About to tackle Head Gasket on my 2012 CT200h tomorrow

Good to go. Initially lost a bunch of coolant while filling up the reservoir since I left a couple hoses disconnected. Gave it a 7.5 mile test drive and zero leaks. Runs smooth as a Lexus should. Initially got a " Check Hybrid System" message, but that disappeared after first run then shut down and start up.

Big test is tomorrow morning cold if I get a rough start, which is the symptoms of this generation Prius motor and EGR and/or Head Gasket issues. Thanks for all the advice guys, I really do appreciate it and hopefully this thread will help others with this generation Prius/Lexus motor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

At least you know how to do it. If it fails, the head will need resurfacing. But now you have the experience to do it quicker. Nice job.

Originally Posted by spasm3
At least you know how to do it. If it fails, the head will need resurfacing. But now you have the experience to do it quicker. Nice job.

Don't Jinx me bro
lol.gif

Originally Posted by MPDano
Originally Posted by spasm3

Don't Jinx me bro
lol.gif

No i hope it goes well, but i would have had a machine shop check the head.

Congratulations!

What was the most challenging part of that project? I'll guess re-installing the timing cover.

Originally Posted by CR94
Congratulations!

What was the most challenging part of that project? I'll guess re-installing the timing cover.

It all wasn't too bad, except for that famous hard to get to lower egr cooler bolt, lol.

Congrats!

Originally Posted by CR94
Congratulations!

It all wasn't too bad, except for that famous hard to get to lower egr cooler bolt, lol.

Deep 12mm and a 3" wobble extension, IIRC, makes it a lot easier.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Any pics of the head and it's gasket surface?

Nope. Never turned it upside down as I didn't want to mark and remove all the rockers.

Day 2. Head gasket installed and cams reinstalled and all torqued down, new Felpro seals installed. Head surface verified using a metal flat edge for any warpage. Timing all lined up. Hopefully to button it all up today and give it overnight for the RTV to cure overnight. FYI, top head needs to be removed in order to get to the head bolts.

You can also see on the old head gasket, all the raised ridges are non existent anymore. Hence, opportunity for leaks.

[Linked Image]

I know this is a bit late, but after you took that picture, I assume you went back and applied RTV under the head gasket and on top of the head gasket (in the specified areas) before installing the cyl head, correct?

0A152262-C87D-489B-AAB5-55686C0F6241.png

Nope. Never turned it upside down as I didn't want to mark and remove all the rockers.

You never cleaned the the head gasket mating surface on the head?

Originally Posted by The Critic
Day 2. Head gasket installed and cams reinstalled and all torqued down, new Felpro seals installed. Head surface verified using a metal flat edge for any warpage. Timing all lined up. Hopefully to button it all up today and give it overnight for the RTV to cure overnight. FYI, top head needs to be removed in order to get to the head bolts.

You can also see on the old head gasket, all the raised ridges are non existent anymore. Hence, opportunity for leaks.

[Linked Image]

I know this is a bit late, but after you took that picture, I assume you went back and applied RTV under the head gasket and on top of the head gasket (in the specified areas) before installing the cyl head, correct?

Yes sir, made sense if you look at where the surfaces meet.

Originally Posted by mattd

Yes, cleaned it by lifting up with 1 hand and using my free hand to wipe it down. Nothing to scrape off as the OEM gasket is metal. This was a 100% 1 man job.

Originally Posted by mattd

Yes, cleaned it by lifting up with 1 hand and using my free hand to wipe it down. Nothing to scrape off as the OEM gasket is metal. This was a 100% 1 man job.

There was no sealant, marks or erosion to the fire rings?

There's usually some elastomer coating that sticks/transfers to the head surface from the head gasket & needs to be carefully cleaned off. Same with the block deck.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
There's usually some elastomer coating that sticks/transfers to the head surface from the head gasket & needs to be carefully cleaned off. Same with the block deck.

Exactly what I'm getting at.

Well, all I can say is I cleaned it off. I wouldn't put it back on if the surface wasn't absolutely free of any oil/coolant or even rtv. After fully cleaning it, I made sure it was not warped using a metal straight edge at all angles. Before I put the head back on, I had my wife wipe the surface with a clean towel with alcohol on it. Just because I didn't take a picture, doesn't mean it wasn't done. I've got over 100 miles on it now, and not one leak or signs of an issue.

Back