Number of Spare Magazines You Consider Adequate?

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Donald
I only have a few magazine subscriptions and don't need any spare ones.

I understand people who can't find T.P. are re-purposing their magazines...
lol.gif

This is the Number 1 reason for having many spare magazines.

Any suggestion on a good mag for a 1911 to prevent nose dive at the feed ramp?

for the 1911, I would say three min for range use. and to load up different type rounds

You only need one for defense, if you are not LEO or store owner or truck driver

Last edited:
for a magazine based weapon 2 is min for a pistol and 4 for a rifle
But I dont really use or have a ton of fun with my magazine based guns.

Nor will I grab one first in a SHTF scenario.

I prefer a lever action pistol calibre carbine with a big belt full of rounds around my waist

Fun to me is slow deliberate rounds delivered on target vs mindlessly slinging lead down range, dumping mag after mag.

UD

Originally Posted by JHZR2
What's the intent? Spare parts? Saving time reloading at the range? Carrying more ammo on you?

Magazine fed autoloaders are pretty miserable to reload if you don't have spare magazines. Magazine break and wear out.

For carry, there are some malfunctions that are best fixed by swapping mags, besides being able to carry an extra mag for reloading.

I shoot a pistol match where I need to be able to shoot 30 rounds without taking the time to reload mags.

Different use cases call for different correct answers to ‘how many is enough'.

BSW

What's the intent? Spare parts? Saving time reloading at the range? Carrying more ammo on you?
Spare for replacements and/or shortages of availability. As some have stated, I have been through all manner of "shortages" (magazines, ammunition, reloading supplies, etc) and so I have take actions accordingly over the past 10 years. I was just curious as to the number the average person acquires per firearm.

Originally Posted by Donald
I only have a few magazine subscriptions and don't need any spare ones.

[Linked Image from pngitem.com]

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Spare for replacements and/or shortages of availability. As some have stated, I have been through all manner of "shortages" (magazines, ammunition, reloading supplies, etc) and so I have take actions accordingly over the past 10 years. I was just curious as to the number the average person acquires per firearm.

All joking aside from my previous post, I try to keep 10-15 per gun on hand. Everything California legal of course
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Any suggestion on a good mag for a 1911 to prevent nose dive at the feed ramp?

for the 1911, I would say three min for range use. and to load up different type rounds

You only need one for defense, if you are not LEO or store owner or truck driver

For 1911 mags I came across the writeup of different types that goes into a lot of details: http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/index.html

BSW

my lcp has 4 six rounders (2 on & 2 off); my shield has 4 eight rounders & a seven rounder (2 of the 8's & the 7 are on and other 2 8's are off); my sr9c has 3 ten rounders & 2 seventeen rounders (not active right now); my 638 snub has 4 speed loaders & several speed strips (2 safariland speed loaders & 2 hks speed loaders off; speed strips used when 638 is ccw); my 686 is unloaded but has 4 speed loaders staged (2 safariland & 2 hks)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
While there will always be the extreme at one end or the other (a few versus a plethora), what do you consider to be a good number of magazines per firearm?

i like to have at least 2 per firearm. All of my holsters are nylon with an extra mag pouch and snap button strap.
When I'm not using one of the aforementioned holsters I use an IWB holster, or an ankle holster.

holster.jpg

I have 5x mags for my STAG-10, will probably pick up another 5x. It's an easy way to keep .308 ready to go and takes up less space than the boxes.

Although you live in Texas , the day might come when " high capacity magazines " might be regulated in your state . Something to consider . My way of thinking is this , if suddenly everything I have would become impossible to buy , would I have enough guns and ammo ( and mags ) to sustain me for the rest of my life ? Your age and shooting habits are the biggest variable there so only you can answer that .

My only carrygun, a S&W M&P fullsize 9, uses 17-round mags.. I have six which I keep loaded with 16 rounds each, and I carry one extra mag with me.. Each time I go shooting, I shoot several rounds from each mag.

9 right side_1500w.jpg

Originally Posted by nomas
My way of thinking is this , if suddenly everything I have would become impossible to buy , would I have enough guns and ammo ( and mags ) to sustain me for the rest of my life ? Your age and shooting habits are the biggest variable there so only you can answer that .

You dont have to be scientist to answer that question...

You just buy one stash (of gun(s) & ammo) for "what if" scenario....for a cold reserve if you like...

And have another (identical) for a daily practise on a shooting range....

The biggest variable here is...."how scared individual you are (hollywood zombie apocalypse scenario etc)....and how deep pocket you have (to afford all that)

Originally Posted by nomas

My way of thinking is this , if suddenly everything I have would become impossible to buy , would I have enough guns and ammo ( and mags ) to sustain me for the rest of my life ?

Do numbers go that high?

Back