HF Charger barely lasted a year

I really wanted to like this charger but it simply didn't last. I used it often to charge my kids 2 power wheels, now it acts like it's charging and it shows full but the power wheels last 30 seconds. I confirmed this by using a battery tender and it charged it no problem.
[Linked Image]

The last HF charger I purchased, a $29.99 6V/12V cheapie, lasted exactly one use. Notice I said that was the LAST Harbor Freight charger I purchased.

It's $22.99 on their website now (with coupon 95195694).
If you were happy with it other than its short life I'd just get another one at that price.

There's enough 1-star reviews though to look elsewhere.

I charge my car batteries and kids' two power wheels, one 12VDC and a smaller 6VDC, using a DC power supply. For the power wheels I try to keep charge rate at or less than 1A. I ramp up voltage to 14.4VDC and charge until amperage drops to almost nothing.

There are better battery chargers than Harbor Freight. But they cost more. Battery Minder. I have several. Used to maintain various batteries over the winter. And one for charging if that is needed.

I'd take it back and complain. It doesn't need to be to a manager, the associate will find him/her. You might be surprised.

I shop several HF stores and they've all been more than fair to me.

BTW-I have no business association with HF!

HF is usually pretty good. However, there are only two things I buy from HF: non-electrical hand tools, and things I know I am only ever going to use once. The first because they carry lifetime warranty and are very unlikely to break, and the second because if it was important enough to need more than once, I'll make sure I get something that will last. I got a 10 amp Pro-Logix (only about 2 years ago, and it was almost 60% cheaper than now!
confused2.gif
) and it's sturdy, charges great, will work as a tender or a 12V supply for the electronics if the battery is out of the vehicle. I've had a couple batteries that I was sure were ready to scrap, and I ran a couple charge cycles on it and they're still working today.

Remember that HF sells to meet a price point, not to match quality with big brands. Some things may be able to still be made well at the cheap price, but not everything can. It's not HF's fault people think they can squeeze blood from a turnip.
Pro-Logix Maintainer

Last edited:
Originally Posted by David2431
I'd take it back and complain. It doesn't need to be to a manager, the associate will find him/her. You might be surprised.

I shop several HF stores and they've all been more than fair to me.

BTW-I have no business association with HF!

+1. They are pretty good at making things right. They may give you a new one.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Why not pick up this 8amp charger instead? Twice the current and about the same price at $25.02. I have one but have only used it a couple times so don't know when it will die. Hasn't died in the couple times I've used it. This one is 4.5 stars. Just don't use it as a maintainer.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1279-12V-Rapid-Charger/dp/B07DM22XTN

Yep, I have a Schumacher Farm and Ranch that's 20 years old … Nice to be able to select various outputs.
I'm going to isolate parasitic loss (Perco switch on boat etc) any day before leaving a fire hazard on a battery unattended
I also have a 2 amp from them meant to leave hooked up … but rather do daylight to dark a couple days with things in plain sight. This re-think came from our boat barn owner shutting down the 120V plugs to stalls.
(moved my boat home after the fire) …

I have this one from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/10250-amp-12v-manual-charger-with-engine-start-60581.html

I have used it for a couple of years without issues. There are always some type of coupons or promotions going on so no need to pay $54.99. I had a Nissan 370Z with a battery that was only a couple of years old that wouldn't hold a charge more than about a week or ten days if it was sitting. As PM I hooked up the charger on the 2 Amp mode and let it charge for about 4 to 6 hours whenever the car had been sitting for close to a week. I never tried the quick charge or engine start modes though, the battery never got that low. But I'm glad to have it out in the garage in case those situations ever arise.

That charger looks beat to crap. I have several chargers and tenders that I use on 3 boat batteries, a lawnmower battery, my Corvette & truck. I have not had any problems with any of them except for a battery tender plus that I ran over with the front tire of my Corvette. My chargers look like new yet and yours looks like its been banged around a lot. Not trying to be an idiot here but just saying. I would get a battery tender plus they are awesome.
cheers3.gif

I've never bought any of their chargers aside from their ultra high quality $5 trickle chargers. I've got two of them that stay plugged into my OPE for the entire ~6 month off season. One of the two is 12-14yrs/old.

I'd be curious to see what the failed on the above. I'm thinking moisture got to something?

Last edited:
If I buy anything basic from HF it is an item that I don't care much about. Use it to get the job done and if it breaks after that it goes in the dumpster.

My unit is not really beat up, it's just dirty. I knew from day one this wasn't going to last years and years like some do. It's weighs about half as much as a Battery Tender 1.25A model which says a lot with power supply/chargers. If they don't weigh much, it means corners were cut.

Back