950 ft/sec. It wasn't the most accurate, but functioned fine and low recoil. Anyone else use Unique in 9mm and like it?

I like Ramshot Trueblue. Good for hot loads and it meters like water, so you get consistency in your rounds.

Last edited:
Unique makes a very good target load but its not really great for max power loads. Its also a bit on the dirty side. I use it in just about eveything .38 spec, 44 spec 45 acp and 9mm mostly for exactly what you found, nice mild target loads. If you play with the load a bit you can usually get acceptable accuracy.
You didnt say and I dont want to assume but dont use handloads for any kind of self defense. God forbid you ever have to use a gun you dont want to explain handloads. Even if they are lower power than factory you may get painted as trying to make a more deadly round. If possible always use something that approximates what LE is using, then you can claim you just use what the government suggests.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
No Unique is rather dirty. I use HS-6,Titegroup and Power Pistol.

I don't think it is as dirty as it used to be, honestly any more than PP or 231. PP in 45 auto I like. I have a lb of Titegroup. Thanks Johnny.

Originally Posted by samven
Unique makes a very good target load but its not really great for max power loads. Its also a bit on the dirty side. I use it in just about eveything .38 spec, 44 spec 45 acp and 9mm mostly for exactly what you found, nice mild target loads. If you play with the load a bit you can usually get acceptable accuracy.
You didnt say and I dont want to assume but dont use handloads for any kind of self defense. God forbid you ever have to use a gun you dont want to explain handloads. Even if they are lower power than factory you may get painted as trying to make a more deadly round. If possible always use something that approximates what LE is using, then you can claim you just use what the government suggests.

Thanks Samven, good advice.

The only 9mm I have is an old S&W 639, but most of what I've shot out of it since buying it has been Unique loads. I don't make a habit of sharing load data online, but most of what I've shot has been mid-range Lyman cast data under 124gr and 147gr Berry's plated bullets.

I've also used CFE Pistol and BE86 to great effect, but I love Unique in general, and if I were stuck on a deserted island with only one powder that's what it would be. Yes, it's dirty, but I have Unique loads for every single caliber I shoot, and they all work well.

I load A LOT of Unique. Not really any more dirt than other powders now. All my loads in 9mm, 38 Spl and 45 Colt are loaded with Unique.

I have never gone as low as 4.0grs though. Current load is 5.2 gr behind a Montana Gold International match 121gr. That is their 115gr HP jacketed bullet just filled with lead...super accurate and as cheap as cast bullets if you buy a 3800 case.

Originally Posted by ammolab
I load A LOT of Unique. Not really any more dirt than other powders now. All my loads in 9mm, 38 Spl and 45 Colt are loaded with Unique.

I have never gone as low as 4.0grs though. Current load is 5.2 gr behind a Montana Gold International match 121gr. That is their 115gr HP jacketed bullet just filled with lead...super accurate and as cheap as cast bullets if you buy a 3800 case.

You can buy RMR bullets for cheaper and do not need to buy 3800 at a time.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bul...r-truncated-cone-flat-point-matchwinner/

I've wanted to try Unique but have never gotten around to it. Seems like so many better powders out these days.

Originally Posted by hatt

I do buy from RMR. They Just don't shoot as good for me. Their open base TCFP don't seem as accurate as Montana gold bullets with a closed base...(lead inserted from the front)

Originally Posted by hatt

I do buy from RMR. They Just don't shoot as good for me. Their open base TCFP don't seem as accurate as Montana gold bullets with a closed base...(lead inserted from the front)

I'm sure the closed base have the potential to be a little more accurate but I don't shoot good enough to notice.
grin.gif

I think the reason Unique and Bullseye powders are still around is because they are used by a lot of older reloaders. Why, because they do cover the pistol and revolver segment and people have load data worked up for them. There certainly are newer powders out now that are cleaner and meter better. I have used it as well in rounds for 9mm, 38 SPL, and 44 SPL. These days I like CFE pistol, Power Pistol, and BE 86.

I loaded a lot with Unique, but when I discovered Titegroup I haven't used Unique since. No powders are 'clean' but Titegroup is 'cleaner' than Unique.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Alliant Sport Pistol. 4.0 to 4.4 with that bullet will run well and accurate .

I use Sport Pistol also, but I'm loading powder coated lead for steel targets, so my velocity is not as stout and it is loaded short for my shorter chamber guns.

There is lots of info on the brian enos forum for 9mm/38 reloading if you need data for Unique.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I think the reason Unique and Bullseye powders are still around is because they are used by a lot of older reloaders. Why, because they do cover the pistol and revolver segment and people have load data worked up for them. There certainly are newer powders out now that are cleaner and meter better. I have used it as well in rounds for 9mm, 38 SPL, and 44 SPL. These days I like CFE pistol, Power Pistol, and BE 86.

I'm a young guy-32 now, and started reloading in my early 20s.

As I mentioned, I have a Unique load for every powder I shoot. I also have a closet full of powders, including most every handgun powder that Alliant makes along with plenty of Hodgden/Winchester, Accurate, Vihtavouri, and I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting.

Many powders I keep bunches of around(like a couple of cases of PB that I stocked up on when it was discontinued) because I've found that they really "sing" in a certain caliber. PB is my go-to 45 Colt powder, while I've yet to find a powder I like better for full power 38 Supers than Blue Dot(although CFE Pistol and Power Pistol are great choices in that caliber especially down loaded a bit). For the range-thumping, fire breathing loads in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt(Ruger only) nothing beats Win 296/H110(although I'm convinced that Alliant 300MP is also the same thing). For light target loads, especially 38 Special HBWCs, I've yet to find a replacement for Bullseye-I've tried Titegroup and don't find it as accurate int hat application as Bullseye.

Unique has a few specific applications for me. One of my favorites is what I've called my "357 Special Magnum" load-basically a 158gr SWC in a 357 Magnum case that's loaded a bit hotter than 38 Special +P velocities(i.e. you know it's a magnum) but takes the recoil and isn't as ear-splitting. I can make cloverleafs in the target all day with that load and not wear myself out shooting it.

The real strength to me in Unique, though, is that it really does work in everything. No, it's not optimum for everything(but is pretty darn close for older low-pressure rounds like 38 Special) but works for everything. It gives good enough case fill that it's easy to spot a double charge(unlike Bullseye or Titegroup) so I consider it a relatively safe powder.

I as well have shot 296, Blue Dot, and 2400 in magnum rounds for .357 and 44. I also agree there are cases where a certain powder really shines in a given caliber.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
These days I like CFE pistol, Power Pistol, and BE 86.
I have used quite a few as well, and previously used Accurate powders for decades after trying all of the usual suspects. However, Alliant BE-86 is now my "go-to" powder for everything I load. It meters well, has a lower flash signature, and is very clean.

Back