The End Of The MiniVan Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perceptions be darned, the mini-van we had ('95 Villager) was two things to us:
- totally useful; family hauling and carpooling at a time in our lives when young kids were our primary priority
- totally reliable; about 245k miles on it when we sold it to a young single mom - and we still see it around town every once in a while so probably well over 300k by now.

My wife now drives a Fusion 2.5L and loves it. But back in the day, you'd have suffered serious physical injury if you threatened to take away her ol' Villager!

The 2005 grand caravan with stow and go seats that folded into the floor was the perfect does just about anything vehicle. Seating for 7 or 8 (can't remember which) with seats that easily and quickly folded into the floor had nearly as much cargo area as a full size van. The engine and tranny were super reliable for the 125,000 miles that I owned it over 9 years.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Seems to me that the 2018 (last year of production???) Chrysler minivan with 3.6 Pentastar + 6AT is pretty reliable too?

We bought an ex rental 2018 Grand Caravan that had 42 or 46k on it. It now has almost 56k, no complaints so far from us.

My 18 has more loads than I can remember. Super easy to go from hauling cargo to hauling people. Brother says I abuse it although I get close to max load. If everything goes well I will drive 75 miles to save 200.00 with 3/4 plywood. Total weight is 600lbs so if I find a recliner for reasonable price and in box I will get it to. I am remodeling so the van is the best. My brother has a Silverado which is a short stepside but he won't put that much on his truck cause it squats easy. Thing is I will be able to close rear hatch so no danger of losing load
Payload is 1540 Grand Caravan
Payload is 1288 2003 Silverado

Last edited:
I was there at the beginning of the Mini Van era. I am a retired FCA employee. The Atlanta Zone Office got an early production Caravan. I was the first one we had seen. The Zone Manager drove it for one day and then I drove it to Chatanooga and delivered it to the newspaper so they could write an article about it. For the next month I would move it to another newspaper about twice a week. The Caravan became the hottest thing in the market.

Originally Posted by MotoGuzzi
I drove it to Chatanooga and delivered it to the newspaper so they could write an article about it. For the next month I would move it to another newspaper about twice a week. The Caravan became the hottest thing in the market.

News papers and 1st gen Caravans.. You are old!
11.gif

I clearly remember some of the first caravans. They could be had with a bench seat in the front and 4 or 5spd MT.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
My problem with minivans is FWD and transaxle. That configuration is simply not as robust or reliable as a heavy-duty, truck-based, body-on-frame, RWD Van or SUV.

You do realize that in the case of the Dodge caravan the same transmission is used in the Durango and 1500 dodge ram pickups right? Well the meat and potatoes of its the same, they actually took the ultradrive trans and adapted it to RWD....Basically the same difference, I know im really generalizing here, but there's not much difference.

Anyway the transmission is the Siennas easily get 200k miles, no problem, and when I was at the Gm Dealer the 4t60e was the basically same transmission as the 4l60e in Pickups and suvs, I almost never seen a trans failure in a "U" van... Again the 4l60e and 4t60e are different, but also really similar.

Honda has had issues with their transmissions forever it seems.

Now if you want to talk about windstar vans.....

Last edited:
The only RWD transmission based on the "Ultradrive" was the 42RLE, Used behind 3.7L, 3.5L, 2.7L, & 2.4L in the Liberty, Wrangler, Durango, LX Platform cars, And the 3.7L Ram 1500.
Try to work one of these hard in a Ram 1500 & it will fail, Most notably the Torque Converter Clutch. It was a bad idea in my opinion & Chrysler should have used the 545RFE in the 1500 anyway. Which what was used behind the 4.7L & Hemi before the ZF 8HP.

The 440-T4/4T60/4T60E/4T65E is completely different than a 700R4/4L60/4L60E/4L65E/4L70E. It's not even close!
Now GM did have some FWD transaxles based on RWD designs.....The TH425 was a FWD version of a TH400, The TH325 was based on a TH200, And the TH325-4L was based on a 200-4R.

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool
Originally Posted by john_pifer
My problem with minivans is FWD and transaxle. That configuration is simply not as robust or reliable as a heavy-duty, truck-based, body-on-frame, RWD Van or SUV.

