Touch up paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a couple of chips in my honda civic already. i was gonna get some honda factory touch up paint ,but some of the reviews on Amazon says its does not match well. one place i found online ask for a extra code. is the extra code really needed ? nh830m is the code for my car.

so anyone have experience with this company or can recommend another place online to get quality touch up paint.

https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_...Civic-Lunar-Silver-Metallic-NH-830M.html

Metallic paint never matches from a touch-up. The most you can hope for is that they made an honest attempt and it isn't much lighter or darker.

I have heard Doctor Color Chip is good. I used the OEM Volkswagen paint pen for our 2014 Jetta in Platinum Grey Metallic and it dried much darker than the paint.

I've heard the better results have to do with a layer or two of clearcoat after the initial touch up color is layed in.
"Leveling" the chip has a lot to do with how light is reflected and hits the surface.

The last touch up job I had was Brembro brakes on the Infiniti, a very weird golden color. One day, I noted a Civic in town that had to be so close it was good enough. Went straight to the Honda dealer and order the 'pen'.
It worked well but those calipers are well hidden so perfect or close enough ? Who knows ....
lol.gif

The touch up paint that I have for my Tacoma and Camry match extremely well. You have to make sure you shake the container for a minute or two to mix the paint properly. I would say most of the complaints are user error and should be ignored. There are plenty of people that don't have a clue, ignore the noise.

Could you further describe the "color code" as we know it and then describe this "extra code".

For example: Are "both" codes on a plate or sticker?
Is the "extra code" possibly just a date code?
Could the "extra code" be an assembly plant code?

There's gotta be something to that.

Ive been satisfied with paint scratch. As others have said, it's tough to get a great match on metallics, especially if the paint is aged.

Originally Posted by Kira
Could you further describe the "color code" as we know it and then describe this "extra code".

For example: Are "both" codes on a plate or sticker?
Is the "extra code" possibly just a date code?
Could the "extra code" be an assembly plant code?

There's gotta be something to that.

my code is U

https://www.paintscratch.com/hondatag.htm

I have tried Dr. Colorchip twice. Both times for cars with metallic paint. I followed the directions to a T regarding stirring up the paint and shaking it as well. In the case of the paint on my Nissan 370Z, the touch up paint was noticeably lighter. In the case of my Mazda CX 5, the paint was noticeably darker. Both were used when the cars were only a few months old and got their first rock chips so the factory paint hadn't faded. Good thing the chips to be repaired were just small rock chips or they would really stand out.

Their suggested technique of smearing the paint blob over the chip area with a latex gloved finger or thumb is one of the stupidest suggestions ever. I used a small wedge shaped silicone squeegee that came with a screen protector kit for a cell phone which worked very well. Why Dr. Colorchip doesn't include something like that with their very expensive kit is beyond me. I got one with a cell phone screen protector that cost under $10.

They actually do include a silicone squeegee with the more expensive kits. I've had very good results with Dr. Colorchip. The color isn't always a 100% perfect match but neither are dealer touch-up paints in most cases. I imagine some are closer than others. Just got a promo code email today for 18% off: TOGETHER

[Linked Image from drcolorchip.com]

I am far from a pro detailer/paint corrector but have tried numerous aftermarket touch up paints over the years. The best match has always been the touch-up paint I get at the dealer body shop (Honda black was perfect). The only caveat is that the dealer paint is just a bottle of paint and doesn't provide the additional equipment like the aftermarket kits do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back