API CF-4 for monograde products

Status
Not open for further replies.
API CF-4 was developed for multigrade products. Is this correct? Can a monograde product has the claim CF-4. i.e. XXX product SAE 40 or SAE 50 API CF-4?

Could be, if the treatment is for CF-4 no matter if is monograde or multigrade?

Originally Posted by TexasForever
API CF-4 was developed for multigrade products. Is this correct? Can a monograde product has the claim CF-4. i.e. XXX product SAE 40 or SAE 50 API CF-4?

Could be, if the treatment is for CF-4 no matter if is monograde or multigrade?

I don't see a grade requirement in the Afton Specification Handbook for CF-4 at all, where have you seen one?

CF-4 was rolled out in 1988, superseded by CG-4 in 1994. CG-4 in 1998, also an obsolete spec, then CH-4, in 1998.
GH-4 and all later HDEOs are still in use.

CF-4 was a 4-stroke diesel specification, there were many HDEO monogrades that held it, Delo 400 SAE 30 was one I used quite a bit of, gallons of it at 99 cents (or less) per gallon. Most of the diesel engines I used it in were rated for even older specs, like SF/CC and SG/CD (6.2 GM & 7.3 IDI Ford).

Thanks to all for your comments. Effectively it is an obsolete API category, but some countries out of America are still manufacturing. i.e. Castrol Viscus SAE 25W-60 API CF-4.

However if bullwinkle says that in the past Chevron had an API CF-4 for a monograde product, this means that API Category Cf-4 was also used in monograde products. Thanks again.

The manufacture can print obsolete specifications on the label such as CF-4/SH for free, where as a currant spec such as CH-4/SF would cost a licencing fee from the API.

www.api.org

Originally Posted by userfriendly
The manufacture can print obsolete specifications on the label such as CF-4/SH for free, where as a currant spec such as CH-4/SF would cost a licencing fee from the API.

www.api.org

No it wouldn't. Any manafacturer can put an API specification in a bottle without actually paying to have it licensed.

API (S* or C*) does not put restrictions on SAE viscosity grades -- all monogrades and multigrades are allowed.

ILSAC puts restrictions on SAE viscosity grades -- only 0W-16, 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 are allowed. 5W-16 is not allowed.

CF-2 oils were mostly monogrades, as oils containing VII don't do well in two-stroke-cycle engines. However, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 CJ-4/SM managed to be certified for CF-2 at one point, but they didn't recommend it for two-stroke-cycle engines despite the certification and recommended a monograde instead.

CF-4 oils certainly could either be a monograde or a multigrade.

Even though API no longer issues licenses for obsolete categories, oils such as SF are made and sold throughout the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back