You do realize that in the case of the Dodge caravan the same transmission is used in the Durango and 1500 dodge ram pickups right? Well the meat and potatoes of its the same, they actually took the ultradrive trans and adapted it to RWD....Basically the same difference, I know im really generalizing here, but there's not much difference.

Anyway the transmission is the Siennas easily get 200k miles, no problem, and when I was at the Gm Dealer the 4t60e was the basically same transmission as the 4l60e in Pickups and suvs, I almost never seen a trans failure in a "U" van... Again the 4l60e and 4t60e are different, but also really similar.

Honda has had issues with their transmissions forever it seems.

Now if you want to talk about windstar vans.....

Old ones, yes. New ones, no.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The only RWD transmission based on the "Ultradrive" was the 42RLE, Used behind 3.7L, 3.5L, 2.7L, & 2.4L in the Liberty, Wrangler, Durango, LX Platform cars, And the 3.7L Ram 1500.
Try to work one of these hard in a Ram 1500 & it will fail, Most notably the Torque Converter Clutch. It was a bad idea in my opinion & Chrysler should have used the 545RFE in the 1500 anyway. Which what was used behind the 4.7L & Hemi before the ZF 8HP.

The 440-T4/4T60/4T60E/4T65E is completely different than a 700R4/4L60/4L60E/4L65E/4L70E. It's not even close!
Now GM did have some FWD transaxles based on RWD designs.....The TH425 was a FWD version of a TH400, The TH325 was based on a TH200, And the TH325-4L was based on a 200-4R.

The 4l60 e and 4t60e are similar in the fact they are lighter duty transmissions. I've seen plenty of 4l60e transmissions fail at lower mileage from doing nothing more than being used in a vehicle to commute. No towing.

I have seen 4t65e transmissions in U Van's that towed hit 200k with no issues.

I would say in proportion to the weight of the vehicles they were put in the 4l60e and 4t60e were the exact same thing. Again as I said they are similar and different.

I disagree, The 4T65E is a piece of junk! They failed left & right behind the LS4 5.3L in Impala/Monte Carlo SS & the Grand Prix GTP.
Take a heavier crew cab 4x4 pick-up with a 5.3L & the 4L60E would usually last a long time.

By 2005, Most of the issues were worked out with the 4L60E, 300,000 miles isn't all that uncommon.

How much weight can you really tow with a U-Body van? How many company owned Express/Savana 1500 vans are out there loaded to the gills on a daily basis? I take care of a 2006 Express 1500 4.8L/4L60E that's owned by a Electrical Contractor, I bet it carries around 1000# worth of conduit on the roof, Let alone all the bins & crap inside. My 10,000# Rotary lift has trouble lifting it!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I disagree, The 4T65E is a piece of junk! They failed left & right behind the LS4 5.3L in Impala/Monte Carlo SS & the Grand Prix GTP.
Take a heavier crew cab 4x4 pick-up with a 5.3L & the 4L60E would usually last a long time.

By 2005, Most of the issues were worked out with the 4L60E, 300,000 miles isn't all that uncommon.

How much weight can you really tow with a U-Body van? How many company owned Express/Savana 1500 vans are out there loaded to the gills on a daily basis? I take care of a 2006 Express 1500 4.8L/4L60E that's owned by a Electrical Contractor, I bet it carries around 1000# worth of conduit on the roof, Let alone all the bins & crap inside. My 10,000# Rotary lift has trouble lifting it!

I did talk to a guy (who seemed to be an import owner for whatever that's worth) and his employer bought old Montana vans for their business because they could load them with weight plus a small trailer and still get close to 190k miles before a trans rebuild and then get a few years after that out of them. But I've personally seen more 4t60 failures than 4L60. I've had a few 4t60 in ex's cars (94 Grand Prix, 98 Grand am, 99 lumina, 00 Impala and none of them failed but a friend had a 95 regal blew up at 95k, couple others I've seen or heard of failing, lots with hard shifts and trans codes but still working...I know one person who killed a 4L60 in his 04 work van with 80k miles and he seems hard on vehicles.

Last edited:
The hard shifts (P1870) is a 4T65E/4T65E-HD problem, The 440-T4, 4T60, & 4T60E never had that particular issue because the Line Pressure was controlled by a Vacuum Modulator. Where the 4T65E used a EPC Solenoid & Adaptive Shift Strategy.

