What are the top of line LV trans fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SoNic67
[

...For LV fluid I am using Valvoline MaxLive (full synth Mercon LV compatible). I would also use Motorcraft LV ( hydroprocessed base oils), Amsoil (Fuel Effiecient line), Red Line D6. Although for a Fusion those last ones might be overkill.
The Motorcraft Mercon LV has a viscosity index (@100C) of 6.0
Valvoline MaxLive has 5.9
AMSOIL OTL has 5.8
Red Line D6 has 6.3

BTW, Mobil 1 Synthetic has 7.25. IMO that's too high for an LV fluid.
Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP has 5.7, but is listed only for GM. Probably not a big deal, but... IDK.

I think you meant to say:

The Motorcraft Mercon LV has a viscosity (@100C) of 6.0
AMSOIL OTL has 5.8
Red Line D6 has 6.3

Viscosity and Viscosity Index are two different measures.

I decided to try Castrol Transmax Multi Vehicle. Licensed for both Dextron VI and Ford LV.... Visc is 5.9

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by SoNic67
[

...For LV fluid I am using Valvoline MaxLive (full synth Mercon LV compatible). I would also use Motorcraft LV ( hydroprocessed base oils), Amsoil (Fuel Effiecient line), Red Line D6. Although for a Fusion those last ones might be overkill.
The Motorcraft Mercon LV has a viscosity index (@100C) of 6.0
AMSOIL OTL has 5.8
Red Line D6 has 6.3

BTW, Mobil 1 Synthetic has 7.25. IMO that's too high for an LV fluid.
Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP has 5.7, but is listed only for GM. Probably not a big deal, but... IDK.

AMSOIL OTL has 5.8
Red Line D6 has 6.3

How important is the flashpoint of a transmission fluid ?
As far as choosing a fluid. Is higher better ? Or not so important in the equation.
I've listed a few brands to show the difference in LV type fluids

Motorcraft : 216c / 421f
M1 HP: 233c / 451f
Castrol Transmax : 177c / 350f
Pennzoil LV : 190c / 374f
Redline D6: 249c / 480f

Thanks for your input ðŸ‘

It's the temperature that the fluid can ignite at. As far as "quality" of the transmission fluid, I'd say it's a non-factor. It's only listed for safety-related reasons. If your ATF reaches any of the temps listed, you've got much bigger issues or concerns.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

AMSOIL OTL has 5.8
Red Line D6 has 6.3

You are correct. I don't know who put the "index" word in there
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by kstanf150

How important is the flashpoint of a transmission fluid ?
As far as choosing a fluid. Is higher better ? Or not so important in the equation.
I've listed a few brands to show the difference in LV type fluids

Motorcraft : 216c / 421f
M1 HP: 233c / 451f
Castrol Transmax : 177c / 350f
Pennzoil LV : 190c / 374f
Redline D6: 249c / 480f

Thanks for your input ðŸ‘

It shows indirectly the strenght of chemical bonds inside that fluid. When heated, lighter fractions in the oil evaporate and those vapors ignite.
I see it useful as a prediction of how stable will be the fluid when "cooked" at higher temperatures, how many light fractions it has inside, ready to vaporize.
IMO good synthetic oils have over 205-210C.

In engine oils that number can be very useful (by estimating the lost of lighter fractions with temperature). Those fractions tend to be recirculated by PCV valve and burned, leaving the base oil different from initial formulation.
In a transmission, with lots of rubber seals, higher temperatures will affect those seals too, maybe sooner than the oil itself.
So even if the transmission oil is not affected, you don't want to let it heat too much to damage the seals.

However, IMO, that number still shows the quality of oil stock and it's stability in time, the resistance to make sludge. AMSOIL kind of hints that too.
AMSOIL "OE series" has flash points of 208/210C (normal/LV) while their "Signature series" (more expensive) has flash points of 234/224C (normal/LV). I think that the different additive packs make a difference too in there.

PS: I have used Castrol Transmax in my older transmissions, just because it's one of the best non-LV fluids (except Amsoil, the synthetics ones are usually LV). I don't think it belongs in a LV transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
It's only listed for safety-related reasons.

It's not that. It's the way manufacturers show indirectly if their base oil is of a premium or good stock, and how good is the process that created them (Group III/IV) and maybe how many additives they need to add to the base oil. Additives break down at high temperatures and sometimes they are the ones that "flash".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil#Performance

Last edited:
To answer the OP's question...I would say Redline D6 is the top of the line LV ATF.

I have the same engine/tranny combo as the OP in my 2016 Escape and I have used the Castrol both times I changed it.
I changed the OE fluid at 16K and again at 32K using the D&R of the amount drained...I also added LG Red each time.

These are known to turn the ATF brown very quickly in this trans (6F35) but I'm not sure it means anything. I'll probably start extending D&R's to 25 or 30K now that the break-in swill is gone. If I was doing 50 or 60K OCi's of the ATF I'd probably spring for the Redline D6.

I've got on hand 12 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum LV I'm gona use in my F250 and I also acquired 12 quarts of
Mobil 1 LV HP fluid that's Dexron IV rated. I was gona use the Mobil for either my wife's 2017 Lincoln or my truck
But after emailing Mobil 1 tech line my reply back from Mobil 1 was a BIG NO !
Not to use in a Ford, so I've got 12 quarts of fluid I can't use.

If something is dexronVI rated then it meets the mercon lv rating. Those fluids are interchangeable. It might not be licensed for it, but it will work in that application.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
If something is dexronVI rated then it meets the mercon lv rating. Those fluids are interchangeable. It might not be licensed for it, but it will work in that application.

That's what I believe also, but Mobil 1 says the HP fluid is not compatible for a Ford tranny. So as of now I'm gona take their word for it since they know more than I.
$90 bucks of fluid is not worth a damaged transmission

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by Jetsfan421

That's what I believe also, but Mobil 1 says the HP fluid is not compatible for a Ford tranny. So as of now I'm gona take their word for it since they know more than I.
$90 bucks of fluid is not worth a damaged transmission

There was a whole post by tig1 recently about this.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by pbm
To answer the OP's question...I would say Redline D6 is the top of the line LV ATF.

100% curious only, but why do you say Redline ? Cost alone ?

Originally Posted by pbm

I once read on a Ford forum of somebody using Redline D6 in their 6F35 with great results and I think he claimed it didn't turn brown quickly like regular Mercon LV. Plus, Redline does make top shelf products rather than producing to a price point. Once again, this is just my opinion....

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by pbm

I once read on a Ford forum of somebody using Redline D6 in their 6F35 with great results and I think he claimed it didn't turn brown quickly like regular Mercon LV. Plus, Redline does make top shelf products rather than producing to a price point. Once again, this is just my opinion....

Ahh yes, the "I heard a guy online say it was good once" standard.

Originally Posted by pbm
...it didn't turn brown quickly like regular Mercon LV.

Ford has apparently published a 'tech document' that went to dealer service shops advising them that the change in color means absolutely nothing as far as the performance of the fluid goes. In the old days, the color of the fluid was in fact one of multiple indicators of the fluid's condition but at least with Mercon LV, it's not accurate. Sadly, it still gets a negative knock....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back