Rotational scraping/grinding noise only when braking hard and brakes are warm

I have a strange problem with my front driver side brakes or bearing? Everything feels fine when the car is cold or when I'm not putting much heat into the brakes. But when I really get on the brakes and they have a lot of heat in them they make a rotational grinding sound. This goes away after the brakes cool off a bit. I touch the rim after I get out and it is no hotter than the other side. I also only hear this sound under 30mph it seems. The brakes are 6 months old and have a lot of pad left.

I'm starting to believe it might be wheel hub related. Sometimes if I brake really hard and hear the rotational noise under braking it still can be heard (but not as loud) after I let off the brakes.

Any suggestions on this?

Originally Posted by wymi516
Just went through the exact same symptom on my daughters KIA. It was the rotor making the noise.

What was wrong with the rotor? Why does it only do it hot?

Had me stumped, had to drive and brake the car pretty hard. Never made a sound in normal driving and stopping, which is not how my daughter drives the car. It was just the front right rotor. It looked scalloped for lack of a better description. I grabbed 2 Durago rotors off RA for $50.00 shipped. I knocked the glaze off the pads, they have plenty left. No noise now at all. I believe the rotors got overheated and scorched from all the hard braking.

I had a 13 sonata for 70,000 miles which is essentially the same car. One thing I can tell you with those Hyundai and Kia cars with absolute certainty is that the brakes can be kind of funky. The company for some reason recommends cleaning those brakes and believe me you really should clean them. We had an Elantra 2015 did so much weird stuff with the break at 40,000 miles that I just tossed the caliper and put on a new one. Dragging, grabbing, sticking, weird stuff. Mine as well as my buddies 2012 Sonata seemed to wear out pads too fast as well. Of course we live in the Rustbelt so always expect the worst under a car.
Try really cleaning out the area where the puck comes out as well as you can. I will sat washing hech out of that area with the We are on the car is absolutely useless. I wash my car is down at least weekly all winter long paying special attention to that area and it meant nothing. Really. clean it up with the pads off.

Originally Posted by wymi516
Had me stumped, had to drive and brake the car pretty hard. Never made a sound in normal driving and stopping, which is not how my daughter drives the car. It was just the front right rotor. It looked scalloped for lack of a better description. I grabbed 2 Durago rotors off RA for $50.00 shipped. I knocked the glaze off the pads, they have plenty left. No noise now at all. I believe the rotors got overheated and scorched from all the hard braking.

Did she also have the slight scraping sound even when you let off the brakes when it was really hot?

Yes, once the noise started I could hear a little noise even when not braking. when you change the rotors be sure to de-glaze the brake pads unless your going to change them.

I finally decided to throw a new rotor on it and deglaze the pads. It works great now! Hopefully it doesn't decide to gouge this rotor up as well!

Back