JD Yanmar deisel engine

You should use a diesel 5-40 oil for year round use. No need to change it out for winter. Rotella T-4 would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Been running 5w40 with yearly changes for years on my little 25 hp JD diesel.

More importantly I run Power Service Bio Kleen in fuel every time. .25oz per 5gallons

Last edited:
Good buy on the Deere I owned a 4310 for 13 years and sold it when I moved . The owner of the house I bought left a DK45 Kioti ,it is a surprisingly a nice tractor. I will tell you why a John Deere is by far the best tractor you can buy,,It is the parts availability . The parts are what over shadows the J.D quality . The parts availability is far superior to any other brand as well, That is why the big farmers and Dairymen people have John Deeres

I maintain a 2005 JD 4115 25hp Yanmar powered tractor at my workplace with about 1200 hours on it. The recommended OCI is 200 hours using 5w30
crazy2.gif
, 10w30, or 15w40. JD's oil grade recommendations never made sense to me. I change it once a year at about 90 hours because it has a really small sump - only 2.1 quarts vs. my old Kubota with 4+ quart sump.

When new, I debated 10w30 vs. 15w40, maybe running the 10w in winter and the 15w in the summer (very short OCI). The dealer, for what it's worth, recommended running the 15w40 year round,especially emphasizing it for summer. That's what I've been doing and everything is fine. The tractor sits in an attached unheated garage (tempers the cold a bit) during winter when I use it for snow plowing. It starts just fine in the winter, but I'm sure that it is not the best option the very few times it is started below 10F. My old Kubota recommended 10w30 year round.

If I used this tractor a lot of hours, I would consider managing the oil better. My point is, at my low hours accumulation, I will never notice that extra bit of engine wear that occurs on 3 or 4 cold start ups per year. One would think that 5w40 would be the best for a year round oil if you are on the fence about choosing. I know Dnewton is impressed with HDEO 10w30s and maybe that would work as well - the dealer thought it might not be wise under very heavy, hot summer use.
21.gif

I'm in central lower Michigan.

Reactions: JTK
I used Rotella T4 15w40 conventional in my 1992 JD 332 Yanmar diesel for over 20 years. It ran like a top when I sold it 7 years ago.

Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck/Delvac 1 is a very robust oil that holds up amazingly well in many applications, including non diesel applications.

Last edited:
Is this the 3025E?

I looked it up online and it said Plus50, which as far as I can tell is a 15w40. Does JD do this with all of their equipment?

https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/common/parts-and-service/manuals-training/3E%20Series%20Compact%20Utility%20Tractors%20-%203025E,%203032E,%203038E.pdf

Back