What is the best tire pressure for Honda Accord V4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

My tires allow max pressure @ 44PSI.
My goal is to have the best MPG in summer.

Thank you!

Well, you'll have a spec listed on your tires (that'd be the 44 psi), and one on your doorjamb. That one is usually 30-35 psi, but can vary.
In theory, you can run them at any point in that range. But I would err on the side of the car's spec rather than the tires' spec. That is, if your car says 35 psi cold, and the tires say 44 psi, I'd go 35-maybe 37 psi. I wouldn't guess you'd get too much better mpg from going above that, and the car will probably ride harder to boot.
As with many things, it's hard to go wrong with what the car tells you...

We don't know your knowledge of tire psi.
Too much air can cause tire wear in the center of the tread.
Too little air can cause tire wear on the outside/inside edges(shoulders).

I would start with the recommended psi that your vehicle requires(usually listed in the door jamb) for your tire size & speed rating.
Then add small amounts of air to see it your fuel mileage changes. Most likely it won't just from more air alone.
Also, how much of a harsher ride(with more air) can you tolerate?
Do you prefer better/crisper handling & turn-in?
Or a slightly better ride over broken pavement?

These are just some factor to consider.

Originally Posted by CR94
V4's are pretty rare, especially in Accords.

?

To the OP: your car either has a V6 or an inline 4; V4 is not an engine configuration used in automobiles.

(people can now refrain from pointing out the handful of exceptions)

Since this is primarily a learning site, I thought I would clarify.

Check the door card or the the owners manual.

The psi given provides the best combination of comfort, mpgs, and most importantly grip for things such as braking and hydroplaning resistance.

IMO, overinflating would theoretically provide the best mpgs because it reduces the size of the contact patch of the tire, but your risk of getting into an accident due to a lack of grip increases. You might be okay with that but what about your passengers?

Last edited:
Just to be clear, what is written on the sidewall of the tire is NOT a recommendation - it is a maximum. (Even says so!)

Since the tire doesn't know what vehicle it is going to go on, only the maximum is listed.

But you asked a question in the title that is different then the text in your post. So which answer to do want?

Do you want the best compromise between fuel economy, wear, ride, and handling? Or do you want to maximize fuel economy?

Depends on your area, tires, and driving style. The pressure rating on the door jamb is a cold pressure with the factory tires. Its also geared toward comfort not best wear, mileage, etc... Good safe rating if in doubt just be mindful its not a 100% one size fits all.

A good starting point I use for my customers is 35-36 in the front and 33-34 in the rear. If you see any abnormal wear then adjust accordingly.

Sorry, I mean 4 cylinder.
cry.gif

Your vehicle has the proper inflation spec on the door sticker for the stock tires. If they are replaced with same size, that inflation level stays the same. If they are replaced with smaller tires it goes up and vice versa. That number assumes a modest load. If you always have an empty vehicle except for the driver, a couple PSI less, or if heavily loaded, a few PSI more until you reach the limit of the tire and then you're probably at the vehicle limit too unless undersized tires were put on.

Note tire wear and adjust from there, if there is wear due to inflation rather than needing an alignment or other suspension problem.

If you just want a number because you don't want to think about it, then 32 PSI.

Don't just inflate a tire to the max trying to get high gas mileage. This will also result in uneven wear and poor traction including stopping distance, as well as poor ride quality if you don't have enough of a load to offset the reduced dampening.

Lastly, the smaller the compressor you use to inflate the tire, the hotter the air is when inflated, so if using a very small compressor, the more air you put in, the more you need to overshoot the target PSI if you check pressure right after inflation rather than waiting for the air to cool down. Usually this is less than 4 PSI, but you can check the pressure again after a half hour and adjust from there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
For maximum gas mileage set to the maximum 44 psi on the tire. Fine on a smooth highway but ride will suffer on bad roads.

No !

that is an unsafe practice. Looped a few FWD Honda and Subaru when i was younger with too much rear tire pressure.

Plus overinflated tires pound and damage macstrut top steering bearings races-
something most people don't even know exists.

Tires (which are air bags or a sort) are a part of the cars springing -

For normal loading, run the recommended pressure on the door jam placard +/- 2 psig.**

Tire pressures depend on outside temp when you do the cold fill.

Use about 1 psig less per 10 deg below STP.

I would suggest buying narrowest tires (similar to BMW i3 or old fashion, circa 1920s, wheel/tires) to reduce the rolling and air resistance and pump them to max listed pressure.
That should give you the best fuel economy.

Comfort, safety are apparently not important.

Enjoy the ride!

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
For maximum gas mileage set to the maximum 44 psi on the tire. Fine on a smooth highway but ride will suffer on bad roads.

No !

that is an unsafe practice. Looped a few FWD Honda and Subaru when i was younger with too much rear tire pressure.

You can roll a car with 10psi in the tires if you drive it crazy enough. Those in the Honda Insight community have their tires at 50 or 60 psi with a few nutjobs saying they have them at 100psi. Not sure if a tire will even stay on the rim at that pressure let alone be drivable for any distance.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

No !

You can roll a car with 10psi in the tires if you drive it crazy enough. Those in the Honda Insight community have their tires at 50 or 60 psi with a few nutjobs saying they have them at 100psi. Not sure if a tire will even stay on the rim at that pressure let alone be drivable for any distance.

\Yeah, I looped a Fiat Strada into the median taking the sweeping RT 213 connector exit too fast off RT 495 in Methuen, MA.

Did that right in front of a Statie parked there. Found that the rear tire had only 14 psig in it. Never noticed, as the car weighed nothing in the rear
smile.gif
Still learning stuff as a kid.

The Cop didn't even flinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back