Newer Car Shopping List

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's car is 97 Volvo 960 rear wheel drive and it might be time to consider a newer car. What we like abut the car is a nice high way cruiser and simple to
maintain besides the current head gasket leak by the outside cooling jacket: Currently sits at 200K.
I like to create a list of what will you consider has a replacement, I like to avoid the direct injection and CVT trans. My budget is 15-30K and here is what I come up so far:

1. Ford Hybrids, Fusion, MKZ versions

2. Lexus, GS, EX, Is

3. Volvo, S80,

4. Genesis, Sedan V8 engines

5. Fun car, old AMG w/ v8 engines

What else will you add to this list???

How many miles per year? How long until you will replace this replacement? An "unreliable" car can be fun and reliable enough, if you know when to get out of it.

What else does it need to do? Good mpg, cheap tires, fun to drive, etc.

Ford Fusion. Either Hybrid or 2.5 should take you well beyond 200k miles with just routine maintenance and a few interior door handles(06-12 bodystyle).

Last edited:
There really are many good choices to choose from especially with your current budget. Is your wife's Volvo a sedan or wagon?

Even though many new(er) vehicles are getting larger, some may in fact feel a bit more claustrophobic on the inside than that generation Volvo.

It also seems as though you're leaning toward the "Premium to Luxury" brands more than the mainstream brands. Just saying.

To me, there are many very, very good mainstream midsize family sedans to choose from that would be a huge upgrade over a '97 Volvo, as good a car as it was. However, you do have a criteria in which you mention, NO GDI/NO CVT so, this may limit your choices to the upper range of vehicles.

Of course I'm gonna vote for #4
laugh.gif

My Buddy has hesitated getting a BMW due to stigma, But he really like his turbo 4 cyl 5 "x" series with awd.

V8 power and good reliability and you can get under 20K with long warranty.

I rode in the back for a short drive, and its a nice car, Not a Junkbox like most everything else.

Friiends dont let friends buy Fords or VW!

The fusion is a terrible car.

Last edited:
I do use car complaints to see what problems some cars have in those models. The wife's sedan car is for normal driving but really enjoy it on the high way.

Not leaning to the luxury brands per say but I do notice that entry level cars seem to have direct injection and CVT trans while the other brands still have the 6 speed trans.

Besides the older Volvo cars, I just started driving some of Lexus cars when I do the services on relatives cars. I drove an Acura MDX and really did not like it when compare to Lexus RX version.

The hybrid is just something new to consider to keep my brain busy since I usually buy something and need to learn how the whole thing works: I intent to do all
the mechanical service by myself if possible

I can tell you the Lexus GS350 is a wonderful car. Sucks the gas, though. And they run and run and run...
Cons: Older tech; no Apple/Android. Clunky Infotainment but you get used to it.

gs350.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brian553

+Hyundai Kona w/ 2.0L Nu Atkinson engine
no DI
no CVT

I need to look in to this, no CVT, and no DI. Does it have the newer version or ECVT/ Electronic CVT???

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I can tell you the Lexus GS350 is a wonderful car. Sucks the gas, though. And they run and run and run...

add to cons - it has that Lexus "Stigma"
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LazyDog
Originally Posted by Brian553

+Hyundai Kona w/ 2.0L Nu Atkinson engine
no DI
no CVT

I need to look in to this, no CVT, and no DI. Does it have the newer version or ECVT/ Electronic CVT???

It does not; it's a 6-speed planetary automatic. Gets overshadowed I feel by it's turbo GDI version with DCT.
Hertz and Avis sell them if you're into/ok with that. Can't seem to find 2018's on their sell lots....

Get a Mazda CX 5 with the 2.5 motor. Roomy sporty and fun to drive. Good long trip car too with the up level seats.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

I've drooled over the GS but the premium fuel requirement, low MPG and a teenager on the insurance makes it a no-go for me as a DD.

I'm not sure about the hybrid, but the 2.5L Fusion is very reliable. I would go with the Fusion first and the S80 as a second choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back