The 4L60E also uses a EPC Solenoid, But Adaptive Shift Strategy was never employed.

I don't see minivans going away any time soon; it's just that the generation(s) that grew up in them shun them as uncool, just as the generation that bought them shunned station wagons as uncool. This kind of thing is cyclical. I remember seeing a comment by someone on Car and Driver's Backfires saying their kid (think it was their son) wanted nothing to do with a crossover and wanted a Camry.

IMO there is nothing less "manly" to use a dumb term than to evaluate your requirements and chose something (SUV) that doesn't meet them as well as another thing (minivan) over some perceived coolness factor. I have 3 kids and absent a need to go offroading a minivan is the best vehicle for the job. We chose an Odyssey mainly because of my wife's long affinity for Hondas but any of them would do the job. To settle for some midsize SUV or spend a ton more on a full size SUV to get the same amount of space would be dumb.

jeff

Originally Posted by greenjp
IMO there is nothing less "manly" to use a dumb term than to evaluate your requirements and chose something (SUV) that doesn't meet them as well as another thing (minivan) over some perceived coolness factor. I have 3 kids and absent a need to go offroading a minivan is the best vehicle for the job. We chose an Odyssey mainly because of my wife's long affinity for Hondas but any of them would do the job. To settle for some midsize SUV or spend a ton more on a full size SUV to get the same amount of space would be dumb.

jeff

I can understand that motive. Define the parameters of what you want, need and expect, run it by the spouse (if needed) and be content.

I've made wiser and more practical choices than a 25 or 30 year younger version of myself would (or did). In no small part though, it's a lot to do with knowing myself better, taking a longer look down the road and thinking more big picture.
No doubt, there are car guys or girls and they will yield almost all things practical to get the style and look they want. Sometimes they can have it both ways ,,, a Sunday cruiser or the summer car. I have an 80 year old dad with a convertible Corvette in Michigan !!
33.gif

Marketing plays a part too. Some of the masses are easily lead astray and some marketing helps us get want we want and need. For others, vehicles can be as much their signature or about fashion as cloths or the latest cool phone to have.

At 50, I spotted a car style I liked and had in mind, learned some about it and picked one up. It was a 6 year old sports coupe with (to me) an almost exotic silhouette, solid reputation for longevity and performance and a slight uptick for creature comforts. Doctors where I work liked mine better that their own because the early body style was just a bit more edgy. I'm not lying to say I wanted it for its style and practicality was not a box I needed checked. It had just this side of a back seat so for a 50 year-old guy to get something like that may not fit everyone's "practical meter".
For me it did rather well.
I knew what I wanted and expected and I wasn't going to be toting van or pick-up size cargo. It also worked well for back seats I'll call 'Grandkid sized'.
grin.gif

Was I lying to myself about function with a rwd sports car in Colorado winters ? I'd driven 'winter' for 36 years by then and put appropriate tires on it for the sketchy roads we get a few times a month here in the lowlands of 6800'. Driving it in winter can be more fun than challenge and most know it's not all about the vehicle itself. Strategy and experience play a role for many drivers. It's not necessarily a veiled threat but a chance to enjoy some spirited fun. It took me and others skiing in the mountains where winter roads can be the most fun or least depending on who's driving.
About 6 years later, I was ready for something different and true to my nature, I'd already researched and found a new target. Now I'm 2 years in, driving a Golf SW with a bit more back seat, cargo room similar to compact SUV, 4-Motion which I like to think of as assurance/insurance and a tight, responsive handling and ride character that's sporting and fun as well. It fits practical in just about every way and has the Golf heritage so tied to Car and Driver 10 Best 10 or more years running.

I freely admit if I were shopping vans, I'd look at the recent years or few of the that Pacifica. I know nothing about it aside from good press early on when it first came out but it does indeed have nice look or body style. If it were not competitive in the things we'd like or need in a van, I might have to settle for one that doesn't look as stylish.
I think about the handy-factor of vans and even pick-ups at times. To drive one daily because I might rent or borrow one every 3 to 5 years would be impractical if not silly though.
If we are happy with what we drive, whatever settling or compromises we've made, we own.

Disclaimer- I've owned 2 vans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back