Recent Topics
Tire Mobility Kits
by wings&wheels - 06/02/20 12:06 PM
Worst accident you've witnessed
by Dave Sherman - 06/02/20 12:04 PM
Shock Fluid
by splinter - 06/02/20 11:21 AM
Michelin X-Ice 4 North for Canada ...
by odie - 06/02/20 11:03 AM
Rockauto code expires 8/2
by gallydif - 06/02/20 08:19 AM
The worst job you ever had?
by Chris142 - 06/02/20 08:04 AM
P218F on my Ford PSD
by Donald - 06/02/20 06:34 AM
Kudos to Griot's
by Egg_Head - 06/02/20 05:43 AM
Exide Battery files for bankruptcy
by Randol - 06/02/20 04:34 AM
Just one more wax question.
by rrretiree7 - 06/02/20 01:49 AM
Removing stuck bolts- interesting technique
by rubberchicken - 06/02/20 12:47 AM
Unless it is a misprint?
by 340_Magnum - 06/01/20 10:25 PM
Raymond Weil 5590 Watch Battery Replacement
by maverickfhs - 06/01/20 09:22 PM
Echo SRM 230 idling high
by CDX825 - 06/01/20 08:40 PM
Walmart in Canada closing Lube and Tire Express
by Snagglefoot - 06/01/20 08:26 PM
2012 Sonic - LCA puck bushing
by Number_35 - 06/01/20 06:44 PM
Rotate mags?
by marine65 - 06/01/20 06:40 PM
Newest Members
NewMex, RandyN11049, bbrtuning, chapys, DaaBoss
71593 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
87 registered members (2015_PSD, 14Accent, ABN_CBT_ENGR, 87sammy, 86cutlass307, 69GTX, 5 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,057
Posts5,286,600
Members71,593
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues #5397328 04/08/20 11:36 AM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
H
Hallj49803 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Has anyone here had an engine replacement on a Sonata with the 2.4 and then had to have a THIRD or more engine replacement done? Wondering how the replacement engines are doing....

Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5397485 04/08/20 03:05 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 261
R
rekit Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 261
63K on her 2016 Kia Optima original 2.4. Had the software update done. So far so good. I hope we got lucky.....She is not good at getting a car off the road from a fast lane even when it's running good. Doing 3500 oci w/5-30 Pennzoil Syn. It was a Hertz rental before we bought it, so who knows what they did. I read this fiasco was 2014's and down or I never would have bought it. Love the car tho.

Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5397678 04/08/20 06:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 963
W
walterjay Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 963
I follow the Hyundai forums. Have not seen one instance of a replacement 2.4 engine going bad. All seem good.

Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5397702 04/08/20 07:00 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,193
C
csandste Online Content
Online Content
C
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,193
Everyone knows that HyunKias have bad engines. Everyone (including me) knows that Nissan's have bad CVT's. Apparently (according to Alex on Autos quoting Consumer Reports) Nissan fixed those transmissions years ago. Reputations live on, apparently. Through experience I'm comfortable with the former but would be queasy about the latter. Maybe for no good reason.

Last edited by csandste; 04/08/20 07:01 PM.

2017 Kia Soul+ Valvoline Daily Protection 5w30+ a bit of Harvest King syn 5w30-- 75,000 miles
Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: rekit] #5397710 04/08/20 07:12 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,193
C
csandste Online Content
Online Content
C
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,193
Originally Posted by rekit
63K on her 2016 Kia Optima original 2.4. Had the software update done. So far so good. I hope we got lucky.....She is not good at getting a car off the road from a fast lane even when it's running good. Doing 3500 oci w/5-30 Pennzoil Syn. It was a Hertz rental before we bought it, so who knows what they did. I read this fiasco was 2014's and down or I never would have bought it. Love the car tho.

FWIW Girlfriend has Hertz '17 Optima. Rock solid. She's very happy she bought it.


2017 Kia Soul+ Valvoline Daily Protection 5w30+ a bit of Harvest King syn 5w30-- 75,000 miles
Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: csandste] #5397957 04/08/20 11:48 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,185
C
CKN Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,185
Originally Posted by csandste
Everyone knows that HyunKias have bad engines. Everyone (including me) knows that Nissan's have bad CVT's. Apparently (according to Alex on Autos quoting Consumer Reports) Nissan fixed those transmissions years ago. Reputations live on, apparently. Through experience I'm comfortable with the former but would be queasy about the latter. Maybe for no good reason.


ALL MOTORS - CERTAIN YEARS??........please elaborate.

I own one....but you must be more knowledgeable.

Last edited by CKN; 04/08/20 11:49 PM.
Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5398194 04/09/20 09:29 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,446
K
KCJeep Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,446
The Hyundai/Kia issue is restricted to their 4 cylinders, with the 2.4 being the biggest offender. I keep hearing how certain years are fixed, yet this year at work we lost not one but two Hyundai 1.6 4 cylinders with around 30k on them. They were 2018s so I am skeptical of the "fixed" assertions.

My daughter has a 15 Soul with the 2.0 and no issues at all though.


