Amsoil refines their own oil?

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Amsoils wells are all in America, that's where the name comes from, Am-soil. Quaker State and Pennzoil wells are all in Pennsylvania of course. They would be sued for false advertising if they were not.

Amsoil's oils comes from really special wells in America, pure oil wells . I got it.

It was initially called AMZOIL (for Amatuzio-oil), Then became AMSOIL ... couldn't find out why, but my guess is for AMatuzio'S OIL.

https://blog.amsoil.com/the-history-of-synthetic-oil-and-amsoil/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsoil

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by CT8
Amsoils wells are all in America, that's where the name comes from, Am-soil. Quaker State and Pennzoil wells are all in Pennsylvania of course. They would be sued for false advertising if they were not.

Amsoil's oils comes from really special wells in America, pure oil wells . I got it.

It was initially called AMZOIL (for Amatuzio-oil), Then became AMSOIL ... couldn't find out why, but my guess is for AMatuzio'S OIL.

The name was changed because Pennzoil challenged them as owning the "zoil" portion of the name. After changing to Amsoil, they were sued by Amway due to the similarities in name and direct multi-level marketing business model causing confusion with Amway products. My old boss Harry Reid testified for Amsoil in that challenge and Amsoil prevailed.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by CT8

I'm afraid to ask where Castrol comes from.

Hahahaha! snip snip

Originally Posted by Tom NJ
Originally Posted by CT8

The name was changed because Pennzoil challenged them as owning the "zoil" portion of the name. After changing to Amsoil, they were sued by Amway due to the similarities in name and direct multi-level marketing business model causing confusion with Amway products. My old boss Harry Reid testified for Amsoil in that challenge and Amsoil prevailed.

Interesting ... thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Tom NJ
Originally Posted by CT8

Good thing ampm (am/pm) is not suing anyone otherwise I may lose my alarm clock!

Well, this is from a magazine article and not from Amsoil themselves.
Not the first time I have seen magazine articles with product inaccuracies, and if its not defamatory, there is little you are going to do about it.
Amsoil has stated many times over the years that they purchase their base stocks from leading refiners and blend their oils in house.

Seems like a play on words to me, now it's refine instead of blend, maybe. It's touted as a good product, I'll continue to pass.

I only pass because of price. I have plenty of money for even Ravenol prices. The most I'll spend is $35 for Mobil 1 AP or Modern Engine @ $30.
Heck, I'm perfectly happy with Ultra Platinum @ $22.

Same with filters. I'm good with $3.99 NAPA ProSelects and $4 AC Delco Ecores.for my newish Korean makes. My oil gets bblack from carbon. So when highest efficiency Fram Ultras announce they can block carbon, I'll buy a couple to try out. I think we-all know that ain't happening.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I only pass because of price. I have the money for even Ravenol prices. The most I'll spend is $35 for Mobil 1 AP or Modern Engine @ $30.

I hear ya. It's hard to pass on Ultra at that price, and if you can nail it during rebate time, it's really a home run.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I only pass because of price. I have the money for even Ravenol prices. The most I'll spend is $35 for Mobil 1 AP or Modern Engine @ $30.

I hear ya. It's hard to pass on Ultra at that price, and if you can nail it during rebate time, it's really a home run.

As soon as I read members are getting their rebate money cards from oil purchases at Walmart, I'm buying two jugs of Mobil-1 AP in SP / GF6.
Probably late summer purchases.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

As soon as I read members are getting their rebate money cards from oil purchases at Walmart, I'm buying two jugs of Mobil-1 AP in SP / GF6.
Probably late summer purchases.

I can say I had much better luck with Pennzoil rebates, than XOM rebates. XOM rebates took months and phone calls to get. But in the end I got them, even with purchases from WMT. Good luck!!

Yeah … I doubt PUP has the long term oxidation stability of Amsoil SS or Mobil 1 AP …

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I like Amsoil based on what I've read but when I read "...each molecule has a specific purpose by design ..." it makes me think marketing like they all do. Intelligent , etc.

I had some chemistry courses in college but is it even possible to assign a task and/or "specific purpose" to a molecule? Just curious what it means.

Maybe we should ask MolaKule
grin2.gif

How did I got pulled into this?
shocked2.gif
smile.gif

i didn't see in their marketing or labeling where they said anything about assigning. One cannot "assign" a task to a molecule, since that is giving a personification to a lifeless material. This is called reification where reification is a situation where a person attributes personal characteristics to a conceptual abstraction. This is done often in Marketing where people who develop marketing language often take many liberties. Reification is ok for poetry but not for technical literature.

Now, "each molecule has a specific purpose by design" is valid since synthetic molecules are designed with specific technical attributes for specific purposes.

In the article above, it says Amsoil refines each oil they market. Notice they did not say they refine their own base oils. There are at least two definitions of refine and I think they are using this definition of "Refine:" improve (something) by making small changes, in particular make (an idea, theory, or method) more subtle and accurate. So we cannot criticize that sentence as being invalid.

Bottom Line: Oil companies use Marketing language that takes liberties with logic and language to impress the masses.

Betcha' wish now you hadn't invited me to the party.
shocked2.gif
lol.gif

Last edited:
That's right. You brought logic into it
lol.gif

Good explanation of "Refine"! Do you also have a law degree?
grin2.gif

Tom in NJ nailed the history. Thanks Tom!

Amsoil buys SOME base oils from XOM, but not all. Of course the "low bidder" idiocy........just implies cheap junk so ignore that type of garbage commentary.

Mainly I am posting to say that is NOT a quote from Amsoil. Just another spew from the press who as a whole, write too much about things based on ignorance (Oil, cars, guns, health care, etc) ...heck it's not even correct and proper English writing which is something they should KNOW.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I'm afraid to ask where Castrol comes from.

Castor oil

Last edited by a moderator:
Back