What do you put on your steak?

I will admit I usually put A1 steak sauce on mine. Sometimes nothing.

How about you? Nothing? Mushrooms? A different sauce?

Originally Posted by dadto2
Montreal steak seasoning.

Absolutely! This is my go to right now:

[Linked Image]

The last time I ate steaks regularly was before the Ponderosa around here closed back in the 80's. Three bucks for a small ribeye,Texas toast and all you can eat salad bar. If I try to make one it's tough as leather, and I can't see spending $15-$20 at Longhorn on one meal today.

Originally Posted by atikovi
The last time I ate steaks regularly was before the Ponderosa around here closed back in the 80's. Three bucks for a small ribeye,Texas toast and all you can eat salad bar. If I try to make one it's tough as leather, and I can't see spending $15-$20 at Longhorn on one meal today.

I recommend trying "reverse sear". Pretty easy to get it right, pretty hard to screw it up.

Originally Posted by Donald
Gave up on red meat.

If you gave it up for health reasons, you should read the fine print on the studies discouraging red meat, they usually have lumped it in with processed meat. So the people eating stuff like hot dogs 12 times a week probably don't eat good stuff in general and their poor health outcomes are giving steak a bad name which I don't think it deserves. If you get beef raised on grass and not in a feed lot, I think its quite healthy, with lots of good fats.

I like to cook my steak with salt and pepper rubbed in, or montreal steak spice. If I cook it inside I like to put some butter on a cast iron pan and have it browned and just starting to smoke when I put the steak on...

20.gif

For me it's normally nothing but a little salt and pepper. Sometimes I'll get wild and add sliced mushrooms, or some blue cheese crumbles.

The best steak I ever had though, was a ribeye I cooked over a wood fire on a small island in Prince William Sound while on a hunting trip. The mild smoke and good sear made that steak a religious experience!

Knife and fork
smile.gif

But seriously, sometimes I'll sautee some mushrooms and onions in butter and at the very end deglaze with a bit of Worcestershire in the cast iron skillet.

The steak itself is then seared in the same cast iron skillet and then broiled (either grill or indoors if weather) and then allowed to rest for 5 minutes while I set the table, etc.

Usually only salt and pepper on the steak, and then the mushrooms and onions if I made them.

I'll usually split the steak with oilBabe, as neither of us really need to eat an entire steak on our own.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I will admit I usually put A1 steak sauce on mine. Sometimes nothing.

How about you? Nothing? Mushrooms? A different sauce?

Grilled - Rare
With my own custom blend of spices added before the grill
just a tiny chunk of feta cheese with each bite...

Oh my...drooling now

Last edited:
a recent fav. of mine is to grill some onions with it. i've usually done this when the rest of the fam.is eating Liver & onions, just the smell of which cooking turns my stomach.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
God dammit, now I want a steak!
smile.gif

+1

I usually will have a tiny bit of A1 sauce, but for most steaks it isn't even needed. Nothing like some grass fed filet.

An old coworker of mine used to say in his southern accent when asked at restaurants what kind of steak sauce he wanted: "now why would I insult a delicious steak with something like that".
lol.gif

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Originally Posted by atikovi

I recommend trying "reverse sear". Pretty easy to get it right, pretty hard to screw it up.

I saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPjSap5qjoQ Somehow I can't trust a skinny chef.

Back