hand sanitizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody had any luck finding hand sanitizer ?

Been trying to find some for my wife as she is a nurse and does need it from time to time .

All of the local stores have been out for a while now and trying to find it online has not worked .

Checked on articles that you can make your own but geeting the right percentage of alcohol in the end and getting the 99% isopropyl alcohol is not easy .

She does say washing hands is the best but there are times when she can't.

The hospital is low on supplies and is very stingy about using what they have , wanted her to reuse a mask for a week but we found a few local that she has as spares.

Not looking to make this political or about price gouging that is going on.

Thanks for any help or sugestions you may have .

Don't they have plenty of gloves at work? That would be my option.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
I just carry some alcohol and a paper towel to dry my hands.

Good luck on finding alcohol in stores. The Isoprop kind.

Originally Posted by matrass

Been trying to find some for my wife as she is a nurse and does need it from time to time .

All of the local stores have been out for a while now and trying to find it online has not worked .

Checked on articles that you can make your own but geeting the right percentage of alcohol in the end and getting the 99% isopropyl alcohol is not easy .

She does say washing hands is the best but there are times when she can't.

The hospital is low on supplies and is very stingy about using what they have , wanted her to reuse a mask for a week but we found a few local that she has as spares.

Not looking to make this political or about price gouging that is going on.

Ask your town clerk. In NY the towns have gallon containers that you can fill up your own QT jar.

Unfortunately even if willing to pay high prices … best pay attention to shipping dates, way out there.

glass cleaner and cloth towels in my car. towel on lap. left hand on towel, right hand sprays. rub hands together. towel dry. also wipe off steering wheel, shifter, handles. im not being facetious, but im not in the medical world. ive never been a big fan of hand sanitizer, so being unable to find it now isn't a worry. to me a hand sanitizer is just a stopgap solution until one can get to soap and water.

It seems there must be a surplus of ethanol, somewhere in America. With the dramatic downturn in driving (and hence gasoline sale), there should be plenty available. Maybe there should be a mandate to remove it from gasoline and divert it's use to medical use.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by matrass

-
-

Shhh! Dont tell anyone!

Ajax or Windex glass cleaner.

Its alcohol, water and bit of ammonia and a bit of surfactant!
Perfect!

- This is not a medical or health recommendation

Our local True Value had gallons of isopropyl the other day. I didn't check the percentage though. Publix had the agar gum in the baking section.

Listerine might work too. Soap works better than all of them.

Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Originally Posted by LazyDog
I just carry some alcohol and a paper towel to dry my hands.

That's what I use ! Best hand sanitizer going !

You shouldn't need to dry your hands it will evaporate on its own in about 15 seconds.

Tried a couple more local places that "may " have had it in stock. no dice.

I am sure my wife would not use the straight stuff as it is tough on skin , especailly since she has dry hands from the gloves.

She does wear gloves as much as possible and that is another thing the hospital is cutting back on .

Looked at Ebay and a fast as they are posted it is gone.

Appreciate the ideas so far .

Last edited:
Try your local distillery. Some of them are high priced. They were all selling out initially but now they seem to have it in stock. There's the Froggy's stuff mentioned in the deals section which is one gallon for $40 but comments are that it smells. Some say adding pennies/copper takes care of the smell.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13945616-1...nd-sanitizer-80-alcohol-36-free-shipping

https://www.distilledspirits.org/di...d-19/distilleries-making-hand-sanitizer/

All the distilleries are making the 80% WHO formula which is watery. The Froggy stuff seems to have a problem with QC or their ingredients or whatever they're using to make the alcohol denatured. The regular gel stuff is normally in the 62-70% range.

The ones in my state are doing things like 2 free ounces, to $10 for 8 oz to $20 for a liter. Worst is probably $5 for 100ml.

I have enough to last a couple months so I'm holding out for the supply to increase in the next few weeks.

Good luck, they are sold out everywhere and in some places you have to ask the customer service desk to get one or two tiny bottle of it.

This is for hand sanitizer in gel or wipe form, bleach, 70% alcohol, Clorox wipes, etc.

What I do now is to just use hand soap and water, carry it with me in my car, just wash with soap and pour water on it to rinse (over a storm drain cover if possible). I don't trust hand sanitizer as much as I trust soap and water. It may or may not work for you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back