Gen 3 EcoDiesel - Proper oil spec?

Looks like the Valvoline MST is available on Walmart.com for around $62 for 9 quarts. That's not much more than Rotella T6. So that gives options.

I pressed AMSOIL a little on what oils they offer for the new EcoDiesel that meet MS-12991 and at first they didn't believe me. The second response is interesting. What do the experts here make of it? I certainly don't want to hurt the emissions system.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
OFFRD,

Ask Amsoil to provide you with FCA's Certification number for the Amsoil product they are specifying to you. I would wager a week's wages they will say that Amsoil "exceeds" the FCA spec which in "double-speak" means it's not certified by Fiat Chrysler America...

Originally Posted by OFFRD
I pressed AMSOIL a little on what oils they offer for the new EcoDiesel that meet MS-12991 and at first they didn't believe me. The second response is interesting. What do the experts here make of it? I certainly don't want to hurt the emissions system.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hi
Do I understand this correctly?

Jeep 2020 Ecodiesel = MS-12991

Ram 2020 Ecodiesel = MS-10902

Thanks.

Looks like FCA has updated the owners manual now, and it only shows the API SN rating and MS-12991 certification as being acceptable for this engine. I'm still using Valvoline MST 5W40 when I can find it, and today Valvoline confirmed for me that their new "European Vehicle 5W40" also meets spec and they are currently working to get this added to the PI sheets.

It's the least expensive oil I can find for this new EcoDiesel at around $6.50 per quart and seems to be good stuff.

I just talked to my dealers service department today because I was bringing in my 2020 eco diesel for its first change at 5,000 miles. I wanted to do my first change early since it’s common practice to get the brake in materials flushed out to reduce wear. They told me I could change the oil that early if I wanted, but that all the 3rd gen eco diesels are pre broken in on a Dyno and do not have any specific break in oil when the car is ready for sale. He also told me that the engines come with Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40 from the factory, and that FCA recommends only changing the oil filter once every other oil change or max 20,000 miles. Just thought I would share.

I just talked to my dealers service department today because I was bringing in my 2020 eco diesel for its first change at 5,000 miles. I wanted to do my first change early since it’s common practice to get the brake in materials flushed out to reduce wear. They told me I could change the oil that early if I wanted, but that all the 3rd gen eco diesels are pre broken in on a Dyno and do not have any specific break in oil when the car is ready for sale. He also told me that the engines come with Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40 from the factory, and that FCA recommends only changing the oil filter once every other oil change or max 20,000 miles. Just thought I would share.
I would not believe anything your dealer says. Follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. Dealership personnel come/go; the individual who gave you that information may not be around when it is time for a warranty claim.

Do these engines still have all sorts of problems?

I know a ecodiesel blown crank post happened daily on the dodge forums for a while and that dodge/fiat was playing with oil specs, wonder if it’s related

I would not believe anything your dealer says. Follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. Dealership personnel come/go; the individual who gave you that information may not be around when it is time for a warranty claim.
Yeah, interesting you said that because I always have that thought in the back of my mind. I decided to call another Ram dealership and ask their opinion this morning and they basically gave me the same answer in that there is no special break-in for the Gen 3 Engines, they also use Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40, and that they only change the oil filter every other oil change.
That being said, I will definitely change my oil at the set intervals and will also change the oil filter every change as well.

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with the new Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine. The owners manual is contradictory, and I want you guys' opinions on this.

Page 369 states, "The manufacturer recommends engine oils that meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-10902, and that are API CJ-4 certified."

On page 370 I read, "We recommend you use 5W40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required."

Then on page 424 it states, "We recommend you use 5W40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Pennzoil Platinumn Euro that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required."

An FCA forum representative claims on the Ram forum that the MS-12991 is the correct spec for this engine.

At my local stores, I've found 5W40 Shell Rotella T6 which I believe would meet the MS-10902 spec just fine, but I can't find any oil anywhere that meets MS-12991. The dealership sells it for over $10 per quart. They've quoted $250 total for oil and oil filter change.

What would you guys do? This truck has 1,000 miles on the odometer and my goal is maximum longevity.

If you have a preferred oil brand, reach out to their customer support to see if they have a product that meets the requirements in your manual. Not a chance that I'd pay $250 for an oil change. I did an oil & filter change in my 2012 6.7L Cummins last night for under $30, BTW It holds 3 gallons of oil...

Just my $0.02

Find a new dealer.....lol....and this is comes from a dealer tech!

