Valvoline daily protection "synthetic blend" spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Would this be the new "Durablend"?

No. It has a stronger add pack and is LSPI and SN+. I would use this over Durablend.

Originally Posted by tiger862

No. It has a stronger add pack and is LSPI and SN+. I would use this over Durablend.

What? The new durablend is Dexos 1G2 and sn+.

According to valvoline (email) durablend is essentially a full syn in order to meet those specs. They kept the blend labeling for commercial purposes.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
wonder if that packaging and fancy easy pour cap costs more than the oil inside?

i doubt it.

Originally Posted by BLND1

What? The new durablend is Dexos 1G2 and sn+.

According to valvoline (email) durablend is essentially a full syn in order to meet those specs. They kept the blend labeling for commercial purposes.

No Chrysler or Ford Specs. It's funny if an oils main spec is Dexos then it qualifies as a stout oil. Any oil is only good for consumers whose vehicle specs are needed. Not everyone drives GM products.

But the GM spec is more of a rigorous test, that's why people respect it. If i remember correctly the chrysler spec is kind of a joke.

I'd rather have synthetic blend and most times I use conventional, never full, most cases however insignificant, wear numbers on blends will be lower.
Synthetic is great if you dont change your oil on time but for best wear there is no difference between the 3 with a slight bias to blends, splitting hairs.
There is good stuff in conventional oil that the hydro cracking process removes when turning it into full synthetic removes from oil.

18.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I'd rather have synthetic blend and most times I use conventional, never full, most cases however insignificant, wear numbers on blends will be lower.
Synthetic is great if you dont change your oil on time but for best wear there is no difference between the 3 with a slight bias to blends, splitting hairs.
There is good stuff in conventional oil that the hydro cracking process removes when turning it into full synthetic removes from oil.

18.gif

The conventional is hydrocracked also.

Originally Posted by JoelB
But the GM spec is more of a rigorous test, that's why people respect it. If i remember correctly the chrysler spec is kind of a joke.

By whose standards. You never read in Chrysler,Ford or any other owners manual you need to meet GM specs cause they know what they are doing and our spec is weak. All manufacturers have stringent standards that must be met just oil companies put Dexos on label cause it cost them for license.

Has anyone spotted the new bi-weekly weekend protection formula for turbo Korean cars? J/k

Valvoline is a good blender I'm sure it's decent. I'd expect the Noack to be on the higher end. Not surprised they made a blend due to cost.

Valvoline Conventional in a few viscosities is a blend, e.g. 5w-30 which I personally bought a few jugs of while it was on sale at about US$9 per 5L jug.
DI engines do benefit from extra cleaning PP or alike oils provide while a regular MPI engines will be just as happy with VWB oil.

Originally Posted by dave1251

18.gif

The conventional is hydrocracked also.

Ummm ... doubt very much its 100% hydro cracked but definitely a terrific product at much lower "mark up" to the manufacturer ... but again ...
the perfect reason to pay $2.60 per quart for conventional oil vs $5.00 a quart for "full synthetic" (and change it on time).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by BLND1
Store Brand oil meets minimum standards whether Supertech, Napa, Carquest etc. If you want full protection with latest updates then get a name brand. Warren, Valvoline etc. makes one base for their own products and another for their customers. Ask how I know, I called and even posted the response I got in an email. When ask if it met spec the answer was simple. Yes it meets minimum API spec which meets your automobile license but if you want your vehicle spec you can use our premium product. Looking at specs premium product is latest formulas and store brands have older formulas that still meet specs. Nothing wrong with it just not the latest formulas that don't have the backing of major oil companies (ie Valvoline won't back Napa). If you ever have a problem with the oil you must rely on store you bought it from. These are facts.

Supertech shares the same DEXOS1G2 approval as MAG1 (a highly regarded oil). They are nominally similar, if not the same.

Re-brand companies like warren are LOATHE to say that everything they make is similar/same. You'll get everything but a straight answer. Look at the approvals.

I would say they are the same product. It wouldn't make financial sense for them to make a slightly different one. These are house-brand geared products blended and tested to meet the minimums for their respective approvals as cost effectively as possible so that they can still make a healthy profit.

I once looked up the warren supertech by upc code. It pulled up a wpp msds. Back before supertech was even advertised as meeting dexos it was listed on that same msds. Pretty much all supertech is wpp now days. I also think it's just about the same thing as mag1 of not exactly.

Warren Oil manufactures and bottles a wide range of oils for many companies with their own names including many of Walmarts Super Tech. (depending on location in the USA)

Mag1 Is Warrens own Brand Name - Click here

Last edited:
Warren Oil manufactures and bottles a wide range of oils for many companies with their own names including many of Walmarts Super Tech. (depending on location in the USA)

Mag1 Is Warrens own Brand Name - Click here

Been almost a year but I can't let this go. It's WPP NOT Warren Oil.

Wrong! Warren Distribution makes SuperTech. I have the emails from them to prove it. Mag1 and SuperTech are EXTREMELY similar but WD says they are not the same formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back