Oil accumulator to prevent engine wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember hearing some number like 90% of engine wear occurs at startup.
Has anyone here seen, heard, or installed themselves a hydraulic accumulator with a solenoid operated valve that shuts off and on with the ignition switch?

exploding-hydraulic-piston-accumulator-e.jpg

Yes and there are also electric primers pumps.. The question is do we really need one? May be for a seldom driven vehicle. I hear lots of stuff and we need to discern what we hear. Usually a maintained reliable engine brand out lasts the vehicle.

I had a project manager whos late 80s Mustang SVT burned up a couple of turbo's and when he tore one down he found coked bearings. To try to fix the issue he installed an accumulator that released whenever oil pressure fell below a certain point. It was plumbed into T at the turbo's oil line to give it some extra oil pressure while it spun down at shutdown.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I remember hearing some number like 90% of engine wear occurs at startup.
Has anyone here seen, heard, or installed themselves a hydraulic accumulator with a solenoid operated valve that shuts off and on with the ignition switch?

The majority of wear does not occur at startup, that is a myth. The majority of wear occurs during the warmup phase.

Low-rpm, low-flow, post-start is when the accumulator would be diverting oil from the engine to re-charge itself. So, you'd have pre-oiled, but then have insufficient flow for a while after start-up. Are you accomplishing much with such a system?

I understand the concept here, but if I wanted to spend money and time on a pre-oiler, I'd use an electric pump. That eliminates:
—the need to regularly check or re-charge the accumulators (that was nearly an annual need on some of the tractor transmissions), and
—the diverted oil flow when the engine is already receiving least oil flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back