Fast Food Specials Dissapeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
All takeway (fast food ) have been closed here for 14 days. The whole mainstreet of this town is food shops, all shut. People are learning how to cook food again....gotta be a good thing.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by 007
Has anyone else noticed that the 2 for specials and such usually offered by chains like McDonalds and others have disappeared? Just seeing if this is occurring in other areas. The other day when the wife ordered Carrabas to pick up they asked if we wanted to add some $ to the bill and did the same thing when we picked up. Is this the new norm??

I'm in the business (commercial food equipment repair), and the vast majority are hurting BAD! If this goes on longer than another month, some of them aren't going to make it!

My neighbor is in a panic...he expects to lose his restaurant, his life savings, and probably his house.

Do they not have welfare/employment insurance in your state?
Or is that just a Canadian thing?

Not that covers this. He'd have been better off if the place had burned down.

Originally Posted by Sonic
Getting drive through food. Why is that safe? Some sick person breathing their air on the food you are going to eat. So they used gloves like they are supposed to any other year.

The theory is, keep people from congregating in the restaurants & infecting each other, the restaurants are all (supposed to be) monitoring the health of their employees to protect the customers. I was in a Chick-Fil-A yesterday to do some work & it looked like the OK Corral, almost everyone had on a mask & gloves.

Originally Posted by 007
Has anyone else noticed that the 2 for specials and such usually offered by chains like McDonalds and others have disappeared? Just seeing if this is occurring in other areas. The other day when the wife ordered Carrabas to pick up they asked if we wanted to add some $ to the bill and did the same thing when we picked up. Is this the new norm??

I'm in the business (commercial food equipment repair), and the vast majority are hurting BAD! If this goes on longer than another month, some of them aren't going to make it!

My neighbor is in a panic...he expects to lose his restaurant, his life savings, and probably his house.

Those Mom & Pop type places are the ones getting hit the hardest-no drive thru, very little carryout business, no online ordering options, and many of them mortgaged to the hilt (like your neighbor). I've heard of some SBA disaster hardship loans that may be made available, but it may not be enough.

He tried staying open for take-out...gave it up after a week, he was LOSING money.

His single biggest revenue source every year-for more than 15 years-has been March Madness. He's also sitting on 2000+ cases of beer he cannot sell and cannot return.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by 007

I obviously don't know his situation, but my wife works for a financial planner and they are frantically working with/for their business owning clients applying for the small business loans intended to help them get through this extraordinary period. It might be worth him trying to get some help with that process if it could get him over the hump (or mountain). I think she was saying the portion of the loan that is used to cover payroll doesn't have to be repaid.

His problem isn't payroll (he only has about a dozen employees, half of whom are waitstaff or bartenders and get very little salary), it's mostly the fact he is sitting on a massive delivery of food and beer (probably $35-40,000 combined) that he cannot sell...and the bills keep rolling in. (Offhand, I recall quarterly income taxes were due last week.) I'm worried he might either crawl into a bottle or kill himself.

To respond to your original comment - yes, the dollar menu, $5 subs are gone (and most of those franchisees hated the $5 sub deal - said they were losing $ on it.) bought two meals at BK the other day and it was $18. !?!?!?!?!?!?

Originally Posted by Sonic
Getting drive through food. Why is that safe? Some sick person breathing their air on the food you are going to eat. So they used gloves like they are supposed to any other year.

Why is it safe? Because the odds of getting the virus from cooked foods is extremely small....close to nil. Read the literature. Even if the preparer left moisture droplets on your food, 99.99% of that goes to your stomach where the acids kill it. The real risk is the paper and plastic wrappings that were touched by the food preparers. Remove all those from your food, disinfect your hands, then eat. When done eating, rinse/gargle with some warm fluids to help clear your mouth and throat.

This is no different than buying packaged foods at your local supermarket. An infected person could have touched them putting them on the shelf or just handling them. Same general precautions are needed. And that includes your daily mail, delivered packages, etc.

Last edited:
This is actually probably one of the longest periods I've gone without fast food, but I desperately want a Big Mac.

Anyways, we just got coupons for Arbys and Steak 'n shake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
This is actually probably one of the longest periods I've gone without fast food, but I desperately want a Big Mac.

I've tried Arby's before and I can't figure out why they're a popular chain. There's lots of places around here that claim that they're whatever Famous Roast Beef and they're all way better than Arby's. They're all fresh sliced red roast beef. But that probably why there aren't many in this area.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Pew

I've tried Arby's before and I can't figure out why they're a popular chain. There's lots of places around here that claim that they're whatever Famous Roast Beef and they're all way better than Arby's. They're all fresh sliced red roast beef. But that probably why there aren't many in this area.

