Oil for 2015 Yukon XL Denali 6.2

Newer to me, had oil changed at dealer with AC Delco 0w-20 it's whole life til now. I've done the diffs and trans and transfer case. Have about 1800 miles til I do the oil change. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions in particular for this engine? It gets driven very easily but does tow a boat or trailer once in a while. It's not just a short tripper either it gets to temp for a while most times it's run.

Plan on keeping it a long time so I want to treat it right. I like Amsoil and Schaeffer products and they're easy to get for me. But I'm open to anything else if there's a particular oil that might be ideally suited to this engine. Price really isn't that big of a factor I'm more of a peace of mind person and want the best.

Also not that worried about fraction of a point of a mpg difference when using different oils so since these engines use a higher viscosity oil in other applications I'm open or even favorable to going to a high quality 0w-30.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am running Amsoil SS 0w-20 in my `16 Suburban with the L83 5.3L that is working out well for me.

I believe both engines were designed with 0w-20 in mind. Not sure anything heavier is necessary, unless you are in death valley pulling up the steepest inclines with the maximum load, then I think I would move up to a Xw-30.

Keep in mind it does have an oil cooler and an 8 qt. sump. Someone a while back was doing UOA comparing 0w-20 and 5w-30 and wear seemed to be the same.

By the way the Amsoil SS doesn't officially meet the Dexos1gen2 spec.

Some would say (and I may also) your better just buying whatever 0w-20 Dexos1gen2 oil is cheapest and follow the OLM.

Last edited:
I run 0W-40 in mine...not sure why you would choose otherwise. I just do yearly changes...which usually means about 30% life left on the OLM.

Just changed mine last month in my 18 Sierra 6.2, went with Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w30. Also what I used when I changed the oil in my Camaros last week too. I got a bunch of it for about $7 per 5qt jug so I might as well use it.

By requesting here, you will be asked to try 10 different oils. For towing - only once in a while or not, I would jump to a 0w30. Amsoil SS or Schaeffer are excellent choices. Or you can take advantage of the new 2020 Mobil-1 Rebates and buy Mobil-1. They offer 0w30 also and easy to find.

Last edited:
It seems to be common practice here to always recommend a heavier grade oil than what's specified. Is anyone taken into consideration the newer GM engines with the two stage oil pumps, redesigned cylinder deactivation system, and piston cooling jets all designed to operate with 0w20? Just wondering.

I think you should run a Dexos 5w30. The OLM on these are fairly accurate. But depending on your service and climate you may want to stop at 20%.

Nice ride.

Originally Posted by Danno
What is the same engine specced to use in non-CAFE jurisdictions, say middle East or South America?

Good question. Perhaps someone from there can chime in.

So for clarification, if the manufacture specifies a particular oil weight then the owner should automatically assume it's for no other reason than to meet a government required fuel mileage? Furthermore if for that reason then an engine will surely fail using the lighter oil? Wondering if the dealerships are replacing engines due to this light oil requirement? Looking back approximately 28 years ago Ford specified 5w20 for the 4.6 V8 in the Crown Vic patrol car. The fleet that I managed at that time had 200+ for as long as the CV was available. We lost two engines. One was due to the scientist driving it running it thru flood waters and the other was due to a damaged oil cooler leaking and that scientist tried to drive back to our shop with no oil. I guess we were just plain lucky that these cars ran at least 12 hour shifts everyday without being shut down. Our summers are long and 95 degree heat is common. Wow. Can't believe we survived on that "thin" CAFE oil.

For over 2 decades, the Yukon Denali has been the vehicle of choice for special law enforcement units in Kuwait and much of the Middle East, including close protection. I can't think of another vehicle that is "abused" as much as these.

They're loaded with all sorts of equipment, including heavy wrap-around push bars front and rear that are custom made for them out of steel, and a ton of gear in the cargo area with four heavily armed occupants whenever they are used. Countless full throttle runs on and off in heavy traffic, heavy braking, driving on and off curbs, driving on shoulders at highway speeds where rumble strips are one foot apart and an inch deep, extended idling for hours, towing, desert heat, dust and high sulfur gasoline. They're basically used hard and put away wet and they do extremely well.

As far as engine oil is concerned, 20W-50 was the default standard by dealerships until about 2014, at which point they switched to 5W-30. To this day, ACDelco 5W-30 (Dexos1) remains the most popular option. For fleet vehicles in severe service, 5W-40 is the go-to, although I am not sure what brand.

