Mustang 4.6L spark plug change

Status
Not open for further replies.
With not much to do these days so we
Changed out the plugs in the 2008 Mustang 4.6L
106,000 miles on the factory plugs and still look pretty good.
Could have gone longer, but for $40 bucks what the heck.

E2856CE6-D58E-4E9F-84CC-05FC84D2B60B.jpeg

I don't think those are the factory plugs..... I just did the plugs on my 2007 GT 4.6 last weekend and Ford uses a 2 piece spark plug that looks nothing like your picture.

Ya know I didn't even check the gap on the old plugs.
I'll check the trash and see if I find one. That's a good question though
Thanks

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
I don't think those are the factory plugs..... I just did the plugs on my 2007 GT 4.6 last weekend and Ford uses a 2 piece spark plug that looks nothing like your picture.

I believe in MY 2008 Ford changed it's spark plug design for their modular engines back to the "normal" style plug from the most troublesome 2 piece design.

Whimsey

I see what your saying about the factory style plug.
Wonder if the engine being a Bullitt motor makes a difference
I'm not the original owner, but It only had around 30K when purchased so I'd think that's way early for a plug change but who knows

Bullitt would not make any difference, I just looked it up and yeah they changed over the style of spark plug 8 months after my car was manufactured.

The plug design changed in 2008 to what OP has.

1) OMG Those have been anti-seized! The Anti Anti-Seize League will come knockin' at your door.

2) 2 piece spark plug?? I'll Google it (ha-ha, beat you to it) but I never heard of 2 piece spark plugs.

Originally Posted by Kira
1) OMG Those have been anti-seized! The Anti Anti-Seize League will come knockin' at your door.

I put that [censored] on everything.

Thought this was going to be a complaint session about the older plugs like on my '07 Explorer with the 3V 4.6. Did those this weekend and broke 3 of them. Already had the lisle tool handy and extracted what was left of them no problem.

[Linked Image]

Yup! that's what mine looked like. I love my Fords, but I was cursing at them when I had to spend $70 on a tool to remove 2 plugs.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
Is possible to replace that awful design with a newer plugs??

Yes, Ford and aftermarket have already addressed that. Almost any new plugs you buy will be redesigned and not break like the OE junk.

The 4.6 3V got the same setup as the 5.4, so the 2006 and 2007 Explorers got the bad plugs. The ones I pulled out had been in 9 years and 90,000 miles (yes, about 30,000 miles too long). I put them off since I didn;t want to deal with them till i developed a noticeable misfire issue.

At least on the Explorer, the plugs are accessible - no wobbles, etc... like on the F150 or Expedition....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back