1.6 EB ,RL 5w20,18175 miles OCI,TAN>TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my UOA from my Volvo V40T2 2014 with an 1.6 ecoboost engine. I drive a lot of highway. Sometimes i drive 60 MPH and sometimes 110 MPH.
The TAN is very high but the metals are still low. The oil is diesel like dark but as far I can see the engine is klean.
The Lab is a German-Lab the Oelcheck.
We have here in fact two UOA`s from the same oil at about 15k and 18k.The 5w20 is now a 5w30 oil.

The TAN = 6.25, TBN=3,43.

GÖA .jpg

GÖA 2.jpg

Last edited:
My question is ... could this oil despite the high TAN go even longer?.If the wear metals are looking good and the viscosity isn`t a problem...I mean how often do we see Blackstone UOA`s with TBN of 2 and the TAN could be whell above TBN but they don`t test it so nobody knows how high the TAN really is.
I have emailed David Granquist from Red Line and his opinion was that I could go while longer on this OCI, and that the oxidation is a false reading because of Red Line`s high ester content.
I will try to do a year OCI, this could become a 24/25k miles OCI.
21.gif

Last edited:
I would have a hard time going a 25k mile OCI on a direct injection turbo engine. Though the wear metals are very low for the interval...

In order to know the true TAN you would have to have done a VOA to compare.

Last edited:
The oil definitely oxidized. The viscosity increased over 2 cSt @100C. I the TBN shows activive additive left but with TAN being almost twice the available TBN and a fair increase in viscosity I would change it and not push it longer than that. However still take into account what Dave at RL told you and ultimately it's your vehicle and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back