First vehicle you ever purchased?

Well, you have to agree that that in-line six is turbine-like in smoothness (as the ads went... and, in reality). I have always liked it. Thank you for sharing.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
This got me thinking while face timing with mom and stepdad this morning. My first car I purchased was when I was 16 and was a tank of a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 4dr. God, I somedays miss that car, learned a lot bout cars driving it and having a dad that knew GM stuff like a wizard helped. What was your first car you ever purchased?

Hold up, we have the same name, birthday, and now same first car? How in the world
lol.gif

Bought my 1987 Delta 88 back in 2005 and me and my father fixed the rust and repainted the whole car. Thing was a tank!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice paint job! Grandpa gave us his 89 Delta 88. I put in a Crutchfield sourced Kenwood stereo with Bluetooth, XM, CD, inputs and remote control. Two of my kids used it in high school. Light Blue with a dark blue vinyl top. Dark blue velour interior.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Delta
me and my father fixed the rust and repainted the whole car.

If you're in PA you know you never fix rust, you just give it a vacation.

Always loved the interiors on these cars.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

My first car was a '75 Ford Maverick 4-door, but it was my fiancee's car. The first I ever bought was the '65 Mercury Park Lane, the giant 4-door sedan with a trunk as big as a carrier's flight deck, a 390 Thunderbird engine (15 mpg on the highway!), leather interior and good A/C, and the rear power window. You remember, some of you, the "Breezeway" feature, so that the power window slid down behind the rear seat? On a cool day, you could roll down all 7 windows

(the 4 usual ones, plus the front vent windows, and the rear power window)

and drive at 60 without needing A/C. It cost me $500 to buy, a new set of bias-ply tires every year or so ($100/set then), and occasional ongoing repairs, but it was big and solid, and nobody else had one, even in 1981-85.

Originally Posted by hemitruck
67 cutlas, bought in 74.

We have a 1965 4-4-2. Maybe the best original one left.
Sue's father was a Doctor; in '65 he was looking for a family car.
She inherited her dad's beloved Oldsey. 97K, always garaged.
I have the build sheet.

Last edited:
'78 Chrysler Cordoba
Bought it in '98 for $400.
Even though it was rusty, had a lot of fun with that car. Haven't seen another one since.
Miss the sound of the Thermoquad opening under heavy acceleration.

1984 Mazda 626. Loved the 5 speed and the motorized swiveling vents. Paid $150 in 1992 because it needed a CV shaft and a water pump. I didn't notice that the engine mount had failed and the drivetrain was resting on a piece of tire. I drove the [censored] out of it.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
This got me thinking while face timing with mom and stepdad this morning. My first car I purchased was when I was 16 and was a tank of a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 4dr. God, I somedays miss that car, learned a lot bout cars driving it and having a dad that knew GM stuff like a wizard helped. What was your first car you ever purchased?

My first car I ever purchased was a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass supreme Brougham 2 door, maroon in color, with a 305 Chevy (Canadian spec). I bought it when I was 19. It was beautiful with newer paint, but I wasn't smart enough at that age and didn't catch the rust starting in the floor and frame. A few winters here and it was getting bad. I replaced it in another 5 years with my 84 Cutlass I have now which my friend helped me build out of 4 cars. The transmission and interior from the original car are still in my 87 and have over 270k miles on them.

I sort of overpaid on that first Cutlass because of the rust but it only had 120k at the time and mechanically it held up pretty good to my abuse. I did burnouts almost every time I drove it, lots of full throttle and high speed, only thing I broke was spider gears in the rear end but I wanted to upgrade to 3.73 gears anyway.

1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport. Champagne Gold with 351C and C4 transmission. It weighed 4,140 pounds, back in the day when cars had lots of steel in them.

1988 Chevy Caprice Police package "cop car-cop engine"
Made me appreciate neutral handling aka no understeer like front wheel drive cars. Was comfortable on highway. Money has been tight and bought 2000 Lexus LS400 for 3700 based on positive experience with Caprice.

82 Plymouth Sapporo 5 speed. Not a bad car for $3k used, I drove it like it was the last lap of a NASCAR race every day and it gave me 80k trouble free miles until it had something really expensive break. Traded it in for an 88 Pulsar, it think that thing had a dual rubber band engine but at least it was cool to drive when you took the T Tops off. Learned a lot about tinkering and maintenance on those 2 cars.

2001 Saturn SL 5speed MT with 88k I bought with cash from summer construction job. I would get 36mpg highway with the 100hp engine which was great because I was a broke college student. I used lots of Pennzoil 5W30 Yellow Bottle (BITOG favorite at the time) and SuperTech oil filters. I remember being so tight on money I even changed the oil in my dorm parking lot a few times by driving it up on the curb in the back of the lot. Not sure if I just didn't get caught or Campus PD took sympathy on me
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back