Troy Bilt TB6044XP string trimmer dies when hot

I have a Troy Bilt TB6044XP 32cc 4-cycle string trimmer that won't stay running. Starts fine and it will run for 15-20 minutes but once the unit gets good and hot, it shuts down. No sputtering, no effort to run at all, just falls flat on its face. No amount of pulling the rope will get it to start again unless you let it cool down for 15-20 minutes, then it will fire up again for a few more minutes until it gets hot. I first noticed this last summer, it would only run for 5-10 minutes in the dead of summer, but it seems to be running a bit longer now that the weather is cooler.

Any ideas? When it's running, it runs like a dream. I thought ignition coil would be an inexpensive place to start, but open to suggestions!

Have had similar problems, one the fuel line would collapse when it got hot due to ethanol and two the coil would become weak when hot. Different machines both air cooled.

I was working on a Stihl pole saw with a "4-mix" engine (4 cycle, but runs on 50:1 mix and doesn't have oil in the crankcase, weird design). It wouldn't idle when warmed up and lost power and died when hot, but ran great after I reset the valve clearances. If I remember correctly I think the exhaust valve was tight. Worth checking if it's never been done.

Otherwise, if your machine idles/runs great until it suddenly dies, it's probably the coil.

Had an old Poulin chainsaw like that. I read the bore would get out of round when hot and lose compression. It's telling you to take a break? Or a bad coil?...

Check for collapsed fuel line. When it fails to start, pull the plug, connect it, ground it and see if there is spark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by super20dan
buy a real trimmer. these are junk. throwaways

I have a "real" trimmer, this one is a backup that I use a cultivator attachment on. Problem occurs even when using as string trimmer. Not mission critical but would like to keep it running. I'm well aware of Troy-Bilt / MTD quality.

You may be able to use a spark checker when its hot to see if the coil is the issue but also check that the choke is moving to the off position and look at the fuel line to see if it is laying up against the engine, you might be getting a vapor lock. You may have to pull the bowl and check the float level it may have gotten fuel soaked or leaked into the float. running rich when cold is not a problem but when it gets hot its just like turning the choke on. You can also get a can of starter fluid and when it dies give it a shot through the air cleaner and try starting it, if it does not at least fire for a sec or 2 its most likely spark if it does fire its fuel.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I have a Troy Bilt TB6044XP 32cc 4-cycle string trimmer that won't stay running. Starts fine and it will run for 15-20 minutes but once the unit gets good and hot, it shuts down. No sputtering, no effort to run at all, just falls flat on its face. No amount of pulling the rope will get it to start again unless you let it cool down for 15-20 minutes, then it will fire up again for a few more minutes until it gets hot. I first noticed this last summer, it would only run for 5-10 minutes in the dead of summer, but it seems to be running a bit longer now that the weather is cooler.

Any ideas? When it's running, it runs like a dream. I thought ignition coil would be an inexpensive place to start, but open to suggestions!

Check for spark when it won't start. If you get a new one, go for 2 cycle. Those 4 cycle units are heavy and can wear you out doing a lot of trimming.

My troybilt 4cycle lasted me 7 years. Was leaking oil. Not a single issue. Decided to buy a real weed eater, lol. Sthil straight shaft. So far so good 5 years later.

Last edited:
I run the Tb590ec. Other than having to drain the fuel tank after use because the carb siphons fuel out, it starts not to bad (opened up the main jet) and runs very strong. I can run it pretty much wide open for a full tank hacking down the forest.

Mine has the 29cc powerhead and they call for a valve adjustment at some interval. There are some YouTube videos showing the process.

Back