Bad experience with Monroe strut assembly

Sachs and KYB would be my economical suggestions. If you happen to come across a few hacked gold cards (joking please don't break the law) then Bilistein and KW and Fortune all make really nice stuff. Monroe was good many years ago, but now they are now bottom of the barrel at least handling and control wise.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
for my Honda's front driveshaft, The Napa Maxdrive part caused a vibration. Paid almost double for genuine Honda, and the problem disappeared.

Have you tried Raxles? I heard good things about them, and they rebuild axles for all Hondas.

Does Honda actually sell OEM new non-reman axles? I've only been able to find OE new axles from Ford, GM, and some German cars.
And worse, some "factory/dealer/OEM" remans are Cardone
mad.gif

Originally Posted by IndyIan
My new KYB quickstruts were clunking a bit when I installed them. I found that the top nut was a bit loose on one, so I hit it with the impact and the noise has stopped. Good struts otherwise.

Monroe had the same problem for awhile.Maybe the nuts aren't tight enough again
cry.gif

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
for my Honda's front driveshaft, The Napa Maxdrive part caused a vibration. Paid almost double for genuine Honda, and the problem disappeared.

Have you tried Raxles? I heard good things about them, and they rebuild axles for all Hondas.

Does Honda actually sell OEM new non-reman axles? I've only been able to find OE new axles from Ford, GM, and some German cars.
And worse, some "factory/dealer/OEM" remans are Cardone
mad.gif

Originally Posted by IndyIan
My new KYB quickstruts were clunking a bit when I installed them. I found that the top nut was a bit loose on one, so I hit it with the impact and the noise has stopped. Good struts otherwise.

Monroe had the same problem for awhile.Maybe the nuts aren't tight enough again
cry.gif
I'm bringing up a dead thread but on my car, the nut on top has to be torqued to spec when the car is on the ground or when the suspension is jacked up.

I put monroe quick struts on 2 years ago. Left front made a popping sound from day 1. Turned out to be the dust boot when compressed.

otherwise they’ve been good. 60 000km so far.

OEM or KYB for me now.....
Yup... Had to send back Monroe (rear) shocks for my Buick. One unit came completely frozen in place. Purchased KYB's and no problems.

Monroe "Quick Struts" are not the same quality as they once were years ago. In fact... MOST "quick struts" are garbage. KYB's are really the only good choice left. I've looked around and that's the consensus.

I had to install some rear quick struts on my 2006 Ford Five Hundred from O'Reilly's. They are really just Sensen Ready Struts sold as O'Reilly's house brand.

They ride decent so far. We'll see how well they last.

Back