OEM parts... what does it mean to you?

To me OE parts means that it comes from the manufacturer of the vehicle with their logo on it or a manufacturer's parts company like AC Delco, Motocraft, Mopar etc... in the case of GM brands, Ford brands, and Chrysler brands. I like how Rock Auto will tip you off on somethings though, like NTK makes the Nissan oxygen sensors, so they will tell you the NTK makes the OE sensors so you know that it's ok to buy the NTK part instead of paying extra for Nissan to slap their logo on it.

Last edited:
Example - Rear Brake Pads for a 10-15 RX350/11-18 Sienna. Part #04466-0E010.

Genuine: Brake Pads sold in a red toyota box. The pads are made by Akebono in Japan.

OE: Hypothetically, if Akebono sold the exact-same formula in their own box, which does not happen.

OES: Toyota's service line replacement for this application, which is #04466-AZ109. These pads are acceptable for use during customer-pay brake jobs but are actually made by Advics. The formula is slightly different than what the car is originally equipped with.

OEM: Any set of brake pads made by Akebono, even if they are not the same formula as the pads that are sold in the Toyota. For example, Akebono Proact pads would qualify as "OEM" pads for this application since Akebono was the original supplier, even though the ProACT is very different than the pads that Akebono supplied to Toyota.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Same parts as what the car came with from the factory.

Nope.

Last edited:

If it is a BMW car, is it OEM if:

1. BMW branded part originally made by Bosch
2. Bosch part identical to #1 but with BMW logo ground off
3. Bosch part but not obviously identical to #1

Originally Posted by PimTac

Uh , no.

Always posting helpful replies.

Originally Posted by brages

If it is a BMW car, is it OEM if:

1. BMW branded part originally made by Bosch
2. Bosch part identical to #1 but with BMW logo ground off
3. Bosch part but not obviously identical to #1

1 and 2, not 3.

Originally Posted by The Critic
OEM: Any set of brake pads made by Akebono, even if they are not the same formula as the pads that are sold in the Toyota. For example, Akebono Proact pads would qualify as "OEM" pads for this application since Akebono was the original supplier, even though the ProACT is very different than the pads that Akebono supplied to Toyota..

I think you're confusing the term, OEM part from the term, OEM manufacturer. In this example it's NOT an OEM part but it is from an OEM manufacturer.

Originally Posted by The Critic
OEM: Any set of brake pads made by Akebono, even if they are not the same formula as the pads that are sold in the Toyota. For example, Akebono Proact pads would qualify as "OEM" pads for this application since Akebono was the original supplier, even though the ProACT is very different than the pads that Akebono supplied to Toyota..

I think you're confusing the term, OEM part from the term, OEM manufacturer. In this example it's NOT an OEM part but it is from an OEM manufacturer.

In the aftermarket world, many shops feel OEM manufacturer = OEM part, and that is how they justify charging dealer part pricing for "OEM manufacturer" parts.

OE= The parts that came on the vehicle when it shipped from the manufacturer
OES= Original Equipment Supplier, maybe one of many parts suppliers to the manufacturer and parts are wrapped and branded with the vehicle manufactures trademark.
OEM= Original Equipment Manufacturer, may be produced on the same assembly line as OES but without the packaging and branding usually at a lower cost than OES.

My guesses:
OE- original equipment part identical to what was delivered with the car new. Like Toyota brand
OES- original equipment supplier, or made to OE standard, don't know which. Beck Arnley may be an example.
OEM- original equipment manufacturer, they make the OE and their own version. Like Denso versus Toyota Denso.

I guess someone else said about the same.

It means it come from the manufacturer rather than their OEM. For example it is a Toyota part and not a Nippon Denso. I know they should be the same in theory but that's not what my definition of OEM means.

Last edited:
OEM
An original equipment manufacturer is a company that produces parts and equipment that may be marketed by another manufacturer.
For example, Foxconn, a Taiwanese electronics company, manufactures parts and equipment for OEMs including Apple, Dell, Google, Huawei and Nintendo.

The OEM sells to a VAR - Value Added Reseller.
The VAR and OEM work closely; the OEM provides components based on the VAR's specifications.

These are terms used in manufacturing; specifically in Supply Chain Management.

A manufacturing company can be an OEM, a VAR or both.
FYI, The Critic wins the prize.

Last edited:

Uh, yes.

That's what it means to me and atikovi. You don't have to agree. You just have your own definition.

That's what it means to me. You can't prove me wrong as this is what I mean when I say it. Unless you are some kind of mind reader.

For clarification, Toyota has 2 lines of brake pads. A cheap line to compete with cheap pads like you buy in places other than Toyota/Lexus and a primo line like came on your car when it was new.
The cheap line is not OEM even though it comes in a Toyota box.

Last edited:
Here is how FCP Euro defines it: link

OEM parts are produced by a manufacturer that meets the high quality standards and produces at least one part for a vehicle manufacturer.

Based on this definition, because Febi makes a part for a car manufacturer, any Febi part for any car is an "OEM" part.

Originally Posted by brages
Here is how FCP Euro defines it: link

OEM parts are produced by a manufacturer that meets the high quality standards and produces at least one part for a vehicle manufacturer.

Based on this definition, because Febi makes a part for a car manufacturer, any Febi part for any car is an "OEM" part.

Again, confusion. Only the parts that Febi makes that the manufacturer uses on the production line would be called an "OEM" part. Now FCP Euro sells parts so they may not have the most impartial definition.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
My guesses:
OE- original equipment part identical to what was delivered with the car new. Like Toyota brand
OES- original equipment supplier, or made to OE standard, don't know which. Beck Arnley may be an example.
OEM- original equipment manufacturer, they make the OE and their own version. Like Denso versus Toyota Denso.

I guess someone else said about the same.

Pretty much this.

Back