Do these engines still have all sorts of problems?

I know a ecodiesel blown crank post happened daily on the dodge forums for a while and that dodge/fiat was playing with oil specs, wonder if it’s related

70k problem free miles on my 2015 EcoDiesel. I don't necessarily follow the manufacturer's oil recommendations to a T either. (knock on wood 🤞)

20200613_081242.jpg

(boondocking outside Zion, Utah)

Find a new dealer.....lol....and this is comes from a dealer tech!
I recently had to take mine in for its first oil change. The first change is on the dealer I bought it from, but I also called 5 other Ram dealers in my area and every single one told me that they use the Rotella T6 full synthetic on their oil changes. I just wanted to be sure after this comment.
Either all the Ram service centers in Denver are wrong, or.......

Straight from the owners manual as well:
Pg 358 "Diesel Engine Oil Selection" should meet the requirements of FCA Material Standards MS-10902, and that are API CJ-4 certified and meet the requirements of FCA LLC.
Pg 359 "Engine Oil Viscosity" 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standards MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 category is required.
Shell Rotella T6 meets both the MS-10902 and CJ-4 ratings. It’s also a low Ash oil.

Straight from the owners manual as well:
Pg 358 "Diesel Engine Oil Selection" should meet the requirements of FCA Material Standards MS-10902, and that are API CJ-4 certified and meet the requirements of FCA LLC.
Pg 359 "Engine Oil Viscosity" 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standards MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 category is required.
Shell Rotella T6 meets both the MS-10902 and CJ-4 ratings. It’s also a low Ash oil.
There should have been a supplement to the owners manual to clarify. MS-12991 is the correct oil spec for the Gen 3 Ecodiesel.

The 2021 manual correctly reflects this, refer to page 410:

There should have been a supplement to the owners manual to clarify. MS-12991 is the correct oil spec for the Gen 3 Ecodiesel.

The 2021 manual correctly reflects this, refer to page 410:

Thanks for sharing that. It definitely states differently in the 2021 manual. However, they do use the word “recommended”. If Shell Rotella T6 is what the dealers are using at oil changes, I feel fairly confident that if I were to have a warranty issue and state that’s the oil I’m using, it would be hard to deny that claim since that’s what my authorized dealer is using.
Honestly, it’s oil, it’s full synthetic, it’s for Diesel engines, it’s the right viscosity, how harmful is it really?
This is what my local dealers use, this is what my manual says, this is what I go with.
FTC doesn’t require me to do routine maintenance at a dealership or manufacturer, and it’s protected by law as long as I’m using what is in my owners manual.
If using anything but the specs provided in the 2021 manual were so detrimental to the engine that it was causing issues, I’m sure they would have made that fact very well known and clear to owners, almost like a recall notice.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that. It definitely states differently in the 2021 manual. However, they do use the word “recommended”. If Shell Rotella T6 is what the dealers are using at oil changes, I feel fairly confident that if I were to have a warranty issue and state that’s the oil I’m using, it would be hard to deny that claim since that’s what my authorized dealer is using.
Honestly, it’s oil, it’s full synthetic, it’s for Diesel engines, it’s the right viscosity, how harmful is it really?
This is what my local dealers use, this is what my manual says, this is what I go with.
FTC doesn’t require me to do routine maintenance at a dealership or manufacturer, and it’s protected by law as long as I’m using what is in my owners manual.
If using anything but the specs provided in the 2021 manual were so detrimental to the engine that it was causing issues, I’m sure they would have made that fact very well known and clear to owners, almost like a recall notice.
I just logged into the MyMopar portal and opened the digital owners manual for 2020MY Ram 1500's:

On page 380 it clearly states MS-12991 5W-40 is specified for the diesel engine. So, I think they did go back and update the owner's manual. Unfortunately, dealerships change management and ownership quite frequently so I would not count on using that justification in the event of a warranty issue. FCA will likely refer back to their copy of the 2020 owners manual which clearly states MS-12991 to be used. FTC protects the owner from having to use a specific brand or place for maintenance, but owners are certainly required to use products that meet a published spec - which is MS-12991 in this case.

For some reason, the Lubrizol Relative Performance Tool is missing performance data for the MS-12991 spec. But this oil is generally used in European vehicles with very stringent wear and deposit requirements (MB 229.5, Porsche A40, etc.) so I am inclined to believe that there is a benefit to using the proper oil.

Back