Detroit 4-53T 2009 Ford F350 Update.:)

Well guys, my 4-53T lasted about 600 miles before it failed. Turned out the engine was worn out and had sat outside for years in the Florida weather before it was brought inside and revived. Later sold to me as a good running Detroit where it sat in storage for another 10 years before I finally found a new home for it in my 2009 F350. Overall it ran pretty well only showing signs of trouble on long hills at 30 PSI boost where the blow-by was bad. I figured a rebuild was not far away, but an old Detroit mechanic I know said it just need a really good pull to set the rings, so that what I did. I went on a 5 hour road trip will lots of hills and it failed on the way back climbing an 8% grade after 5-7 minutes. Post inspection showed an engine that was totally trashed, amazing it ran as well as it did. #2 piston seized and broke the liner and that was it. I'm now in the process of building it up as a Silver Series with Ceramic coated pistons, new performance cam, new crank, rebuilt head. Happy time ahead.:)

Before Failure: It failed a few minutes after this video was taken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7lUoS-1ugQ

Post Failure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk2Fj2P9vdA&t=10s

IMG_8178.JPG

IMG_8483.JPG

IMG_8469.JPG

IMG_8466.JPG

IMG_8619.JPG

IMG_8647.JPG

IMG_8650.JPG

Is the silver series like the Silver Series the high out put versions . From My fading memory Detroit offered a 430 Hp 8V92 that was really powerful in its day.

What were the EGTs right before it failed? I've rebuilt a few 8V92s but the ECM controlled ones. Certainly giving it a work out with that RPM.

Edit: I heard you say 1050* when it failed. Did ever go over 1200*? Usually that's the rule of thumb for sustained EGTs. After seeing that rotted liner it's no wonder it broke.

I see a lot of mcbee parts there. They have been a mixed bag of quality, particularly the seals, IME

Last edited:
I wonder how hard it would be to transplant 6.0L's in these dead 6.4L trucks? I realize you're already on another path, Just thinking out loud.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I wonder how hard it would be to transplant 6.0L's in these dead 6.4L trucks? I realize you're already on another path, Just thinking out loud.

It really would not be bad. Throw away the 6.4 TCM and ECM, take the full harness from the 6.0 with ECM/FICM and you should be able to get it running. You'd have to figure out integrating the instrument cluster but that is about it. Certainly easier than the OPs project.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
Is the silver series like the Silver Series the high out put versions . From My fading memory Detroit offered a 430 Hp 8V92 that was really powerful in its day.

Basically yes, the Silver Series was Detroits last version of this engine that improved reliability, HP and noise levels. It raised the HP from 170 HP to 185 HP.

Originally Posted by mattd
What were the EGTs right before it failed? I've rebuilt a few 8V92s but the ECM controlled ones. Certainly giving it a work out with that RPM.

Edit: I heard you say 1050* when it failed. Did ever go over 1200*? Usually that's the rule of thumb for sustained EGTs. After seeing that rotted liner it's no wonder it broke.

I see a lot of mcbee parts there. They have been a mixed bag of quality, particularly the seals, IME

Yes it failed at 1050 and the hottest I've ever seen in go to is 1100 for a few seconds then back down to 1050-1060. The head parts are Mcbee's and the bottom end is all FP.

Originally Posted by A310
Originally Posted by CT8

Basically yes, the Silver Series was Detroits last version of this engine that improved reliability, HP and noise levels. It raised the HP from 170 HP to 185 HP.

sorry for the $$$$ rebuild but it will be awesome !!

Originally Posted by clinebarger

It really would not be bad. Throw away the 6.4 TCM and ECM, take the full harness from the 6.0 with ECM/FICM and you should be able to get it running. You'd have to figure out integrating the instrument cluster but that is about it. Certainly easier than the OPs project.

Very true, to put a 6.0 in this truck would have been a lot easier than fitting in the 4-53T.:)

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by CT8

sorry for the $$$$ rebuild but it will be awesome !!

I should have done this in the beginning before I put it in the truck.:)

Very true, to put a 6.0 in this truck would have been a lot easier than fitting in the 4-53T.:)

But then he wouldn't have gotten that sweet, sweet 2 stroke diesel sound!

Sorry to poop on your parade. As a 30 year DD mechanic it's a bad idea to hop up/push a 53 series DD. They were not that reliable as a stock engine. :-(

I went on a 5 hour road trip will lots of hills and it failed on the way back climbing an 8% grade after 5-7 minutes. Post inspection showed an engine that was totally trashed, amazing it ran as well as it did. #2 piston seized and broke the liner and that was it.

You replaced a big V8 Powerstroke with a little 4 banger in a heavy F350 and you're surprised this happened?

Originally Posted by atikovi
I went on a 5 hour road trip will lots of hills and it failed on the way back climbing an 8% grade after 5-7 minutes. Post inspection showed an engine that was totally trashed, amazing it ran as well as it did. #2 piston seized and broke the liner and that was it.

You replaced a big V8 Powerstroke with a little 4 banger in a heavy F350 and you're surprised this happened?

A 453T is 212 cubic inches? Pretty big for an I4. Only 175 horsepower but 420 foot-pounds torque.
http://powerforce.com/PDFs/2Cycle_Engines/DS_PF4-53T.pdf

I'm not sure what kind of derating it has, but I'm guessing that if you could cool it, it would probably be happy at full throttle (at full load) until the fuel tank went empty. It was meant to be worked, and hard.

Oh and to the OP, bummer on the failure, but it sounds like, of all people out there, this is really just a bump in the road for you!

Originally Posted by supton

A 453T is 212 cubic inches? Pretty big for an I4. Only 175 horsepower but 420 foot-pounds torque.

I'm not sure what kind of derating it has, but I'm guessing that if you could cool it, it would probably be happy at full throttle (at full load) until the fuel tank went empty. It was meant to be worked, and hard.

There was a problem with that block he had with corrosion in the water jackets, which caused a restriction in coolant flow around the liner, which in turn caused the piston to overheat/melt, which caused a massive failure. Nothing he could have really done about it unless stripped it all the way down before he installed it. The EGTs he has sustained would not have caused this failure with a full functional cooling system

Last edited:

There was a problem with that block he had with corrosion in the water jackets, which caused a restriction in coolant flow around the liner, which in turn caused the piston to overheat/melt, which caused a massive failure. Nothing he could have really done about it unless stripped it all the way down before he installed it. The EGTs he has sustained would not have caused this failure with a full functional cooling system

I get that, it was aimed at atikovi who though the engine was up to the task, regardless of its health. Casual poking around indicate the 453T was used in 18k to 26k GVWR applications. Which would have that engine wrung out on any hill. More than up to the task in an unloaded F350.

Just saw that the engine tips the scales at 1,300lb. Yikes.

Not sure what the PS was rated at in OP's truck but assume over 300 HP and over 700 torque.

Casual poking around indicate the 453T was used in 18k to 26k GVWR applications. Which would have that engine wrung out on any hill. More than up to the task in an unloaded F350.

OK but a 15 speed or whatever number of gears they use in big trucks compensates a good bit. Seems pretty high strung if you compare the spec between the two. Kinda like the 350 HP AMG 4 cylinder engines Mercedes puts in 4,000 pound sedans.

Back