Automated ABS brake system bleed

I'd like to confirm my understanding of the bleed process when you have a scanner that supports ABS Automated Bleed.

Step 1: Bleed the brakes in the standard manner (whichever method you choose).
Step 2: Use the ABS Automated Bleed feature in your scanner to cycle the ABS. The pump action will replace the old brake fluid in the ABS components with the new brake fluid in the main circuit from Step 1.
Step 3: Bleed the brakes again in the standard manner to remove the old brake fluid the ABS injected into the main circuit from Step 2.

Is this correct? Very tedious!

On VW's, it is a guided system that requires you to constantly monitor the brake fluid level so it doesn't run dry and introduce more air, pump the brakes, and bleed the caliper per the guided instructions.

Utoh, just bled my accord without cycling ABS. Ive heard that it sould be done, but I was under the impression that the cycling was more essential if ABS components were replaced due to remnant air bubbles. Might be incorrect. Is this always best practice per the vendors' FSM?

The bleeding process will probably vary depending on which car you have and if you have a scanner that will allow you to turn on the ABS pump.

VW and other brands have their on or specific scanner that tells you what to do at each step.

This is one of those times you've got to follow directions (eg model specific forums) as each is different.

My prius will refuse to leave park it it detects low brake pressure in the rear lines due to poor bleeding. Would hate to "brick" a car doing it wrong.

Back