Amber Alerts at 5am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so you know-you can turn them off, not saying you should. but we thought you could not. On our Androids it is under Messages/settings/emergency alert settings/emergency alerts. You can choose Extreme, Severe, Amber individually. I decided I'm not getting up at 5am to drive 200-300 miles away to help, no matter how loud and shrill the alarm is. Now if they could narrow down the location I'll turn it back on. This is informational only. No replies needed.

I turned mine off. I don't need to be awakened in the middle of the night for something I cannot Control. If I'm driving I'm not going to stare at license plates and try to match vehicle descriptions. If I'm home then that's that.

It's a system with good intentions but I would wonder what the actual success rate is.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I turned mine off. I don't need to be awakened in the middle of the night for something I cannot Control.

Yep, don't want get awakened at 2 am to find out a tornado is bearing down on your house.

A public defender friend of mine indicated the actual amber alert is counter productive is some cases as it causes the perpetrator to panic and/or act rashly.

So there may be an unintended consequence of issuing one that is less beneficial to the missing person.

The risk/benefit has to be evaluated with real data, not just "pondered"

Mines been set to off for years. Just takes getting one at 3 am to make that decision.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I turned mine off. I don't need to be awakened in the middle of the night for something I cannot Control.

Yep, don't want get awakened at 2 am to find out a tornado is bearing down on your house.

There are 2 separate options. One is for Amber Alerts, the other is for Emergency Alerts..

I've turned off the Amber Alerts years ago, and left on the emergency alerts.

My wife's phone did wake me up this morning for that Amber alert in San Antonio at 5AM. I live in Fort Worth...

Can't you simply shut your phone off at night to prevent the alerts?

Can't see any reason to keep your phone on when you should be sleeping.
And if there's an emergency, I'm almost certain it can wait until morning/phone to finish switching on.

I've turned it off on my phone. Too many non-custodial parent alerts.

First time I actually got woke up by one this morning. I am in Katy TX and this was one from San Antonio. I shut the alerts off.

Does anyone get the same kind of alerts for bad weather?

True story, I'm with a girl and her phone goes off for Amber alert and mine doesn't. Asked if she knew they could be turned off. The conversation turned into why don't I want to help people?

Originally Posted by atikovi

We don't get tornadoes.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Can't you simply shut your phone off at night to prevent the alerts?

Can't see any reason to keep your phone on when you should be sleeping.
And if there's an emergency, I'm almost certain it can wait until morning/phone to finish switching on.

On-call duties plus an independent elderly parent that's needed help at off-hours means the phone stays on all night.

I shut off the Amber Alerts after getting alerts 2 nights in a row, and this was following a night of texts from work, so 3 nights of interrupted sleep. If someone 3 counties away needs help finding their kid, it's going to have to wait until I'm on the road the next morning and see the alert on one of the electronic billboards that are all over the place in the Chicago area.

I turned them off, the alerts are useless. Last summer we had a tornado warning. The alert came up on the news station that was on in the building I happened to be in. We got a really bad storm and some hail for about 20 minutes, then it passed and was sunny/calm for the rest of the day. 5 hours later I received an alert on my phone for a possible tornado in the area.
lol.gif
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back