Newer Car Shopping List

Toyota Avalon.
Absolutely bulletproof.
3.5 V-6 with 6-speed transmission.
87 octane.
2018's with 30k miles can be had for about $18k.

The perfect highway cruiser.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I can tell you the Lexus GS350 is a wonderful car. Sucks the gas, though. And they run and run and run...
Cons: Older tech; no Apple/Android. Clunky Infotainment but you get used to it.

I've drooled over the GS but the premium fuel requirement, low MPG and a teenager on the insurance makes it a no-go for me as a DD.

I switch between CA wannabe premium and mid grade. No problem.
The only other issue is, our car is an F Sport model with the summer Michelin Pilot tires. Not a good rain tire.
But this RWD sedan is probably the best sedan I have ever driven. I would definitely buy another.

You could do an ES or Avalon, but they are not the same car.

In times like these-I'd stay on the cheaper side of cars....

I think it depends on what you are willing to live without. I think the only Ford Fusion with the 2.5 is the base model S. No touch screen, and wheel covers. But I think it should be no problem finding a few year old one under 17k with low miles.

I had a neighbor get an 18 base S for 15.5k (16.6kmiles) , and added a few personal touches (custom wheels, OEM Fusion spoiler) and loves the car.....
grin2.gif

If you want absolute reliability, I'd pick the GS or IS from the list (try to avoid the single injector direct injection one, the dual injector has no valve deposit concern).

I'd stay away from AMG V8 due to cost of maintenance or repair down the road, not sure about the Volvo S80. Ford hybrid might be fine but the replacement battery is harder to get than the Toyota one if you want to keep past 15 years 200k miles.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
My wife's car is 97 Volvo 960 rear wheel drive and it might be time to consider a newer car. What we like abut the car is a nice high way cruiser and simple to
maintain
besides the current head gasket leak by the outside cooling jacket: Currently sits at 200K.

2. Lexus, GS, EX, Is

4. Genesis, Sedan V8 engines

Hate to say this, but Volvo hasn't been making Volvo-esque vehicles since your 960.

If you want easy to maintain cruiser status, you need one of the above (but avoid the IS as it's much smaller interior will have back seat passengers feeling crammed).

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Get something fun. Life is too short to drive boring cars.

What will you consider fun car, Corvette, AMG, Tesla???

1. Ford Fusion Hybrid . Very reliable. Close to 45 mpg with a light foot. MKZ Hybrid is good too, or a Continental with the 2.7L
2. Toyota Avalon Hybrid - great highway cruiser, very reliable, lot of room.
3. Subaru Legacy. Luxury car ride, AWD, reliable. Get the limited version , has memory driver seat.

Skip any car that requires premium. You pay 50c more per gallon for nothing.

Look carefully at insurance costs too. Sometimes the difference is $200-$400 per year.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I did drove an 2008 Avalon from Chicago to Florida and was very comfortable.

I need to test drive some of the other mention choices.

I got a cheap Jetta VR6 stick and S-70 Turbo stick just for me, 2 toys

Yes to all of those. My v6 300 was also pretty fun, 300hp with the 8 speed trans is more than enough to get one in trouble. A Genesis like what Nick1994 got would also be a pretty cool car.

Yes to all of those. My v6 300 was also pretty fun, 300hp with the 8 speed trans is more than enough to get one in trouble. A Genesis like what Nick1994 got would also be a pretty cool car.

Modern cars are not fun, maybe tolerable.

A 62 Belair 409 is fun, as is a 350 Nova with posi + T-10 or saginaw.

Even A 1965 buick Wildcat 401 nailhead is fun - especially if its a convertible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
Toyota Avalon.
Absolutely bulletproof.
3.5 V-6 with 6-speed transmission.
87 octane.
2018's with 30k miles can be had for about $18k.

The perfect highway cruiser.

And its American ancestor, the Buick LaCrosse. Up until the last year of the 2nd generation, GM still did not force auto stop-start on you. Starting in '17, that is standard and can't be turned off; but you can buy an aftermarket part that plugs into the OBD port and circumvents the system for about $150.

GM stopped making LaCrosse in '19, I think. There amy still be some new or nearly new examples of the '17-'19 model out there.

Toyota Camry or Rav4.
Reliable.
No CVT, no Turbo and no DI. Newer ones have MPFI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Even A 1965 buick Wildcat 401 nailhead is fun - especially if its a convertible.

My Uncle had a 1969 Chevelle 4 speed stick 396.
This was in 1972.
It was a bear to drive if you got on it.
You really had to drive this car and pay attention at full bore.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

If you can't have fun with a modern car, you're doing something wrong. Even I could go out and have fun in a 1997 Camry, but I'd rather go out in my Ram or go to the drag strip with my brother in his 2018 Charger.

Last edited:
Back