I'm going to run GP-1

Originally Posted by Red91
Yeah from what I've read driven really did their homework on this product.

I followed Lake and his team through over 2 years of dyno tests and several hundred camshafts to dial in that formula. There's a lot of R&D in it. I know of a couple 2000+hp nitrous engines running the 20w-50 version of it with great success.

Yeah its definitely going to be overkill for my application, but that's not anything new for bitog. I'm just going the old school route instead of running a euro synthetic.

I still have the 12 quarts of Driven LS30 that I picked up on Amazon for $35. That's going to be my next oil change in my 05 Impala.

I am going to purchase a case of driven's new GP-1 high performance oil for my 05 impala. I just felt like sharing. 10W-30 will be the grade.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I still have the 12 quarts of Driven LS30 that I picked up on Amazon for $35. That's going to be my next oil change in my 05 Impala.

You sure you wanna do that? Both of those have enhanced quantities of ZDDP which make them catalytic converter killers. I get that enough oil has to get past the rings to be harmful, but why? The GP-1 looks like the old Brad Penn that is now Penn Grade 1. I got a case of LS30 cheap too. Don't all LS motors have roller cams? Do they need that much ZDDP? I plan to use mine in a Gen 1 SBC with a mild hydraulic roller cam. The price was right.

Originally Posted by Randy_R
I am going to purchase a case of driven's new GP-1 high performance oil for my 05 impala. I just felt like sharing. 10W-30 will be the grade.

Originally Posted by JustN89

You sure you wanna do that? Both of those have enhanced quantities of ZDDP which make them catalytic converter killers. I get that enough oil has to get past the rings to be harmful, but why? The GP-1 looks like the old Brad Penn that is now Penn Grade 1. I got a case of LS30 cheap too. Don't all LS motors have roller cams? Do they need that much ZDDP? I plan to use mine in a Gen 1 SBC with a mild hydraulic roller cam. The price was right.

The damage to emissions has to have high amounts of oil consumption.

GP-1 is very different from the old Brad Penn. It's an entirely different add pack with a good bit more moly and boron.

ZDDP has benefits in areas other than the cam. Pretty much any area that operates in mixed or boundary lubrication will benefit. It also has the secondary benefit of being an anti-oxidant. We're also talking about a more reactive secondary alkyl ZDDP.

LS30 has 2 different types of moly additives and a good bit of ester also.

Although I've always preferred a little more zinc in my oil, that's not my reasoning behind choosing this product. I like the moly and boron content that RDY4WAR spoke of, as well as the lubricating properties of the Penn crude source base stock. At the moment the 3400 in my car has not consumed more than a half quart in 5000 miles, this last interval it consumed no discernible amount at all. I'm not particularly concerned about the converter.

For anyone interested, I ordered my oil last night. Hopefully it'll come in Friday. I'm kind of kicking around doing a voa. Anyone interested in seeing that?

For anyone interested, I ordered my oil last night. Hopefully it'll come in Friday. I'm kind of kicking around doing a voa. Anyone interested in seeing that?

yes.

Alright. It will probably be may before I send a sample. Hopefully all the shutdowns will be lifted by then, so mailing an oil sample won't be taboo lol.

Originally Posted by A_Harman

yes.

Yes, me too

I will more than likely send one off then. The gp-1 is supposed to have a pretty good helping of molybdenum and boron, in addition to higher zinc.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There we go.

Back