PQIA Looks at Leading 0W-20's

Leading or just a selection of 5? Seems strange that 4 out of 5 are HM; would have expected all to be or none to be in order to compare.

More 0W-20s....way to go for something new PQIA.
sleep.gif

Thank you for the link. Here are the Noack x CCS values -- the lower the product, the higher the base-oil quality. Mobil 1 has by far the highest-quality base oil and Castrol has the lowest-quality base oil as usual. However, Castrol 0W-20's base oil is still fairly decent -- other Castrol viscosity grades (except Euro grades such as 0W-40) tend to be near the bottom in base-oil quality, using the cheapest Group III base stocks. Super Tech HM 0W-20 has surprisingly a GTL or a Group III+++ base oil.

Code
Noack x CCS rating

(a lower value indicates higher API base-stock groups

and/or a higher base-oil (not finished-oil) viscosity index (VI))

1. M1 HM 0W-20: 51,100 (GTL + PAO + AN)

2. ST HM 0W-20: 56,500 (GTL or Group III+++)

3. PP HM 0W-20: 56,800 (GTL or Group III+++)

4. Valvoline FS HM 0W-20: 61,500 (Group III+)

5. Castrol 0W-20: 62,100 (Group III+)

Wow, phosphorus (P) in the PP HM 0W-20 is low -- 560 ppm! When did that happen?

ST HM phosphorus is not looking good either.

M1 HM TBN is strong.

Castrol add pack looks strong, with moly, titanium, and boron, and it's low in calcium for TGDI engines.

You welcome.
I've been running 0W-20 ST HM in my Golf last 4 oil changes (every 6 months 4-5K miles) with good results and millage
Extended period 47.3 - 49.1 MPG on clear gas
Going to try that Castrol Edge next

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Wow, phosphorus (P) in the PP HM 0W-20 is low -- 560 ppm! When did that happen?.

Maybe that's what settles out in the bottles?
21.gif

Originally Posted by Leo99
ST FTW!

I agree...Supertech doesn't seem to give anything up to the others.....for $14.88 for the 5 quart jug everyday....

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I take this with a grain of salt because I don't trust PQIA testing...

Why is that?

When comparing PQIA's testing with other labs, things don't always line up. Other labs will align while POIA is "out there".

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Wow, phosphorus (P) in the PP HM 0W-20 is low -- 560 ppm! When did that happen?

And PPHM went way down on Moly. I use PPHM 5W-30 and Moly has consistently shown ~150ppm in my UOAs, maybe SOPUS uses less in their 0W-20 formula? I'll keep an eye on UOAs here to see if this is a new trend.

Nice Noack on the Mobil 1. I heard they may start publishing Noack.

Back