Anybody drinking more liquor these days?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I'm surprised to see so many members of BITOG that don't drink.

I'll try not to be a downer, but my life has been very stressful with my mom as an alcoholic, frequent hospitalizations especially this last year, including multiple times on a ventilator in a medically induced coma, also has had frequent rehab stays, etc. and she just can't kick the bottle for very long.

I've made an oath to never touch the stuff. Ever. No good comes from it.

I don't drink either, great grampa was an Alcoholic, died of cirrhosis, my grampa was an alcoholic in his younger years eventually kicked the stuff after nearly smothering my mother to death when he sat a pillow on top of her when she was in her crib when he was drunk, my uncle almost died from alcohol poisoning when he was drinking with some friends when he was a teenager. I can see some of my grampa's temperament in myself and I know that it's not a good idea for me to touch the stuff.

I never smoked a day in my life either.

Is the gym open yet, I'm ready to go back!

Once I saw what alcohol did to a co worker of mine, who later shot himself, i decided I'd enjoy a drink now and then. Like Friday or the weekend and that's bout it

Last edited:
Whiskey enhanced hot toddy each evening. Only one shot of whiskey. Medical info states alcohol enhanced toddy will interfere with sleep, but I sleep better and wake less often through the night after these hot tea (decaffeinated) concoctions. Probably depends on how much hooch you put in it, one shot glass isn't a lot. Wife and I typically have a modest glass of cabernet or red blend with dinner each evening but that was our norm well before current times. My evening toddy's are in response to current times, however. I put a secret herbal into my toddies that is a powerful anti-viral and inflammation regulator, specifically to harden my constitution and attempt to make it slightly less welcoming for any microbes, and to have a prudent governor over my body's inflammatory response to hopefully reduce the intensity of any cytokine storm that might try to spin up should I develop pnuemonia or etc. as a complication of any illness.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
FordBroncoVWJeta said:
I'm surprised to see so many members of BITOG that don't drink. They've probably learned the pitfalls of drinking too much.
cheers3.gif
grin2.gif
As a very long time member, I think that another factor is in play here that I'll try to present, not being too negative.

Right now our forum is on the low part of the curve of the cyclic "holier than thou" members chiming in. In the past it was difficult to talk about eating processed or fast food, television viewing, or buying a car using financing. Remember? Mention that you bought a car with financing and the threads would take a turn towards ugliness as a handful of narcissist members chastised anyone who didn't pay cash for their vehicle. Same thing for non whole foods or mentioning television watching. Remember Pop Rivit? He was the king of killing threads via holier than thou shoot downs.

Maybe this is keeping good people from discussing that they drink alcohol moderately and responsibly. A person can drink alcohol, watch TV, and finance a vehicle without succumbing to being a loser. I sometimes think that people that have to follow certain lifestyles 100% to the max (i.e., zero alcohol) MAYBE have underlying weaknesses and they fear they cannot handle moderation. Please don't be offended by this statement. But really, is having a hot dog smothered in kraut a couple of times a year really going to kill you? Good for those of you that follow a wholesome lifestyle that you believe in. But, please don't be a bigot by not understanding and accepting that many people can have these things in their lives at a responsible and moderate level and still be an upstanding human being.

Does this make sense why some people refrain from sharing their alcohol consumption?
28.gif

Originally Posted by doitmyself

A person can drink alcohol, watch TV, and finance a vehicle without succumbing to being a loser.

Heck yeah. Just because I cannot drink does not mean others cannot.
The only person I have a problem with drinking is me.

Right, and they are taking up half of the posts. I don't post in Nissan car or aviation threads because I have interest in either.

But too each his own.....
beer3.gif

4 bottles of beer - Dos Equos Amber (2 shared with a friend)
1 bottle of beer - Stella Artois (friend visit)
2 bottles of pink/semi-sweet wine (shared with wife over many nights)
That's since end of January.
Water has a better taste from filtered fridge since changing the original Whirlpool filter.
I brew a 6qts pot of green/black tea with ginger + cinnamon +(cloves) powder about daily.

Still have some hard liquor (double filtered prune "mooshine"/tzuica/rakia) from at least 5 years ago and some home-made cherry liquor from 15+ years ago.

P.S. I have not managed in 45 years of life to be drunk. Buzzed, yes about 5 times. Hence I don't drink if I have to drive.
Also I grew up in a very alcohol brewing and consuming area/culture. After what I saw there, I'm still surprised i still drink here and there.

I don't care how much people drink (or whatever) ... as long as it doesn't directly effect me. I have two neighbors who are heavy drinkers and it shows. There's a difference between drinking responsibly and drinking daily and making alcohol the center of life.

1 beer mid afternoon (I'm retired) then wine with dinner. The wine with dinner started a year ago after we did a tour of France. We don't even get a buzz but drink to enjoy the flavors.

We did stock up on wine a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I don't care how much people drink (or whatever) ... as long as it doesn't directly effect me. I have two neighbors who are heavy drinkers and it shows. There's a difference between drinking responsibly and drinking daily and making alcohol the center of life.

Well said.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

A person can drink alcohol, watch TV, and finance a vehicle without succumbing to being a loser.
28.gif

I laughed and loved this! I watch TV, drink, have two car loans and might go for a 3rd! Why not? Investment yields are much higher than the interest rates offered to me. I can sell a paid off car, invest the cash, finance its replacement. New Camaro maybe? Cause America!

Single malt scotch primarily...Lagavulin 16 when I want to be punched in the face with peat, Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or for day drinking and The Glenlivet 18 for special occasions. I get up at 0400 so it behooves me to NOT overdo it the night before.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
Single malt scotch primarily...Lagavulin 16 when I want to be punched in the face with peat, Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or for day drinking and The Glenlivet 18 for special occasions. I get up at 0400 so it behooves me to NOT overdo it the night before.

Bruichladdich Octomore for maximum peat...but I no longer drink Scotch.

Kinda interesting, I talked to mom and stepdad in North Carolina daily. They say the ABC (liquor stores) arent closed there.

Last edited:
Some Bailey's in the coffee on the weekends, and the occasional Ceaser (Vodka and Clamato juice.) Got to get my greens. Anyone in the Alberta oil patch knows what these are.

9D085928-4567-40F2-8249-C800454D0CBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by CincyDavid

Bruichladdich Octomore for maximum peat...but I no longer drink Scotch.

I have tried most other Bruichladdich expressions but not Octomore. Interesting distillery, watched a documentary about Jim MacEwan(spelling?) retired master distiller. They are unusual in that they distill Islay scotch, but not using peat in some of their lines. I like peat explosions but it gives me a headache sometimes, so it's a "one and done" type of thing for me with heavily peated scotch.

Back