Bead Leak

I mounted a used tire (my snow tire) on an aluminium rim using a manual tire changer and ended up with a small leak where the bead sits on the rim.

The first photo shows the rim after I wire brushed it clean with a wire brush on an angle grinder. There was some black sealant in the bead area, Costco must have used it when they installed a tire on this rim many years ago. I got the rim pretty clean. The second photo shows the leak at the inside bead. I used Tire-Slick as mounting lubricant. Tire-Slick claims it helps seal the tire bead to the rim.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/16-oz-bead-lube/A-p8223208e

Before I take the wheel to a tire shop for balancing, I would like to eliminate the leak. I am thinking of breaking the inside bead and then cleaning up the rim where the leak is, apply a generous amount of Tire-Slick and then re-inflate the tire. Should I seat the beads and then let the air out again to let the Tire-Slick set up? Any other suggestions?

000_0186.jpg

000_0193.jpg

I am not familiar with Tire Slick, but it doesn't sound like it sets up. Dries, maybe.

It's possible that in the process of cleaning up the rim, you created a divot, a through - an area where the bead isn't sealing against because there is a porous, low spot.

First, try inflating the tire to 60 psi - No, it won't explode! That's to try to get the bead to seat better.

If that doesn't work, you may have to do what Costco did - apply a bead sealant. I don't know much about those, but there are folks how visit this part of BITOG who would be more experienced.

If that doesn't work, you may have to recoat the bead seat are with clearcoat. That could take some time to fully cure. We're talking a month.

Let the tire shop deal with the leak and replace the stem prior to balancing. They do it everyday, it's not worth your effort to mess with it.

Last edited:
Yeah, use the bead sealer and extra PSI.

While I, like you, use a wire brush on aluminum, there's a chance it can score the metal and create a leak path in a channel/groove it creates. So I use the brush sparingly to get old corrosion off then follow up with 150-220 grit sandpaper to try for a near-mirror finish. (Winds up looking satin)

But there are some wheel/tire combos that just need the black goo.

I hope once this tire is mounted you'll wear it out on this rim. I'd hate to do seasonal changes with a manual changer and mandatory goop.

[Linked Image from shop.advanceautoparts.com]

No, it was not a seasonal tire changeover. One of my summers wore out and my four snows, Michelin Latitude XIce, are at about 40% tread life remaining, so I am going to use one of my half worn snows as a summer tire. Not really sure how well that is going to work out but that is another discussion. I plan on getting two new snows for the rear come next winter.

I would have taken the wheel to Costco and let them do the swap but the snow tire is past the expiry date and I doubt Costco's policies would permit them to mount this tire.

I have some aggressive wire wheels and used the mildest one I have. Now that I am going to break the bead again, I will use some sand paper to smooth things out as suggested. More Tire-Slick and I will inflate to 60 psi. If that does not work I will get the Xtra Seal bead sealer.

SAME BOAT:
Parking lot ticking lead me to a 1/4" drive Torx bit stuck in one of my matched set of worn street tires I had just swapped back into service.

Got it in time.

I was relieved that I didn't have to play that "3 + 1 or 2" game. Mine too would've involved putting a worn snow or two into service.

The black stuff I'm familiar with. Many who use it professionally are asked to by agricultural customers.

I caught a break!

Was setting up to inflate the tire to 60 psi and, failing that, to break the bead. Sprayed some soap solution and the leak has stopped! I had left it inflated to 38 psi overnight.

Two possibilities I can think of
1) The bead eventually crept into place from the 38 psi pressure and made the seal. The Tire-Slick is pretty slippery stuff.
2) The Tire-Slick set up and stopped the leak. Perhaps it even works like Slime, it migrates to a leak and the air leaking past it sets it up.

Dunno which of the above two is more likely.

i have a question about the manual tire changer but I will start a new thread on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by George7941
……...1) The bead eventually crept into place from the 38 psi pressure and made the seal. …...

This one!

My experience is that the bead doesn't always settle into position right away. I've seen tires reduce their RoadForce, just by bouncing them around a bit.

Back