2018 VW Passat GT VR6 - 28k - Castrol Pro OE 5w40 - VW OEM filter
2012 KIA Sedona 107k - Valvoline Maxlife 5w30
2012 VW Tiguan 108k - Castrol 0w40
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, gone but not forgotten.
Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: KCJeep] #5398480 04/09/20 01:57 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
H
Hallj49803 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by KCJeep
The Hyundai/Kia issue is restricted to their 4 cylinders, with the 2.4 being the biggest offender. I keep hearing how certain years are fixed, yet this year at work we lost not one but two Hyundai 1.6 4 cylinders with around 30k on them. They were 2018s so I am skeptical of the "fixed" assertions.

My daughter has a 15 Soul with the 2.0 and no issues at all though.


My 2013 Sonata failed at 98,000 miles. It was uneventful. No weird noises or anything out of the ordinary except it stalled one day and started right back up. A week later it stalled again and was seized. Actually...it was burning oil because I had to add it a couple of times, but chalked it up to needing a new PCV valve or something. I had just put a new valve on it when it died.

Rewind to a friend of mine who owns a Kia around the same year with the same motor. Hers was VERY eventful. She was exiting the highway and when her engine seized the whole front end of the car also seized. She said it felt like she hit a tree. Luckily, she was off the road and Kia said that was a very rare instance... It is fixed and she said she would have gotten rid of it and got a different car altogether, but Kia treated her so well about the issue she decided to stick with it.

Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5400722 04/12/20 12:38 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,882
C
ChrisD46 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,882
I have a 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI with the software update - so far no engine issues except it burns more oil than my previous Hyundai / Kia PFI engines do . I run a D1/Gen 2 synthetic oil for 4K mile OCI's .


'17 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI 5W30 PUP / Fram Ultra #9688
'10 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L 5W30 (50%) / 5W20 (50%) QSUD / Fram Ultra #9688
'07 Kia Sedona 3.8L 5W30 Castrol EP / Fram Ultra #9999
Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5404886 04/16/20 09:47 AM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,026
Propflux01 Offline
Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,026
Try a 5w-30 in it. Those engines seem to like that better. Funny thing I’ve noticed, the wife’s 2.0gdi will use alittle oil when running pennzoil platinum, but doesn’t use oil when I use Mobil one. 5k intervals, and she has 87k on it now.


2014 Hyundai Elantra
2014 Hyundai Elantra GT
Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5405788 04/17/20 09:32 AM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 271
D
DweezilAZ Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 271

Last edited by DweezilAZ; 04/17/20 09:33 AM.
Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5406960 04/18/20 12:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 115
L
Loobit Offline
Offline
L
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 115
I'd stay away from the 2.4. Nothing but problems as they age and they always blow up on the highway. Almost every time a 2.4 Kia product with over 100k comes in, I can see from service history or looking at the engine alone that it's on its 2nd motor. Engines are warrantied at least. Hopefully the problem is solved with the new 2.5 engine. We've done so many engines in our shop that some of us can replace a 2.4 in a few hours! The Optimas are the easiest and the AWD Sorentos are the hardest.

Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5428467 05/13/20 05:49 PM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 234
R
Ram02 Offline
Offline
R
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 234
I hope the new updated 2.5 engine they using in the sonata is better built and doesn’t burn oil


2013 Malibu 2LT M1 5w30
2013 Accord Sport M1 AP 0w20
Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: Hallj49803] #5428881 05/14/20 08:55 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 147
R
ryster Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 147
My previous car was a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with the 2.4L GDI 4-cyl. Bought the car new, had the oil changed at the dealer every 5,000 miles. Kept the car for 5yrs and put 72,000 miles on it. By the time I traded it, the engine was going through a quart of oil every 800 miles (roughly every 3 weeks). No leaks anywhere. When it was time for an oil/filter change it had already had 6qts added in between. At that point it was just a frustration, so I was just topping it off with the cheapest conventional 5W20 I could find (usually SuperTech.) Shortly after I traded it, Hyundai announced the engine recall.

A co-worker has a 2012 Kia Optima with the 2.4L GDI as well, and has frequent check engine lights. Her independent mechanic basically tells her to go to the dealer since it is still under warranty.


2015 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
3.6L V6
Re: Hyundai 2.4 Engine Issues [Re: ryster] #5429017 05/14/20 10:50 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,702
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,702
Originally Posted by ryster
My previous car was a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with the 2.4L GDI 4-cyl. Bought the car new, had the oil changed at the dealer every 5,000 miles. Kept the car for 5yrs and put 72,000 miles on it. By the time I traded it, the engine was going through a quart of oil every 800 miles (roughly every 3 weeks). No leaks anywhere. When it was time for an oil/filter change it had already had 6qts added in between. At that point it was just a frustration, so I was just topping it off with the cheapest conventional 5W20 I could find (usually SuperTech.) Shortly after I traded it, Hyundai announced the engine recall.

A co-worker has a 2012 Kia Optima with the 2.4L GDI as well, and has frequent check engine lights. Her independent mechanic basically tells her to go to the dealer since it is still under warranty.


I hope you advised her to check the oil frequently. My girlfriend's 2013 doesn't use oil yet, but it gets changed every 3 months which is 2k miles. It hasn't really gone anywhere the past few months though. Maybe 100 miles.


84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
05 Silverado 1500 4wd - 4.8/4L60E
79 Honda CX500
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™