13 Hyundai Sonata 24 vs 12 Jetta 2.0 TDI

Hi guys!

I currently own a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 with 110,000 miles on it. I had the engine replaced under warranty already due to the recall and it seizing. They replaced the entire long block.

I was thinking about getting a new (new to me) vehicle. I found a 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI with 64,000 miles on it. The VW is a certified pre-owned with a 2 year or 24,000 mile factory warranty. The car is also part of the dieselgate thing so they have an extended warranty to 120,000 miles or 10 years from in service date on the engine and the emissions system including exhaust. I have heard mixed on the 2.0 TDI engines and was hoping to get the reality on them - some say they are bulletproof and others say they are junk and very unreliable. The other consideration is it is the DSG transmission - also seems to be mixed when I google!

Long term to me is the reliability of the vehicle. I would pay a little less monthly for the VW than the Hyundai. Just looking for some opinions on whether to keep the Hyundai or get the VW!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Hallj49803
Hi guys!

I currently own a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 with 110,000 miles on it. I had the engine replaced under warranty already due to the recall and it seizing. They replaced the entire long block.

I was thinking about getting a new (new to me) vehicle. I found a 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI with 64,000 miles on it. The VW is a certified pre-owned with a 2 year or 24,000 mile factory warranty. The car is also part of the dieselgate thing so they have an extended warranty to 120,000 miles or 10 years from in service date on the engine and the emissions system including exhaust. I have heard mixed on the 2.0 TDI engines and was hoping to get the reality on them - some say they are bulletproof and others say they are junk and very unreliable. The other consideration is it is the DSG transmission - also seems to be mixed when I google!

Long term to me is the reliability of the vehicle. I would pay a little less monthly for the VW than the Hyundai. Just looking for some opinions on whether to keep the Hyundai or get the VW!

Thanks!

Coming from an owner of both brands, i'd go with Jetta TDi. VW diesels have a reputation for very high, reliable mileage and 64K isn't much. It will also get much better mpg and probably be cheaper to ensure. I had no issues with either 2.4 Sonata i owned and would not hesitate buying anoter. But given the choice you propose, the Jetta would get my vote.

I had a 2014 VW Jetta wagon with TDI and the DSG trans. Loved the car. I sold it back to VW due to illness and my wife wanting a gas powered car. She was uncomfortable driving it and looking for diesel. I would have another one of these if I could. Go for it!

I like VWs but don't have any experience with a TDI so I'll refrain on that. I do know that Hyundai is still having issues with those engines. How long is your replacement under warranty? It is a very real possibility the replacement is going to repeat what the first one did.

Originally Posted by wemay
Coming from an owner of both brands, i'd go with Jetta TDi. VW diesels have a reputation for very high, reliable mileage and 64K isn't much. It will also get much better mpg and probably be cheaper to ensure. I had no issues with either 2.4 Sonata i owned and would not hesitate buying anoter. But given the choice you propose, the Jetta would get my vote.

Considering the current disparity between gas and diesel prices, combined with the additional service costs of the diesel, I'd go with the Hyundai.

remember op, the best used car is the one you already own
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Considering the current disparity between gas and diesel prices, combined with the additional service costs of the diesel, I'd go with the Hyundai.

remember op, the best used car is the one you already own
thumbsup2.gif

Cannot argue with this.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I like VWs but don't have any experience with a TDI so I'll refrain on that. I do know that Hyundai is still having issues with those engines. How long is your replacement under warranty? It is a very real possibility the replacement is going to repeat what the first one did.

I asked the dealership last time it was in for service and they said officially 120,000 miles or 10 years from in service date, BUT that they had a couple that came in with well over that mileage and they were approved for replacement. They have not had any experience with a second engine replacement needed though...

Hi guys!

Thanks!

Insurance is only like 3 dollars less a month so it was a wash on that. I like my Sonata a lot, but the Jetta has a a huge sunroof which is nice, heated seats, less miles, and I am told might drive a bit nicer. Plus being a CPO I feel like it is in good shape since VW cleared it after 8 years...

My '06 has over 325K but that's the dirty diesel and even it has an EGR cooler delete. Lots of people say the emissions on the clean diesels are expensive to repair. I guess with the warranty you have nothing to worry about, at least short term. After 5 years it won't be worth much anyway, and neither will the Sonata, so go for it.

I would pay a little less monthly for the VW than the Hyundai. Just looking for some opinions on whether to keep the Hyundai or get the VW!

Is it for the same length of time, or are you resetting the loan clock and going back to 2 year, 3 year or whatever?

I'd want to get rid of the Hyundai also, after an engine replacement; but what are the odds of it happening again? And, if it were, is it really going to be cost effective to trade vehicles?

I loved my VW, loved the diesel it had, but it was pre-emissions (to a degree) and I am not sure I'd want to jump back into one any time soon. If I did, I'd go in assuming I'd be the only one working on it (hard to find good mechanics for them, in my area anyhow, or I'm driving long distances), and spending some coin on tools. All of which kind of eats into any cost savings--and should be part of the financial outlook&plan for these sorts of things.

