What is the first album/tape/CD you ever purchased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1969 New York Mets Win the Eastern Division of the National League.

I forget if that was the title.

It was in the stores 4 sunrises after they won. I think a fellow Met fan stole it.

Went to Kresges(spelling?),a smaller version of Kmart, and bought "Emotional Rescue" on a 45. Would leave the overarm(yes, I had to Google it to find the proper name) in the open position so that it would repeat. Not popular with the parents because I did this when I went to sleep.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I have had a LOT of albums, cassettes and 8-tracks given to me before I ever purchased one for myself. Many I still have.

First ever purchased?
I think it was the Eagles Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) - in 1977
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

This is the best selling album of the 20th Century(Guiness Book of World Records) and this can never change as that century is now gone. It's a record(no pun) that will remain forever!

Last edited:
I had a ton of cassettes but not sure which one I got first. I do however remember my first cd as they were the cool new thing and kind of pricey at the time. I bought Hootie and the Blowfish Cracked Rear View at a pawn shop.

Other than children's stuff, when I was just a little kid I got a 45 of Booker T and the MG's - "Time is Tight" (I think it may have been the 'B' side with the more popular "Green Onions" but I have always loved Time is Tight).

First album I bought, several years later, was Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" at Woolco.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The first record I can remember actually buying with my own money was the 45 "Blinded By The Light" by Manfred Mann. I think it cost me 75 cents and I remember walking in the record store with my dad, finding it in the 45s section, and laying it and my one dollar bill on the counter. I had an old vacuum tube record player from the 1950s my dad had given me to play it on. That must've been 1977 so I would've been 8 years old. I still have it and it's totally worn out! God those were the days!!

My first 45 was Manfred Man also, but it was "Sha-la-la." I was a BIG Beatles fan and this song has a a bridge that was likely produced to sound very Lennon- ish Beatlesque - and I went for it hook line and sinker.
. I think that was 1964 or 65.

My First Album was The Beatles Second Album U.S. release on Capitol; got that shopping with my Mother at a downtown dept store with my allowance.

I still have it. I think i cost like $2.78

I also have a broadcast master copy of Beatles Abbey Road on Reel - to- Reel, But I sold my Ampex R2R ages ago.

-Ken

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by atikovi
Never cared enough for any music to pay for a tape or CD or download.

What a freakin downer man!

You could also say that about vegetarians, those that don't drink, people who never owned an Italian car, etc. I don't hate music, just don't like it enough to spend money on it.

You could also say that about vegetarians, those that don't drink, people who never owned an Italian car, etc. I don't hate music, just don't like it enough to spend money on it.

What do you like to spend money on?

Originally Posted by John_K
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue (around 1978).

Me too!

It's great to see so many fellow ELO fans. I must be a little older than the rest of you. The first album I ever purchased was ELO - On the Third Day. It was about 1973 and I was 13 years old.

I vividly remember the release of Out of the Blue. It was 1977 and I was 17 years old. I was in AIT at the beginning of my army enlistment. Out of the Blue was a monumental album for me too.

Also, wanted to add that I first saw ELO in concert in February 1976 and again in May 1978 for the Out of the Blue tour

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

What do you like to spend money on?

Cars of course.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
Originally Posted by John_K
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue (around 1978).

Me too!

It's great to see so many fellow ELO fans.

My parents had a bunch of ELO tapes and got me hooked on it. Listening to this compilation right now...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back