Nickel vs Copper anti-seize

My understanding is that Nickel anti-seize can withstand higher temperatures than Copper anti-seize. Ford specified the use of the Motorcraft Nickel anti-seize in their TSB for the 3V V8 engines as well.

Aside from cost, is there any reason not to use Nickel anti-seize (instead of copper or aluminum)? The application is general automotive.

I used nickel antiseize everywhere for thirty years because I got a can of it gifted to me. This is well before I knew there were other types of antiseize. I see no problem using it anywhere.

Did you check their website?
It was my understanding, years ago, that Nickle-Ease was better on aluminum to aluminum threads, but could be used effectively elsewhere.

Copper was cheaper, so we started with that on steel bolts and flanges.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

I put that [censored] on everything.

Some sample SDS's:

Loctite 77124 (nickel): https://www.bettymills.com/product/MSDS/235028.pdf

Loctite N5000 (high-purity nickel): http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00012/88053293-20171201.PDF

Motorcraft XL2: http://www.jackbyrne.info/Msds%20PD...re%20Nickel%20Anti-Seize%20Lubricant.pdf

Permatex 77124: https://441py33rout1ptjxn2lupv31-wp...s/tech_docs/sds/01_USA-English/77124.pdf

Motorcraft and Loctite 77124 seem to be fairly similar. Permatex has the lowest amount of Nickel. Loctite N5000 is somewhere in between, but oddly enough, uses mineral oil as it's base.

How do these compare to a Molybdenum disulfide paste? I have used Never-Seeze brand for years. A little dab will do you. There is no comparison between it and the Permatex ANTI-SEIZE LUBRICANT Tom Slick posted a picture of above. Great on things that get hot like exhaust manifold nuts and bolts. They come off easily years later. Great for exhaust pipe connections.I tried the Permatex stuff. Exhaust manifold nuts did not want to come off after only a few weeks. The Molybdenum paste is certified for nuclear use. Be careful with anything requiring a lot of torque as it is so slick that you turn the fastener more times, stretching the bold and causing failure.

I do wish there was a single document that provided the best type for each application.

My general observation is:

- plain silver is ok for low temp stuff
- copper is also ok but I prefer to avoid copper and aluminum together.
- nickel is more expensive and possibly worse for you if exposed, but goes on everything.
- zinc is good for alloy wheels on steel hubs.

Originally Posted by borgward
How do these compare to a Molybdenum disulfide paste? I have used Never-Seize brand for years. A little dab will do you. There is no comparison between it and the Permatex ANTI-SEIZE LUBRICANT Tom Slick posted a picture of above. Great on things that get hot like exhaust manifold nuts and bolts.The Molybdenum paste is certified for nuclear use. Be careful with anything requiring a lot of torque as it is so slick that you turn the fastener more times, stretching the bold and causing failure.

I have been working on Pratt & Whitney and Allison/Rolls-Royce turbine engines for 30 years.

The burner can supports and igniters get nickel anti-seize. These fasteners are in the hot section, but NOT within the "exhaust stream" itself

Fasteners that ARE in the "exhaust stream" do indeed get Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly B) paste.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by borgward
How do these compare to a Molybdenum disulfide paste? I have used Never-Seize brand for years. A little dab will do you. There is no comparison between it and the Permatex ANTI-SEIZE LUBRICANT Tom Slick posted a picture of above. Great on things that get hot like exhaust manifold nuts and bolts.The Molybdenum paste is certified for nuclear use. Be careful with anything requiring a lot of torque as it is so slick that you turn the fastener more times, stretching the bold and causing failure.

I have been working on Pratt & Whitney and Allison/Rolls-Royce turbine engines for 30 years.

The burner can supports and igniters get nickel anti-seize. These fasteners are in the hot section, but NOT within the "exhaust stream" itself

Fasteners that ARE in the "exhaust stream" do indeed get Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly B) paste.

When I worked on turbines GE spec'd Milk of Magnesia for igniters. I don't remember what was spec'd by Allison. Have you seen Milk of Magnesia used on anything?

My neighbor, a technical salesman for Dow Corning, told me that anti-seize should contain only metals that are dissimilar to the ones that you are trying to keep from seizing. He gave me a 4 ounce sample tube; I think I still have some of it and that was 40 years ago.

Back