Mazda - FW6A-EL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the 6 speed AT in the Mazda line. Shifting is precise and the sport mode works well. In sport mode it even downshifts as you drop speed, very similar to a manual. While 6 speeds are becoming rare as most moved on to 8,9 and 10, I'm glad they still went with an automatic rather than a CVT. I'm not against CVTs as some are quite good IMO, but this AT is nice.

The first few hundred miles it was a bit clumsy but it has smoothed out. I've either adapted to it, or it has adjusted to my driving.

Link

I'm proud of Mazda they haven't went cvt.. it proves 6spd autos can get good fuel economy.

Is that trans similar to the 6F35 6 speed in my 2017 Fusion? Does it require a LV ATF? I recently changed over to M1 LV ATF with positive shifting up and down. And no it doesn't have the Ford spec but does shift better since the change.

The SkyActiv 6 speed is a great trans. I really liked it in my 6. My current ride with the Aisin 8spd transaxle is just too busy shifting all the time. Better off the line, but the engine doesn't need 3 overdrive gears that drop 300 rpms/gear.

Tig, it uses the blue FZ fluid unique to SkyActiv.

The Mazda transmission largely runs fully locked-up, as I understand it. Others more sage in these matters, please step-in... but is it possible that the Mazda 6AT shifts while the torque converter clutch remains locked-up?

Apparently the clutch is quite small, and the lockup happens at low road-speed, early-on. There have been a few occasions where the Mazda trans behaves strangely at the lowest of roadspeeds, as the car comes to a stop. Like when for whatever reason the lock-up does NOT come unlocked like it should. Not sure the problem is wide-spread, though. In general, on the Mazda forum I am on, problems with this transaxle are few and far between.

As a side matter, the Mazda6 with the 6AT is about a half-second quicker to 60mph than the car is with the 6MT.

Last edited:
There have been a few occasions where the Mazda trans behaves strangely at the lowest of roadspeeds, as the car comes to a stop.

I noticed a bit of this the first few hundred miles. Car and Driver and Motorend also did too. They described it as a bit clumsy and lower speeds. It is very minor.

Hmmmm, I just bought a 2016 CX-5, and while the shifting is excellent, it does have a vibration at lower speeds when accelerating from lower rpms. Feels like a shudder. It only happens when the transmission upshifts very quickly. From a stop when going slow, it feels like it gets to 3rd gear quickly and then if I accelerate a bit harder from the bottom of the rpm range, instead of downshifting, it stays in the higher gear and shakes/shudders a bit. The engine has so much low range torque though, it can accelerate quickly from 2,000 rpms onward without needing to downshift.

Anyone else notice this with a Skyactive 6 speed?

The tendency to upshift early and then shudder on acceleration at those low-rpm's-in-gear is prevalent with the VW automated dual-clutch manual... DQ250(?). Sorry, I keep forgetting it's commercial name.... it's VW's equiv. of the DCT or PDK... Exactly the same thing is happening: being in direct-drive (no torque converter slippage) at ultra-low rpm's. A bit of engine labouring happening.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Drew99GT

The engine has so much low range torque though, it can accelerate quickly from 2,000 rpms onward without needing to downshift.

Don't agree with you, there, re the Skyactiv-G 2.5 in ur CX-5. Unless it's tuned differently in the '16 6AT version versus the '17 6MT in my Mazda6. I doubt that. Mine, I find, has a paucity of torque until about 2800 rpm's. I wanna get a tune based on 91 octane that concentrates on bolstering that bottom-end rpm regime. I would concede though that the gearing is different in your 6AT versus my 6MT. Torque multiplication though is not at play for what you describe.

I'm more fussy than I should be for the cost of the car, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by Drew99GT

The engine has so much low range torque though, it can accelerate quickly from 2,000 rpms onward without needing to downshift.

Don't agree with you, there, re the Skyactiv-G 2.5 in ur CX-5. Unless it's tuned differently in the '16 6AT version versus the '17 6MT in my Mazda6. I doubt that. Mine, I find, has a paucity of torque until about 2800 rpm's. I wanna get a tune based on 91 octane that concentrates on bolstering that bottom-end rpm regime. I would concede though that the gearing is different in your 6AT versus my 6MT. Torque multiplication though is not at play for what you describe.

I'm more fussy than I should be for the cost of the car, though.

I don't think the 6 has any power either. I drove an 03 accord with 2.4 4 cylinder and it had way more power. The 2017 6 i have now is fine for a daily, and can be fun because it handles so well and is pretty stiff but still comfortable, but power is really lacking. Also spent many years with a 550+ rwhp mustang drag car as well. Obviously anything feels worse than 550+ at the wheels, but having worked at a dealer for a long time and daily driving an accord and this 6 for the past 8 years or so, I am pretty used to daily driver dynamics too.

A 2.5 litre 4 with 13:1 compressiin OUGHT to have more jam than my Mazda6 does. Midrange is decent enough... but I want a less "cammy" ride and so, therefore, I am considering the tune based on 91 octane, concentrating on the bottom rpm regimes. I will run 94 octane in this 'cuz i) no ethanol; and ii) less fuel enrichment to quell "pinging" (staving-off potential motor oil dilution).

I want to be able to drive it like grandma in the city, i.e. without having to rev it out in 1st (to avoid being smacked from behind, on my 1st to 2nd shift... 6MT).

A 2.5 litre 4 with 13:1 compressiin OUGHT to have more jam than my Mazda6 does. Midrange is decent enough... but I want a less "cammy" ride and so, therefore, I am considering the tune based on 91 octane, concentrating on the bottom rpm regimes. I will run 94 octane in this 'cuz i) no ethanol; and ii) less fuel enrichment to quell "pinging" (staving-off potential motor oil dilution).

I want to be able to drive it like grandma in the city, i.e. without having to rev it out in 1st (to avoid being smacked from behind, on my 1st to 2nd shift... 6MT).

Just trade it and get the turbo model. I had a 2.5 cx5 2015, and now a 2019 cx5 turbo. No comparison. I also drove a tuned 2016 cx5 with mods. It was okay, but nothing special vs my stock 2015. The turbo is where it is.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Just trade it and get the turbo model. I had a 2.5 cx5 2015, and now a 2019 cx5 turbo. No comparison. I also drove a tuned 2016 cx5 with mods. It was okay, but nothing special vs my stock 2015. The turbo is where it is.

Yeah... but I guess I still have this sickness called "manual-transmission-itis"... haha. So I'll keep my Mazda6 6MT and try to make incremental improvements. For how the turbo is set-up on the Skyactiv-G 2.5T (automatic available only) - it is better with the automatic, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back