Smith & Wesson Model 66 - Old or New?

Ever since shooting my grandfather's Smith & Wesson .357 revolver I've always wanted to own a S&W revolver. I'm obsessed with the Model 66 in either polished or brushed nickel. Does S&W still manufacture the Model 66? Is there a newer alternative based off of the Model 66? I'm a casual shooter, so I could look at a used model, either vintage or late model. Any specific years or models to keep an eye out for?

Thanks all for your input! Here's basically what my grandfather's .357 looked liked, except this has polished nickel finish that I like.

[Linked Image]

S&W makes the nicest revolvers. The new stuff is good. Be picky about the old stuff some are just good others are great. I have a Mod 10 that works really good..

If Smith has an old version and a new version the answer is always old. I have a 2-1/2 inch 66. They don't make them like they use to.

The 66 and 19 (blued version) was discontinued in the late nineties but was reintroduced more recently with a slightly longer barrels than before.

Originally Posted by hatt
If Smith has an old version and a new version the answer is always old. I have a 2-1/2 inch 66. They don't make them like they use to.

The old S&W guns are better made with tighter fit and finish. The lockhole is an abomination.

BSW

An old 66, if slightly used, would be pretty great. Shoot .38 spl through it and enjoy.

I'm kind of partial to the older stuff - partially because I think older stuff is just cooler (mostly purchasing this gun to collect it) but I also think there's something to be said for the way they made things back in the day. I'm going to check some local gun shops for anything. Does anyone use a good online source for purchasing used firearms? I really don't shop for guns much. Last gun I purchased was a SIG semi-auto at a local Home and Ranch store.

Model 66's are all stainless. the earliest ones like you have pictured have the matching stainless rear sight. Newer ones (still old) have a black rear sight. Someone has polished the one pictured as well to give it a more nickel like appearance. Model 19 is the same gun except its either blued or nickle. Model 67 is the same gun but 38 special only. When it comes to S&W revolvers I only like pre-lock stuff, not that the new stuff is bad, I just hate the lock.

The gun in the picture you posted is an N-frame. Correction, the 66 is a K-frame.

Other N-frames with a similar appearance are models: 27, 28, 29, and 629, with the 629 being a stainless .44 mag.

586s and 686s are similar looking L-frames, blue and stainless respectively.

The model 19 is an even smaller, yet still aesthetic also a K-frame.

With S&W revolvers the older manufactures are more more collectable and some would argue better quality. Do some quick research on what a "pinned and recessed" S&W is. Pinned and recessed Smiths are generally pre-1982 manufactures. If you pick a Smith up that's pinned and recessed, you may not know the exact year of its manufacture, but you at least know that you have a classic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RonRonnster
I'm obsessed with the Model 66 in either polished or brushed nickel. Does S&W still manufacture the Model 66?
Is there a newer alternative based off of the Model 66? I'm a casual shooter, so I could look at a used model, either vintage or late model. Any specific years or models to keep an eye out for?

Thanks all for your input! Here's basically what my grandfather's .357 looked liked, except this has polished nickel finish that I like.

Yes they still make the model 66. It is stainless steel.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-66
The model 19 is the same K frame and was available in blue or nickle.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-19-classic

The S&W K frame was designed for the 38 special, later was used for the 357 magnum.

Later they introduces a slightly larger L frame, it would be a model 586 in blue or 686 in stainless.

A friend of mine has a 66 that was from his dad when he was the town cop. It is a nice fitting gun in my large hands. I want to have one of my own but only ever see the rubber grip ones.

The older (non-lock) 66s are not going to be found for cheap unless they are shot loose, banged up or have a cracked forcing cone. The current production 66 has a 4.2" barrel, tensioned barrel and internal lock. Purists don't care for the new guns because they are different, but they do come with a lifetime service policy so if it's not a good specimen then S&W will fix it for you.

The new iteration of the 66 has a different forcing cone than the old one so there's less of a chance of cracking. Because it's built on the 38 (K) frame it's lighter and handier than the L frame 686. If you plan to shoot mostly 38 special with only occasional 357 then the 66 would be my choice. If you want to shoot a lot of full power magnums then consider a 686. You can get a seven shot version of it as well.

Elkins45 said was I had intended to come to this thread to say.

IN GENERAL I prefer older S&Ws, and my 4" model 19-3(P&R) is one of my favorite all around 357 Mags of the quite a few I've owned(I've had a pile of S&Ws and a few Colts, and the only one I might have liked better was my Trooper 357). The big N frames shoot softer and more accurately, but I don't like carrying them, while a 4" K-frame is just perfect.

With that said, the older 357 Magnum K-frames are notorious for forcing cone erosion and cracking with full power 357 Magnums, and especially with 125gr bullets. All of the older K-framed with a .357 bore(whether chambered in 38 Special or 357 Magnum) have a thinner "flat" at the bottom of the forcing cone to allow the crane to clear it. The problems usually occur there, and I've heard two theories as to the cause of this. One is that higher velocity 357s, especially 125grs(which, all else equal, are faster than 158s) just beat the cone up more, and the other theory is that the physically shorter 125gr bullets tend to cause more gas cutting.

The barrel design on the recently re-released ones has eliminated the issues. Also, the tensioned barrel is not without precedent-Dan Wesson used it, and although their revolvers were ugly they were both strong and accurate(I had both a 2" fixed barrel and a 4-6-8" set in 357 Mag at one point). I haven't shot one of the new ones, but have fondled them in the gun stores. Even if they quite feel like an old forged action, pinned and recessed gun, they are still nice.

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
Originally Posted by hatt

The old S&W guns are better made with tighter fit and finish. The lockhole is an abomination.

BSW

Yep. I refuse to buy a S&W with a hole in the side. I bought a no lock 642 but there's no way I'm spending $700+ on a shortcut rich revolver with a hole in the side.

You all can poo-poo newer S&Ws all you want. For my part, I don't own any internal locks currently(the only one I've had was the first gun I bought-period-and didn't know any better) and have only had one other with an MIM action. All my others are forged action, and most have pinned barrels(and recessed on the magnums).

Still, though, the new 66 fixes a substantial forcing cone design deficiency in the original K-frame Magnum design. As I said, I'm not giving up my old 19-3 for anything, but if I were in gun buying mode now I'd take a seriously look at the new 66. To me, the K-frame is a perfect size, and making it so that you don't have to worry about what you shoot through it is a substantial improvement.

I like the aesthetics of the old S&W revolvers.

For ruggedness and brutal efficiency, give me a Ruger GP100. Two screws in total, a cylinder release screw that's staked in place and the grip screw. Field strips with a screwdriver and a pin, and the cylinder locks up at three points.

Ruger had the advantage of a clean sheet of paper design and they utilized it fully.

But the Smith & Wesson revolvers do look better.

BSW

Back