Feral hogs in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not know there were feral hogs that far north.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Where do you think Canadian Bacon comes from?
lol.gif

From Egg McMuffins. ? ?? I figure.

Never heard of them surviving this far north. Where do they go when it's -30? Not sure the sighting of 8 hogs constitutes an "invasion". This seems to be written as click bait more than anything. Maybe a farmer had some pigs get out, but without shelter, they will have a very tough winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tcp71
Never heard of them surviving this far north. Where do they go when it's -30? Maybe a farmer had some pigs get out, but without shelter, they will have a very tough winter.

They seem to be very adaptable. They survive in Russia's winters including the Siberia too. Not saying anything about this article or it's accuracy either, just comments about these hogs.

the answer is reestablishing the predator/prey balance. Unfortunately brainless human society hunted wolves nearly to extinction, it is interesting to note that they have been reintroduced into some parks to control the populations of deer etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar#Predators

"The grey wolf is the main predator of wild boar throughout most of its range. A single wolf can kill around 50 to 80 boars of differing ages in one year.[3] In Italy[51] and Belarus' Belovezhskaya Pushcha National Park, boars are the wolf's primary prey, despite an abundance of alternative, less powerful ungulates.[51] Wolves are particularly threatening during the winter, when deep snow impedes the boars' movements. In the Baltic regions, heavy snowfall can allow wolves to eliminate boars from an area almost completely. Wolves primarily target piglets and subadults and only rarely attack adult sows. Adult males are usually avoided entirely."

Last edited:
Tikka, your question of feral pig vs wild boar was excellent! Why delete it??

This article suggests that everything left in north America is some sort of feral pig, not a true wild hog species: https://shwat.com/know-your-prey-the-differences-between-wild-and-feral/

Wild hogs were never native to north America (that we know).

"Usually when wild hog populations are brought by man to a region where they previously had not existed, they interbreed with domesticated hog populations along the way and they lose what makes them wild; for example, large populations of wild central European and Carpathian boars were brought in from Europe and purposefully set loose in North America. For a while, they lasted as functioning independent populations but over time they intermixed with the already present feral and domestic hogs until there were no wild hogs of any variety left."

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
the answer is reestablishing the predator/prey balance. Unfortunately brainless human society hunted wolves nearly to extinction, it is interesting to note that they have been reintroduced into some parks to control the populations of deer etc.

That simply will never happen. Man has touched nearly every square foot of the planet and our manipulation is part of the natural process. The wolf population on our Isle Royale that has been studied for decades died off recently, allowing the Moose population to explode, causing lots of vegetation damage. Instead of allowing the island to develop "naturally", we reintroduced wolves. How is that natural?

We kill sharks, mountain lions, cougars, and skunks that infringe on our human territory. There is no way we would ever allow a natural predator/prey balance to exist.

That's in a human controlled park setting. I'm not disagreeing that it is an effective management strategy. I'm saying that outside a park environment, it would take a huge change of human understanding for it to be an effective method in the "wild".

Michigan now has a hunting season for wolves in our Upper Peninsula.

Here's an article that shows human activities trump nature: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...tioned-michigan-wolf-killing/2268242002/

Humans don't tolerate wild things interfering with our agenda. To keep things in perspective, we kill mice that try to co-inhabit our homes. Farmers see wolves killing their herd (livelihood) in a similar fashion.

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
"The grey wolf is the main predator of wild boar throughout most of its range. A single wolf can kill around 50 to 80 boars of differing ages in one year.[3] In Italy[51] and Belarus' Belovezhskaya Pushcha National Park, boars are the wolf's primary prey, despite an abundance of alternative, less powerful ungulates.[51] Wolves are particularly threatening during the winter, when deep snow impedes the boars' movements. In the Baltic regions, heavy snowfall can allow wolves to eliminate boars from an area almost completely. Wolves primarily target piglets and subadults and only rarely attack adult sows. Adult males are usually avoided entirely."

The problem with these feral pigs is that they're reverting to the traits of the wild boar, but they keep the size of the hybridization, making them a lot more dangerous.

There were three large ones spotted outside my small city in the spring. My understanding is that they destroy crops and multiply like crazy. The provincial government put out a questionnaire last fall I believe on evasive species and wanted some guidance on next steps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cb450sc
There were three large ones spotted outside my small city in the spring. My understanding is that they destroy crops and multiply like crazy. The provincial government put out a questionnaire last fall I believe on evasive species and wanted some guidance on next steps.

Yup, they've been appearing in Ontario, if they aren't already, I expect they'll be given pest status so you can just shoot them. A hog shoot would be a heck fo a lot of fun IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back