Neighborly advice, how I hate it !!!

My good neighbor came over to see what I was up to, while changing the oil and transaxle fluid in my JD 425. He noticed I was putting regular dino ST oil in it, but that I was using JD brand Low Vis HyGard for the hydrostat. It immediately launched him into his "days of yore" when he worked for AutoZone, probably 20 years ago. He proceeded ton inform me that you can't mix syn and dino oil, and that once you switch to syn, you can never go back, not to mention syn will cause leaks in gaskets. He then seemed surprised that I wasn't using JD brand oil in the engine, when I WAS using JD hydro fluid. Don't you hate it when someone decides to share their knowledge with you when you didn't solicit it. I mean I know he thinks he's being helpful, but geesh!
I guess I just wanted to rant a bit, but could we all put one thing to bed for good. I told him that in a push mower, you could probably run the oil for 50K miles in your car, drain it out and run it for life in your mower, they're that tough, and not picky. I have in the past switched oil brands and from syn to dino with no problems for over 730 on this tractor, and many, many more hours on several other tractors. I mow 5+ acres a week, and so far so good. Now obviously, for the best care, any decent oil of almost any viscosity, would do just fine. Change it once in a while and you'll be miles ahead of 95% of the mowers cutting grass right now.
I use decent oil, usually ST 15w40 in my tractor, (or 5w40 syn in really cold weather), and have been very satisfied. As to the hydrostat, there is only one recommendation and that is to use Low Vis Hygard, now I don't doubt there's some equivalent out there, but I have only heard of one really good one, and it's hard to get and expensive, BUT HyGard is readily available and fairly cheap, and there is no evidence that JD engineers are fools, so I use it. At $10K a tractor, and a hydro costing a couple of grand easy, I can yield to their knowledge and use it.
After explaining all this to my neighbor, he walked off like I was crazy and my mower would be blowing up soon, this from a guy with a normal lot size yard, he push mows, and I'm guessing he's never owned a tractor in his life.
Ok I feel better I've got this off my chest, I just can't abide all the old wives tales and myths about taking care of cars and OPE. It makes me cringe whenever I go into AZ or one of the other auto parts stores, if this is any indication of the advice they're spewing to their customers.
Oh well, this isn't new and won't ever stop.

Very few people ever change oil in a mower or even take care of any lawn equipment. I'm the only nutcase who changes the oil in my deere self propelled, most people I know run them until they are dry and the motor seizes up.

My deere is 15 years old now no problems.

Sorry you had to waste your time and breath with this guy. As you know, he will not change his mind and you'll retain your own opinion based on experience and knowledge.

Presently social distancing might be the proper thing to mention to a doofus like this guy, keeps your blood pressure even.

Well i guess your neighbor would have a hard time understanding any Syn/Dino oils on the shelves in the stores.

Time bombs just waiting for someone to buy.

I guess Shell Rotella 15/40 syn blend oil in the Diesels we would see broken down trucks and cars scattered on every road and mile in the highway system?

NOT !

TOMB

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rob1715
You kids today with your Hi-Fi stereos and color television sets and telephones not attached to the wall. Back in my day all we had dirt, and we LIKED IT!!!!!

Walter?

Whimsey

Maybe ask him about anti-seize on park plugs?
Since I have messed up all my engines, including an original 1968 Corvette L36 427 by mixing oils and weights, maybe I might get the straight skinny on spark plugs?

If he's not too busy, that is...

Heh, at least he thinks he's trying to be helpful, instead of being a neighbor that smokes crack and throws parties in his back yard at 4AM.

Originally Posted by bchannell
My good neighbor came over to see what I was up to, while changing the oil and transaxle fluid in my JD 425. He noticed I was putting regular dino ST oil in it, but that I was using JD brand Low Vis HyGard for the hydrostat. It immediately launched him into his "days of yore" when he worked for AutoZone, probably 20 years ago. He proceeded ton inform me that you can't mix syn and dino oil, and that once you switch to syn, you can never go back, not to mention syn will cause leaks in gaskets. He then seemed surprised that I wasn't using JD brand oil in the engine, when I WAS using JD hydro fluid. Don't you hate it when someone decides to share their knowledge with you when you didn't solicit it. I mean I know he thinks he's being helpful, but geesh!
I guess I just wanted to rant a bit, but could we all put one thing to bed for good. I told him that in a push mower, you could probably run the oil for 50K miles in your car, drain it out and run it for life in your mower, they're that tough, and not picky. I have in the past switched oil brands and from syn to dino with no problems for over 730 on this tractor, and many, many more hours on several other tractors. I mow 5+ acres a week, and so far so good. Now obviously, for the best care, any decent oil of almost any viscosity, would do just fine. Change it once in a while and you'll be miles ahead of 95% of the mowers cutting grass right now.
I use decent oil, usually ST 15w40 in my tractor, (or 5w40 syn in really cold weather), and have been very satisfied. As to the hydrostat, there is only one recommendation and that is to use Low Vis Hygard, now I don't doubt there's some equivalent out there, but I have only heard of one really good one, and it's hard to get and expensive, BUT HyGard is readily available and fairly cheap, and there is no evidence that JD engineers are fools, so I use it. At $10K a tractor, and a hydro costing a couple of grand easy, I can yield to their knowledge and use it.
After explaining all this to my neighbor, he walked off like I was crazy and my mower would be blowing up soon, this from a guy with a normal lot size yard, he push mows, and I'm guessing he's never owned a tractor in his life.
Ok I feel better I've got this off my chest, I just can't abide all the old wives tales and myths about taking care of cars and OPE. It makes me cringe whenever I go into AZ or one of the other auto parts stores, if this is any indication of the advice they're spewing to their customers.
Oh well, this isn't new and won't ever stop.

I usually respond to people like the OP's neighbor, on any topic, with something like, "I used to think the same thing," then provide a source for them to explore on their own (e.g., BITOG.com, manuals (who reads the manual these days; more over, who trusts the manual!!!??? lol). If they want to argue, I simply say that I always appreciate learning something new, if he or she is willing to provide me a source to explore on my own. Otherwise, opinions are like anuses...

I usually leave out the bit in brackets, "I used to believe the same thing...[back when I was a no-nothing teenagers; before the internet, etc.]" to prevent conflict.

My standard response is to defuse a possible argumentative discussion so we can separate with no hard feelings. I usually do this by saying " you are probably correct and will give your suggestion more thought next time is service it" ed

...he walked off like I was crazy...
Are you maybe perhaps a little bit kinda crazy?
shocked2.gif

My neighbors know I have challenges navigating through the harbor so they give me plenty of space. Even before now.
And they're chill.

There is only one DIYer on our quiet cul-de-sac. Some wondered why I so frequently am 'working' on my machines.
They quickly came to realize that playing in the garage is a hobby.

Don't you hate it when someone decides to share their knowledge with you when you didn't solicit it. I mean I know he thinks he's being helpful, but geesh! .

This is almost every thread on BITOG, you should be used to it!

JD L110 got 2 qts of Royal Purple and new WIX 1036 oil filter every time I stored it for the winter. Ran it all summer, next fall oil was a dark tea color when it changed again for storage. Sold it and it's still running.

With people like that I'll have my say and leave it at that. No need to enter an argument. What they say does not personally affect me.

Back