BG SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil

Hey Guys,
I have a 2001 Suburban that was in the shop for some gasket replacements. They had to do a oil change and put in BG SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-sae-5w-30-synthetic-engine-oil/

Any thoughts? Run it? Drain it? havent ever seen it. I have been running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oi for the past few years.
Thanks in Advance.

Jonny

Last edited:
Can't find a certification on their web site or the PQIA site. Any dealer dabbling in BGery certainly tries to get your money. It may not be certified, but I guarantee it's expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Can't find a certification on their web site or the PQIA site. Any dealer dabbling in BGery certainly tries to get your money. It may not be certified, but I guarantee it's expensive.

[Linked Image]

It appears to be dexos 1G2 certified.

Originally Posted by csandste

It is not API licensed per the EOLCS website.

What shop was this in, a manufacturer dealership? Regardless, any shop that puts non API licensed oil in customer vehicles should be avoided unless they thoroughly explain to the customer what it is that they are getting.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
[Linked Image]

It appears to be dexos 1G2 certified.

No, BG Wholesale is not the same as BG Products, Inc. The oil listed in this thread is not dexos licensed (nor apparently any other license for that matter).

I wouldn't throw it out but I'd never buy it again. Dealers love this stuff cause it brings in big bucks. Their Induction cleaners cost way more than Valvoline and lots of dealers push the he triple toothpicks out of it. Big engine warranties if you give eh all your money. Run it and run from that dealer. Service writers dream.

Last edited:
It's possible that the BG product is better than other products because it is not API licensed. Study this recent thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...h-performance-lubricants-pds#Post5397222

Plenty of people here use Amsoil and other products that are not API licensed. It just takes a bit more gonads to trust the manufacturer.

I do not like the BG business plan nor Amsoil's, but that does not mean their products are lousy. I use John Deere Plus50 II at my workplace (I get a discount) and it is not API certified. I'm surprised at myself because I am quite OCD about many things.

I wouldn't waste this oil by draining it.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
It's possible that the BG product is better than other products because it is not API licensed. Study this recent thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...h-performance-lubricants-pds#Post5397222

Plenty of people here use Amsoil and other products that are not API licensed. It just takes a bit more gonads to trust the manufacturer.

I do not like the BG business plan nor Amsoil's, but that does not mean their products are lousy. I use John Deere Plus50 II at my workplace (I get a discount) and it is not API certified. I'm surprised at myself because I am quite OCD about many things.

It may be better, but it might not be better. That's the problem with unlicensed oils, you really don't know.

And a manufacturer like Deere offering an oil that they provide for their equipment is really quite different. For example, way back in the day I used to buy BMW branded oil at the dealership since I got a small discount and it was less expensive than the individual quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 that were available at that time. It too was not API licensed but it met the requirement of the manufacturer for my vehicle.

What I have a problem with is blenders that word their statements and PDS in a way to obfuscate whether an oil has a license or certification or not. They should make it clear and then let the user decide if that's important.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by doitmyself

It may be better, but it might not be better. That's the problem with unlicensed oils, you really don't know.

And a manufacturer like Deere offering an oil that they provide for their equipment is really quite different. For example, way back in the day I used to buy BMW branded oil at the dealership since I got a small discount and it was less expensive than the individual quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 that were available at that time. It too was not API licensed but it met the requirement of the manufacturer for my vehicle.

What I have a problem with is blenders that word their statements and PDS in a way to obfuscate whether an oil has a license or certification or not. They should make it clear and then let the user decide if that's important.

Agree.

Back