Welding Helmet Fogging Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same issue with motorcycle helmets in cold weather. I have tried shampoo, shaving cream and a raw cut potato. They don't help much.

While welding, what helped me the most was exhaling with my upper lip protruding over my lower lip which directs the moist air downwards. Not as hard as it sounds, some practice is all it takes. Inhale deeply through your nose and exhale through your mouth.

There is still some fog build up and I am going to mount a small fan at the top of the welding helmet and have it blow downwards. Am planning to mount 4 rechargeable NiMh AAs to drive the 5V fan. I am attaching a photo of a 5V fan I have, it is about 2 ins square.

000_0181.jpg

Last edited:
RainX AntiFog did not work for me. I bought a bottle this morning and tried it out this afternoon. It did not diminish fogging at all. I will try reapplying the Rainx.

It looks like I will go ahead with mounting the fan on my helmet.

George are you welding out in the cold?
I'm not sure what you are doing but I weld aluminum power bus in all temp extremes and have never had this problem.
Maybe try putting a hanky over your face with the hopes that it would force some of your exhale out the bottom and more importantly collect moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back