Do you "correct" your service technician or not?

Just a question on thoughts about situations that seem to keep happening to me.

Just like a lot of you, I'm pretty meticulous about the maintenance of my cars. I have a spreadsheet for each and log as much info as I can.

While a vehicle was in for a little suspension work (which is above my ability), the technician noted items like the following: power steering fluid dirty - needs changed, air filter dirty - needs changed, and cabin filter dirty - needs changed. I d/f the PS every OC and the last time that was done was about 2k ago. I only have 15k on both the filters in question. I would have questioned the tech and the report had the shop tried to sell me those services, but they didn't even ask. Do you think the tech even looked? Or do they use different indicators than I do? I did check the PS fluid after and I would rate it as "clean".

I had a dealership tell me my oil needed changed 200 miles after I put in a synthetic and a PureOne. But they did that to try and sell me service. I've never been back.

I also question why my filters are looked at when I'm in there for some suspension work. Seems like a waste of their time. They did not bill me for that "checkup", but I have no idea if they do that to others. Always a reputable shop to me, so I'm not mad, I just don't understand.

Thanks to all.

I just find an indy so I know exactly what he's doing as he's just a one man shop.

As for looking at your filter, just part of the upsell, good profit margin for not a lot of time.

Who knows if the tech looked.
Who knows if they use different indicators than you.

These seem like great questions for your shop, not a speculative internet chat board that, by definition, cannot answer the questions to your personal maintenance interaction with a mechanic.

Without being a wise guy, I may have asked if checking my power steering fluid, air filter and cabin air filter was part of the suspension repairs. Then I would have told him your version and how fussy you are.

I would guess they are just doing what they are told to do. Maybe write a letter to the owner and ask why his people are suggesting unneccesary service.

I recently took my Mustang to Firestone for the state inspection and the tech warned me that I needed to have the serp belt changed because its about to snap. Ironically I had inspected the belt within the previous week and found it to be in good shape. I asked him how much to change and he wanted $125, I asked why so much for a 15 minute job. He said its more than a 15 minute job. I said please inspect my car and don't do anything else because I don't want a mechanic that cannot change out that belt in under 15 minutes attempting anything more difficult. He proceeded to try and upsell me more stuff that was 100% unneccesary, once the inspection sticker was applied I paid and will never go back. The management at some stores are very sales oriented and they attempt to upsell everything, since a large number of the motoring public has no idea what their mechanic is even talking about, I'm guessing it works more often than not.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Who knows if the tech looked.
Who knows if they use different indicators than you.

These seem like great questions for your shop, not a speculative internet chat board that, by definition, cannot answer the questions to your personal maintenance interaction with a mechanic.

I asked a general "do you think...?" No one but the tech knows if he truly "looked". It's speculative to guess how many possible additional people witnessed these things, so that's a dead end at shop level. That's why I asked for others (like this forum) opinions on if this actually happened.

Maybe someone can contribute to this thread with things like "he probably used a light test on the air filter" or "if he couldn't see through the fluid, they would recommend changing? It certainly would be a lot more of a contribution than yours.

Called upselling as their maybe more work lurking on car legit or not and you already have customer hooked in/car on lift so ask.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Without being a wise guy, I may have asked if checking my power steering fluid, air filter and cabin air filter was part of the suspension repairs. Then I would have told him your version and how fussy you are.

That's good. I could have done that. I was just relieved the repair needed was very minor. I was glad my guess of the bill ended way over.

For now, I've entered the techs notes into my spreadsheet.

Well it's pretty obvious to me from your description if the tech looked. Sounds like they are trying to upsell. They are likely just going off of vehicle mileage and what they think needs to be done.

What's be gained by proving the tech is wrong and you're right. Just say thanks for their recommendations, you'll think about it, and go on your way.

Service dept is the life blood of car dealerships. They have huge overhead in part due to the demands from the automaker so they have to find sources of revenue and of course incentivize(sp?) their employees to do exactly that.

Indies can charge less because the have lower overhead and don't have to meet earnings projections.

Last edited:
I don't like anybody touching anything under my hood unless they have to.

Check your Air Filter Cover and make sure it's correctly latched.
Don't want to be driving around for Months and finding it's loose and not filtering.

Most do upsell by mileage. An example would be 60k service so if you did it at home no way he would know unless he takes an actual inspection but companies do a free one and techs don't get paid. I used to do the inspection but lost lots of money as most customers have a vehicle that they can't afford. After note and insurance none left for repairs. They hope it breaks and warranty covers it.

I would be concerned about the comments if the vehicle was under warranty because if might come back to bite you if future warranty work was required.

Assuming he was wrong, I tend to not go back to places IF they do a hard upsell like this one. I prefer honesty and transparency.

I've worked in the business, and most of the time at least the dealer stores where I worked you didn't look, you just went by mileage. It's less than kosher
but again seems to happen at dealers, indy and chains too. Unfortunately the entire industry is sleazy and most of us know that.
My suggestion is like another person said, pay your bill and never return to that store. Discussing the matter will be like talking to a brick wall. They don't care
at all, even most indy shops don't care either.

Up sell. Plain and simple.

It's common.

I had fewer than 5,000 miles on a full set of four new Bilstein struts and shocks when I took the car in for its annual state inspection.

At the state inspection, the tech noted "shock and strut replacement recommended".

Based on what? The gleaming yellow paint? The tight handling and firm ride?

It's the service writer default setting: sell stuff.

I'd never suggest how they should do their job, but I'd be mad if they performed those services w/out asking.

I prefer to find a shop that's busy enough that they fix just what you came in for- within reason of course.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Firestone store that did my state inspection. Told me I needed a battery. Truck is just over two years old with 33,000 miles. I noticed that the tech had the high beams on (engine off) while the truck set in his bay for over 30 minutes. That's how he got the less than rated cold cranking amp test to try and sale the battery. Told the service advisor that if they plan to [censored] someone better do it in a less obvious way. They won't be sending me a birthday card this year... so sad.

Last edited:
Back