If you look at the 2020 Middle East Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Denali manual, this is what you see under Recommended Fluids and Lubricants:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

When you go to page 278:

So we go to Selecting the Right Engine Oil on the next page:

Although available to buy, there is no mention of 0W-20 anywhere. Fullsize GM trucks are extremely popular here, and many folks I know actually run 15W-40 with no ill effects and zero issues well past the 200,000 km (125,000 mile) mark. They change oil frequently, usually after a 25% drop in the OLM, and replace the oil and air filter with the oil when it zeros out.

Make of it what you will, but if it were my truck where you are, I would probably run Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and follow the OLM.
49.gif

Also worth mentioning, from my own personal experience back in California, running Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 in an '18 Yukon XL with an L83 5.3L, it was quieter and smoother. No difference in gas mileage compared to 0W-20 factory fill, still averaging 20 MPG combined on Shell V-Power 93.

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
It seems to be common practice here to always recommend a heavier grade oil than what's specified. Is anyone taken into consideration the newer GM engines with the two stage oil pumps, redesigned cylinder deactivation system, and piston cooling jets all designed to operate with 0w20? Just wondering.

I point this out on my two L83's … it's running ECM controlled functions with the oil like Arco points out wrt other engines.
I start mine and it's about 42 psi … if it's hot and I look down at a red light it might be at 25 psi … punched it on the back road the other day … instantly at 70 psi.
That's a stiff 6 bolt lower end too … I'm not really worried about 0w20.

My son uses M1 0-20EP in his Yukons. 2016 and 2019. The 2016 had right at 100 k when he traded it in for the 19. The engine ran great even with his 15K OCI.

Thanks for posting great info Falcon_LS. Learned something. What was posted on the oil fill cap on the vehicles you are referencing?

Nice information and description of the severe duty in the ME and the service recomendations. I like that they run out the filters to zero on the OLM.

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
For over 2 decades, the Yukon Denali has been the vehicle of choice for special law enforcement units in Kuwait and much of the Middle East, including close protection. I can't think of another vehicle that is "abused" as much as these.

They're loaded with all sorts of equipment, including heavy wrap-around push bars front and rear that are custom made for them out of steel, and a ton of gear in the cargo area with four heavily armed occupants whenever they are used. Countless full throttle runs on and off in heavy traffic, heavy braking, driving on and off curbs, driving on shoulders at highway speeds where rumble strips are one foot apart and an inch deep, extended idling for hours, towing, desert heat, dust and high sulfur gasoline. They're basically used hard and put away wet and they do extremely well.

As far as engine oil is concerned, 20W-50 was the default standard by dealerships until about 2014, at which point they switched to 5W-30. To this day, ACDelco 5W-30 (Dexos1) remains the most popular option. For fleet vehicles in severe service, 5W-40 is the go-to, although I am not sure what brand.

If you look at the 2020 Middle East Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Denali manual, this is what you see under Recommended Fluids and Lubricants:

When you go to page 278:

So we go to Selecting the Right Engine Oil on the next page:

Although available to buy, there is no mention of 0W-20 anywhere. Fullsize GM trucks are extremely popular here, and many folks I know actually run 15W-40 with no ill effects and zero issues well past the 200,000 km (125,000 mile) mark. They change oil frequently, usually after a 25% drop in the OLM, and replace the oil and air filter with the oil when it zeros out.

Make of it what you will, but if it were my truck where you are, I would probably run Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and follow the OLM.
49.gif

Also worth mentioning, from my own personal experience back in California, running Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 in an '18 Yukon XL with an L83 5.3L, it was quieter and smoother. No difference in gas mileage compared to 0W-20 factory fill, still averaging 20 MPG combined on Shell V-Power 93.

Same engine in a Camaro or Corvette was using 15-50 for severe/racing and more recently 0-40. In Arizona Ive run M1 15/50 in a 17 6.2 Silverado for 60K and I get less fluid in the catch can. The engine coolant thermostat set @209 degrees runs pretty hot and will bake oil. if it has max tow the trans cooler has a thermostat that also runs unnecessarily hot. If you want to keep it a long time swap out the coolant thermostat for the cooler Camaro/vette one and do the trans cooler thermostat "Flip" to lower temps there ~30 degrees.

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Originally Posted by Danno
What is the same engine specced to use in non-CAFE jurisdictions, say middle East or South America?

Good question. Perhaps someone from there can chime in.

You don't have to look that far away...The 6.2L LT1 calls for 5w30 Dexos & it uses virtually the same short block

Back