They're decent for what they are - as long as you keep in mind that they're not any more special than than fast food - they're just not the normal burger/chicken sandwiches. Around here we're a lot bigger on our pizzas, italian beefs, and hot dogs. What I would do for some portillos right now....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 007

I would be freaking out if I were inhis shoes. Self employed is high stress.

Why have specials when you're packed every day. The fast food joints are doing okay. The drive through was their major revenue generator before this and now a bunch of competition is out of the game.

Last edited:
The law here now is take out or delivery only. No dine in. It is not 100% safe (nothing in this world is now), but it reduces the amount of time you may spread to the dine in area and get other patrons sick too. This is like how grocery store also banned reusable bags now (you know things are bad when San Francisco is banning reusable bag and re-introduce disposable bags). A lot of fast food and fast casual will let you pick up at the door, not letting you get close to the food prep area. It is all about reducing exposure.

I'm starting to see all sorts of free delivery ads now, they are basically trying to lose less money than lose more. Someone will order take out delivered to home so they don't have to go out, and they are typically $15 or above and you get free delivery for fast food.

Every food business is screwed now, not just fast food or mom and pop, but their suppliers like bakery, custom grade stuff that you won't find a market in the grocery store. The smart one will convert to grocery delivery business and sell everything directly to customers (one bakery that only supplied to restaurants are now selling grocery, their stuff that they would be cooking, in the parking lot loaded to the customers' trunk).

My daughter recognized the "juicy pears" her school used to get from the one we bought from Safeway. Clearly the restaurant grade stuff is now going to the grocery supply chain, and they are smart to unload them fast.

Everyone better be moving to the "delivery to home" band wagon now. People would feel better if you sell them the "meal kit" and let them bake or microwave them again. I won't touch any raw fish or uncooked vegetables from a restaurant take out menu for a while.

Well the choice is pretty simple here.
If they continue with coupon specials but can't allow seated customers inside, they go broke and out of business.
If they cancel sales / coupons, they stay in business a-lot longer using the drive-thrus.

The choice is ours to make.

My wife is healthcare worker at hospital in full tilt. Two coworkers now are covid+ so she is exposed at work.

Starbucks gave her a free ice coffee (handed to me) when she picked up a Chai for herself at drive thru when they saw her scrubs / badge on. Starbucks is apparently doing nice things for them.

Another nice case is Dance Studio offered free kids summer class to health care workers so $150 saved for a week camp. Some business owners are really stepping up to plate.

Originally Posted by 007

Tough times for folks who live closer to edge in business and financially living on debt.

2008-9 Rocked me unemployed for year making 10% of normal salary. No debt now except 4 years of mortgage and months of expenses in hand just in case.

Originally Posted by madRiver
My wife is healthcare worker at hospital in full tilt. Two coworkers now are covid+ so she is exposed at work.

Starbucks gave her a free ice coffee (handed to me) when she picked up a Chai for herself at drive thru when they saw her scrubs / badge on. Starbucks is apparently doing nice things for them.

Another nice case is Dance Studio offered free kids summer class to health care workers so $150 saved for a week camp. Some business owners are really stepping up to plate.

My neighbor a retired Physician told me his daughter a nurse caught the corona virus and said it was like getting a bad cold she is ready to go back to work but the tests show she still has the virus .

Originally Posted by 007

Expect half of all small mom & pop restaurants to fail. Even if they get 'PPP' from the government..... most of that is for employee wages.

How do you stay in businesses if you have little to zero revenue ?
What about rent, taxes, insurances, utilities, ...etc.... ?

For the record: I own a small business / LLC.

Yeah, everything here is call in or online order and curbside pickup … iPhone makes that easy.
I have been frequenting a newly remodeled place. The food is good, great variety, friendly staff … figured the chains don't need my help like this place.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Expect half of all small mom & pop restaurants to fail. Even if they get 'PPP' from the government..... most of that is for employee wages.

How do you stay in businesses if you have little to zero revenue ?
What about rent, taxes, insurances, utilities, ...etc.... ?

For the record: I own a small business / LLC.

It is not easy, and sometimes small business owners have to find a job to stay above water like others too. IMO being a business owners can be a lot more stressful and paid less than working for someone.

In those mom and pop restaurants, they have to do something else right now, they need to deliver and they need to sell something different (i.e. a pho restaurant might need to sell ready to grill chicken, broth, restaurant quality rice noodle, or just the drink, in bulk, rather than fully cooked meal. They do have to layoff some of the employees or ask them to work a temporary job in grocery stores until things are better.

Alibaba did the same in China a few months back, they offer to take over restaurant employees' payroll (probably hire the owner too) during the lockdown deliver things to home, ready to cook restaurant grade stuff, or contract their kitchen for online order for these delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back