Strenuous Works Outs During Current Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zinc is important. Body doesn't store it, so what you lose daily through excretion must be replaced by intake. If you subscribe to the theory of "supplements aren't necessary if you eat a balanced diet...", you are making a mistake within the context of working out vigorously and excreting minerals in sweat.

Please, if you are exercising or otherwise excreting fluids beyond what you do in normal resting and normal activity, do consider supplementing your mineral intake, especially Zinc. US RDA is 8mg women (non lactating) and 11mg men. Maximum safe upper limit has been published as 50mg.

I am doing zero exercise lately, and I'm good with it since it's a break from the self imposed slavery to the gym that has always been my norm. However, I am still taking a quality vitamin and mineral supplement. It has 11mg Zinc Citrate for 100% of US RDA. If I was exercising and sweating I would be taking a separate Zinc supplement in addition to the aforementioned multi vitamin/mineral tablet. Zinc Oxide is not as absorbable as Zinc Citrate, Zinc Gluconate, or Zinc Picolinate. I pass on any supplement that features Zinc Oxide as the Zinc.

I think jumping to any conclusions like this should be made with extreme caution.

How does not exercising affect your iron levels? General lung health? Heart Health? Blood flow, pH?

I'm not saying your wrong...don't go run a marathon, but you should maintain general health.

Originally Posted by Davejam
I think jumping to any conclusions like this should be made with extreme caution.

How does not exercising affect your iron levels? General lung health? Heart Health? Blood flow, pH?

I'm not saying your wrong...don't go run a marathon, but you should maintain general health.

You did not read my post thoroughly or I did not word it clear enough. I did not say do not exercise. I meant that if one is exercising, to consider supplementation. Also, I may not have been clear that I myself have maintained health by life long exercise, but I did phrase it as a sort of slavery to the gym, which was a tongue-in-cheek reference to my lifestyle of fitness enthusiasm.

So, in summary all the post was saying was for anyone who continues to engage in workouts during current times may want to consider supplementing Zinc. Hatt asked why, and I posted a link to a reputable scientific research abstract which appears to illustrate the importance of maintaining proper levels of Zinc, the focus of the research also appearing to have significance in light of current events in the world.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/10/4/696/5476413

If you were healthy, eating quality food, and working out before, keep doing what you were doing.

Well, myself I'm choosing to cease all strenuous exercise that invokes significant sweating until current events subside. There is nothing wrong with sweating, I'm used to it, part of the game but it does purge mineral and electrolytes which necessitates replacing them with supplementation. I just don't feel it prudent to engage in daily or staggered sweat purges (vigorous work outs) right now. I'm 56 and have trained weights and moderate cardio since age 16, is part of my lifestyle. I'm choosing to put it on hold in favor of maintaining maximum immune response. If I was 35 or 40 I might consider continuing the workouts in an alternative manner while the gyms are closed, but 4 yrs shy of 60 my body can use the break and probably needs the break to have peak immune response to any pathogen.

Checked my multivitamin-- Equate 11 mg zinc. I've only missed three days of exercise in almost six years since having global temporal amnesia in '14. Replaced time on treadmill with mindless walks in the subdivision tugging my elderly dog around. Thank got I bought some cheap Five Below type exercise stuff as well. Miss the treadmill, it's better to be walking uphill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/10/4/696/5476413

If you were healthy, eating quality food, and working out before, keep doing what you were doing.

Well, myself I'm choosing to cease all strenuous exercise that invokes significant sweating until current events subside. There is nothing wrong with sweating, I'm used to it, part of the game but it does purge mineral and electrolytes which necessitates replacing them with supplementation. I just don't feel it prudent to engage in daily or staggered sweat purges (vigorous work outs) right now. I'm 56 and have trained weights and moderate cardio since age 16, is part of my lifestyle. I'm choosing to put it on hold in favor of maintaining maximum immune response. If I was 35 or 40 I might consider continuing the workouts in an alternative manner while the gyms are closed, but 4 yrs shy of 60 my body can use the break and probably needs the break to have peak immune response to any pathogen.

Stopping your workouts will have significantly more chances of negative impact on your overall health that whatever thing going around. I seriously doubt your workouts are that extreme it's impacting your immune system a negative way. If you're worried about zinc take more zinc.

Serious overthinking going on here. I do weight training and powerifting but no gym open to be able to do this currently.

I do a simple workout at home now until the gym reopens. Nothing has changed as far as supplements or food.

Great info I've been telling people for few years of benefits. I take separate Ziinc supplement along with a Nature Made daily Maximum Pack I think excellent for the money. Shoulder day and hr tempo ride on the indoor road bike trainer Wahooo kicker Covd19 or not we get it done all the alone time is just business as usual for me.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Serious overthinking going on here. I do weight training and powerifting but no gym open to be able to do this currently.

I do a simple workout at home now until the gym reopens. Nothing has changed as far as supplements or food.

This. Also, all those Emergen-C type vitamin gummies I know you all been gobbling contain plenty of Zinc.

Your multivitamin will like replace any zinc you lose when working out hard and sweating. I'm not making any changes in my routine. You can't buy zinc supplements in any case, they are sold out everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back