Not sure about the 2013 but our 2016 Kia 2.4 is supposed to have unlimited mileage on replacement engines from what I read. We are still on the original engine tho.

Originally Posted by rekit
Not sure about the 2013 but our 2016 Kia 2.4 is supposed to have unlimited mileage on replacement engines from what I read. We are still on the original engine tho.

Hyundai screwed Hyundai owners, but gave Kia unlimited miles and years on theirs it seems. Not sure why...

Originally Posted by supton
I would pay a little less monthly for the VW than the Hyundai. Just looking for some opinions on whether to keep the Hyundai or get the VW!

Is it for the same length of time, or are you resetting the loan clock and going back to 2 year, 3 year or whatever?

I'd want to get rid of the Hyundai also, after an engine replacement; but what are the odds of it happening again? And, if it were, is it really going to be cost effective to trade vehicles?

I loved my VW, loved the diesel it had, but it was pre-emissions (to a degree) and I am not sure I'd want to jump back into one any time soon. If I did, I'd go in assuming I'd be the only one working on it (hard to find good mechanics for them, in my area anyhow, or I'm driving long distances), and spending some coin on tools. All of which kind of eats into any cost savings--and should be part of the financial outlook&plan for these sorts of things.

I would reset the clock, but have the same payment is what I meant. That is not a concern to me as much as just having a car that won't let me down.

I am not sure if it will happen again. Maybe the new engine will last forever... it seems the transmissions are pretty decent on these, I have really been unable to find anyone with an issue with them.

I suppose that is true, but I would assume a VW dealer should have a mechanic there that knows what they are doing.

Hi guys!

Thanks!

Let's put on a side driving dynamic etc.
VW is for a loooooong time in small diesel business. Arguably in 1990's they were the best. 2012 generation has bulletproof engine, and DSG transmission is good as long as you change fluid and filter every 40-50k (around $250-300 in dealership).
Emission system later could have issues, and your will have to clean or replace DPF between 150 and 200k.
Also, all Euro vehicles run specific oils, and TDI requires VW504.00/507.00 specification which usually you can get online not in your local store.

Originally Posted by Trav
The VW TDI is one of the best little diesels I ever drove and as you say bulletproof.

They were for some time the best, no any way around that. However, when they ventured into Pumpe-Duse technology and debacle with 2.0TDI engine with that technology, put them behind some companies.
2.0 TDI with common rail technology is really good engine, but I can think of several other I would go with, but mostly they are not available here in the US except BMW.

Last edited:
I purchased a Dieselgate VW ( 2013 Golf TDi) about 18 months ago. 70K on it when I got it. I've put on 20K with only one issue. Threw a Oxygen sensor code right after I got it, covered under warranty. Still love it after the 18 months and will keep it for a long time. It feels well built and the turbo diesel is a blast to drive.

If it's certified VW It'll have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. The emissions warranty which covers HPFP, turbo, cat, EGR etc is:

-10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from
the vehicle's original in-service date; OR
-4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of the emissions modification.

One note, make sure your commute can support a TDi. They take a good 15 miles to fully warm up and they will go into a regen cycle every 3-800 miles which requires you to complete the burn off cycle. They usually last at least 15 minutes. If they don't finish you'll throw codes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Huie83
I purchased a Dieselgate VW ( 2013 Golf TDi) about 18 months ago. 70K on it when I got it. I've put on 20K with only one issue. Threw a Oxygen sensor code right after I got it, covered under warranty. Still love it after the 18 months and will keep it for a long time. It feels well built and the turbo diesel is a blast to drive.

If it's certified VW It'll have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. The emissions warranty which covers HPFP, turbo, cat, EGR etc is:

One note, make sure your commute can support a TDi. They take a good 15 miles to fully warm up and they will go into a regen cycle every 3-800 miles which requires you to complete the burn off cycle. They usually last at least 15 minutes. If they don't finish you'll throw codes.

I am currently driving about 15 miles or so to work and 15 miles or so back. Most of it is back roads s about 35-40 minute trips.

Originally Posted by Huie83

I am currently driving about 15 miles or so to work and 15 miles or so back. Most of it is back roads s about 35-40 minute trips.

Burn off cycle is rarely that long. What is most important is that you warm up fully engine. DPF regeneration will not activate unless coolant temperature is above 60c.
Make sure you use really good diesel. I found out that regeneration cycle on my BMW X5 35d depended a lot on where I get diesel. Phillips66 or Conoco would get me 245-300 miles between regenerations, Shell could do 500 miles.
Also, since Pittsburgh can get cold, in the beginning always set up ventilation on cold and do not turn it on or turn it on while HVAC on cold. That will speed up warm up. However, I would personally look for some type of block heater or electric heater that activates when you turn on heat on HVAC which warms up oncoming air.

Back