OEM parts... what does it mean to you?

OEM. parts - sometimes I get them. Some aftermarket parts are better than OEM. Some aftermarket are the same and way cheaper. Case in point, neighbor paid about $30 for Cadillac OEM thermostat from the dealer. Had the same P/N as one from the from the local parts store. Made by the same company. You just need to know what you are buying.

I bought new after market points, condenser and rotor for my Datsun before taking cross country trip. The rotor was made somewhere across the Pacific. It crapped out in the middle of the night behind the beyond. After that I always went Nippon Denso no matter the cost. I steer away from anything made in China.

Team, OEM is a type of supplier for components used or sold by another company (VAR).
OEM parts generally refer to a part made for a specific VAR, based on the VAR's specification.

As The Critic pointed out, Toyota did not make the brake pads for my GS350 F Sport.
OEM parts were used in the manufacture of the car and Lexus can sell me OEM parts to replace worn pads under their name.
Both are OEM parts; they are not necessarily made by a single supplier but adhere to Toyota's specification for fit, form and function.
That specification very well may change over time.

Another example is, BMW is the OEM for Toyota Supra engines.

In the business of manufacturing we use strict definitions for these terms.
There are college degrees in Supply Chain Management.

OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) The original manufacturer of a product that may be sold or marketed by another company.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Example - Rear Brake Pads for a 10-15 RX350/11-18 Sienna. Part #04466-0E010.

Genuine: Brake Pads sold in a red toyota box. The pads are made by Akebono in Japan.

OE: Hypothetically, if Akebono sold the exact-same formula in their own box, which does not happen.

OES: Toyota's service line replacement for this application, which is #04466-AZ109. These pads are acceptable for use during customer-pay brake jobs but are actually made by Advics. The formula is slightly different than what the car is originally equipped with.

OEM: Any set of brake pads made by Akebono, even if they are not the same formula as the pads that are sold in the Toyota. For example, Akebono Proact pads would qualify as "OEM" pads for this application since Akebono was the original supplier, even though the ProACT is very different than the pads that Akebono supplied to Toyota.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Same parts as what the car came with from the factory.

Nope.

What he said. Very well put. OEM does not mean what came on new vehicle only made by them. OES is service parts which may or may not be the same. i have worked for several auto parts manufacturers including Akebono and their service parts are not the same and are acceptable to a lower standard. The shop mechanics will make them work if fit is not as good. Some union factory workers will not lift an extra finger beyond normal to make it work so require less variation.

Originally Posted by double vanos
Buying "OEM" at the dealer can mean there's a warranty on certain parts.

Many aftermarket parts are lifetime warranted...

Sort of I suppose. If you want an OEM restore do you still put 14 inch rims with hubcaps and drum brakes on all 4 wheels?

What about a paint job, should it be to the standards of auto paints jobs as they rolled off of the factory floor, or do you want something better and more consistent with today's standards?

Originally Posted by SeaJay

Sort of I suppose. If you want an OEM restore do you still put 14 inch rims with hubcaps and drum brakes on all 4 wheels?

Well yes, that's pretty much the definition of a restoration. Otherwise it's a restomod or hotrod. And paint isn't like a part that you bolt or weld on anymore than fluids or chemicals. You wouldn't use SA grade oil, 78 octane gas or alcohol coolant in an old car today, restored or not.

I prefer to use the definitions by FCPEuro parts house.

OEM: Makes parts for automakers, but is not under contract to make the part in question.
OE: Makes the part for the automaker but the automaker insignia is sanded off or omitted because the part is sold as branded by the manufacture of the part rather than the automaker. (Ex, Bosch makes spark plugs with the BMW logo on it and one with out. It's the same plug).

Take spark plugs on my 435i.

Genuine: BMW branded made by Bosch.
OE: Bosch
OEM: NGK

BMW has used NGK plugs on some engines and Bosch on other. My engine came with Bosch plugs so for my application NGK plugs would be the OEM part. Now sometimes it can get a little weird with ignition coils. I've seen BMW switch suppliers during a model year or year to year.

Last edited:
Oftentimes I prefer parts from factory packaging. No rational rationale but just makes me feel better.
Many have hologram seals ostensibly to keep honest people honest.

w/ GMC, Porsche, Mazda and Audi in the garage there is lots of consumable hardware in inventory.

I think we should use the term "genuine" more often and OEM a bit less.

Even the genuine part can change over time... For example, Volvo shocks originally made in Germany by Sachs. Replacement genuine shocks made by Sachs in Turkey, supposedly lesser quality.

Originally Posted by brages
Here is how FCP Euro defines it: link

OEM parts are produced by a manufacturer that meets the high quality standards and produces at least one part for a vehicle manufacturer.

Based on this definition, because Febi makes a part for a car manufacturer, any Febi part for any car is an "OEM" part.

Again, confusion. Only the parts that Febi makes that the manufacturer uses on the production line would be called an "OEM" part. Now FCP Euro sells parts so they may not have the most impartial definition.

They would define your example as a Genuine part because Genuine (factory) parts have the automaker label on them.

My factory plugs (Bosch) are printed with a BMW logo not Bosch. Same goes for ignition coils, belt tensioner, etc.

Genuine: Simply stated, these are parts that were originally installed during production of the vehicle.

OE: When a manufacturer makes parts for the production vehicle, they oftentimes create the same exact part, place their own label on the product, and sell it under their own brand. These are called OE or Original Equipment parts. Other than labeling, these parts are typically identical. Some of these OE parts are brand names such as Lemforder, Bosch, TRW, Sachs, Lemforder, Siemens VDO, and Valeo among others. Since these parts are the same quality as most genuine parts, they are a popular option amongst DIYers since the cost savings can be substantial in many cases.

OEM: OEM parts are produced by a manufacturer that meets the high quality standards and produces at least one part for a vehicle manufacturer.

Last edited:
OEM and VAR are linked for a specific component.
The component is manufactured to the VAR's specification for form fit and function and appears in a Bill of Material for the parent assembly.
The OEM component is sold under the VAR name.

Typically, OEM sell business to business while VAR sells to the public.

OEM and VAR are linked for a specific component.
The component is manufactured to the VAR's specification for form fit and function and appears in a Bill of Material for the parent assembly.
The OEM component is sold under the VAR name.

Typically, OEM sell business to business while VAR sells to the public.
so VAR seller can request a part made by an OE genuine part manufacturer and request it be of a lesser qaulity than the OE genuine part or of a different internal manufacture the the OE Original

Greetings Atikovi-
don't want to start an argument- there was a thread about this topic a while ago (wish I could find it) that referenced a paper by some Toyota engineers that claimed original equipment replacement parts installed, or bought, at Toyota dealerships are not exactly the same as what the factory installed originally. IIRC, Toyota designs OE replacement parts to work "better" with the existing parts on a car in for service or repair to allow for wear. There are not exactly the same. Just saying...

There are many diff meanings of OEM- having an OEM division in my own company this was an interesting debate at the table.

Original being the key word in the acronym many poeple would say parts from the company that made the car and using that manufacturers part number and packaging indicating its from that manufacturer.

Genuine "XXXXX" parts is a better term, as the original part could quite likely be from a 3rd party.

Back