0W40 in Air Cooled Engines?

Hello all,

Having a typical BITOG moment. I had several leftover quarts of Pennzoil 0w40 A3/B3 A3/B4 oil left that I changed all my equipment to 0w40 this week. (JD riding mower, GX200 pressure washer, push mower, and generator)

Lots of reading here on BITOG - Tend to recommend HDEO oils. T6 for example. Now I am starting to doubt my oil choice... Even considering switch them all back to Rotella T6 (had in last year)

Question - Would you have any concerns with using 0w40 in your air cooled equipment? (Concerns of shearing for example?....but this 0w40 does carry A3/B4 spec so HTHS > 3.5.....??)

Thoughts/feedback?

Thanks

- Josh

Last edited:
PCMO's are neutered these days, hence the recommendation for HDMO's or specific small engine oils which weren't stripped of the good additives just to keep catalysts happy.

It won't kill your engines, but I wouldn't run it nearly as long as usual.

I'm the opposite end of the spectrum... I put "drip" oil in all my OPE. What ever drips out of the now 99% empty bottle from oil changes, atf changes, gear oil, MMO...whatever... right now I just changed atf and transfer cases on a couple of trucks, the drip oil is rather reddish. No matter, whatever is in the bottle goes in the OPE year after year and it works fine. Been doing it for over 30 years now. I wouldn't lose any sleep with you using new quality oil that's for sure....

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Air cooled engines have larger bearing clearances, use what the manufacturer recommended.
Finally got to use the manufacturer recommendation on the oil thinnies.

Surely they don't recommend higher than a 40-grade, do they?

I think it is an excellent oil for air cooled equipment with the high HTHS, just what the engine needs. What more could you ask for than Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval as an indication of suitability?

Mercedes Benz makes air cooled lawn equipment?

You make some of the oddest comments, I have no idea what you mean.

Do you know what that oil approval means and how it relates to severe operating conditions? Do you know how oil grades are listed and what the numbers mean in the grade designation?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Air cooled engines have larger bearing clearances, use what the manufacturer recommended.
Finally got to use the manufacturer recommendation on the oil thinnies.

Surely they don't recommend higher than a 40-grade, do they?

I think it is an excellent oil for air cooled equipment with the high HTHS, just what the engine needs. What more could you ask for than Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval as an indication of suitability?

Certainly depends on equip supplier & manufacturer suggestions. Kawasaki recommends 20w50 in warmer climates.

Originally Posted by bchannell
Certainly depends on equip supplier & manufacturer suggestions. Kawasaki recommends 20w50 in warmer climates.

Definitely if they specify a 50 grade I would not use a 40. Many are 30-grade however, so a 40 is suitable.

Originally Posted by CT8
Check for increased oil consumption ,just to be safe.

+1

Because of oil with such a wide spread in an AIR cooled engine I would check oil level more often...

Btw I am using mostly 5w40 MB 229.5 oil in my OPE (or 10w40 in MB 229.3)

0w40 will be fine. I've used it in most of my small engines without issue, since I usually have some Castrol 0w40 left over from the Euro cars I service.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
0w40 will be fine. I've used it in most of my small engines without issue, since I usually have some Castrol 0w40 left over from the Euro cars I service.

Same here. I don't normally use 30HD or 5W-30. And there is always 0W-40 left over after an oil change. So I've been putting M1 European Formula in my lawn mower and snow blower for some time now. It works great. My mower runs a lot quieter on 0W-40 than it did on 30HD or 5W-30.

The owner's manual for the mower says if using a synthetic multi grade, to watch the oil level particularly close. But I've never seen a drop of oil consumption on either motor.

For 3 years I used Castrol Edge 0w40 in my riding mower with 20 hp Kohler Courage. No problems. No excessive consumption. Used up a small stash of it, will use it again if I find any on clearance again.

Back