Thoughts on CAFE standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford is virtually stopping production of passenger cars. Dodge and Chevrolet are trimming down their passenger car offerings. Passenger cars add greatly to a manufacturer's overall corporate fuel economy.

As CAFE standards tighten, how will manufacturers meet CAFE standards without passenger cars? We will have to see some awfully fuel efficient pickup trucks and SUVs.

Or, manufacturers will have to offer very affordable bare-bones automobiles that are safe and affordable for the low wage working public to help boost CAFE standards.

I for one think we need "a people's car". Keep the body style the same for ten years and change the power train as needed.

Have you read the CAFE standard? Trucks don't have to meet the same standard as cars.

I thought light trucks (over a certain GVW) were exempt because it would be a burden on the contractors that rely on having these vehicles available.

Just threw in more 0w30 M1 and dash of LG Biotech in my 0w20 US Spec'd Civic.Not a fan of any 0w20 except Castrol Magnatec or Redline 0w20.

My 2.7 with the driving I have averaged 22.9 mpgs over a 5 year average usually i get 23.4 mpgs like clock work doing the math at each fill up. I4 mpgs in the F350 empty and 8 to 9 mpgs towing.

I believe the new standard calls for a 1.5% improvement per year, or about 40 mpg in 2025, which seems, on the surface, to be achievable. The prior standard called for a 5% improvement per year, leading to a requirement for 54mpg in 2025.

The Honda Accord hybrid achieves a mid 40's real world MPG, and while it's considered a full sized car as it just barely meets the criteria, it's much more closely aligned with a mid sized car.

However, the current environment is going to be tough for automakers. Development may not come as easily or as fast. The Ford Fusion hybrid may meet the requirements, none of the other recent Ford cars will. Bottom line, American manufacturers will have a tough time meeting the relaxed regulations.

Last edited:
The problem is going to be that the Avg for all vehicles the manufacturer produces must be about 40 mpg which means for every 25 mpg car there has to be a 55 mpg car to balance it and sold. So you have to get half the buying public to move to Electric vehicles without the infrastructure to support them or the technology to charge them in a reasonable amount of time. I dont think there is a real broad market for all electric which means they have to make huge gains in Hybrids. The government could put a $3/gal tax on gas and that would kill the used SUV market and move people to smaller Hybrids but short of that people will vote with their wallets. Many talk green but like AL Gore want to fly around in a private jet and admonish the rest of us for not doing enough.

coffee2.gif
IBTL.

"Compact Utility Vehilces" are station wagons which have been shaped a bit differently. A Ford Ecosport gets better fuel economy than a Buick Regal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back